1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2019 Tires cupping on the inside- 19k miles

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Rick Schlosser, Sep 12, 2020.

1. Rick Schlosser

Rick Schlosser New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Just finished my last Toyota care maintenance on my 2019. Told them to check the tires because they were making some strange noises when coming to a stop. They checked and said all four of my tires have abnormal wear. (inside cupping) All rotations were done according to the manual (every 5K) and the dealer don't think the manufacturer will warranty them. (17 inch Yokohama Blu Earth S34)
    I'm frustrated! My Gen 3 tires always wore evenly and were good for 60k miles. I'm worried if I swap out these tires with only 19k miles that the new ones will wear funny too.
    Not sure if I got bad tires, or have an alignment issue, or strut, etc?
    Anyone else having issues at such a low mileage??

2. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    cupping? Sounds like struts or really bad balance...

Tires cup on the inside due to severe suspension issues. More rarely, such a pattern is caused by bad wheel bearings, loose ball joints, damaged control arm or steering linkage. You need to go to a repair shop and run a full diagnosis on the suspension and other parts that connect the wheel to the car.

Rick Schlosser and alanclarkeau like this.
  3. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's what I thought - or just wheel alignment.

Have you had the alignment checked - (and tyre balance)? That's where I'd start - an alignment would show up anything else hopefully.

Not sure what alignment issue could cause that, but in some instances, the wear will be compensated on the other side (I know that with toe, not sure about camber or castor) - meaning both left and right will be worn. Then when the tyers are rotated front to back - it affects the other pair too.

It's a problem with rotating tyres. This is the first car in ages where I've allowed them to rotate - I got sick of arguing with them. But, with them rotated, you can't really tell which corner (or at least end) of the car caused the wear. Theoretically, the tyres should stay on the same side - but I remain unconvinced.

Rick Schlosser likes this.
  4. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Typically it is said that cupping can be cause by bad shocks.
    All four, may be related to the tire rotation, so is may be only one or two corners, front or rear?
    Yet a 2019 car, maybe something is loose.

Best bet, do an alignment.

FWIW.
    Inspect your shocks?
    Anything loose? Any shock oil leakage?
    Further step, check the bolt torque on everything suspension related.
    Make sure the rims are not bent.
    Last resort, re-balance the tires.

Good luck and let us know what is found.

Rick Schlosser and alanclarkeau like this.