1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2019 vs. 2020 prime

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by eveyo, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The XLE he got was a Prius, not a Prime. It seems it got Toyota's standard trim labels earlier.

benagi likes this.
  2. GSK

GSK Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    so i there any way to use an app to turn on climate control in the 2020? I don't mean the key fob remote, I am asking specifically if there is a way to do this using an app. I understand the ability was removed from the Prime apps, but can that Alexa do it? I would much rather have this than Apple or Android Auto. Why can't they coexist with Entune?

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good point. Does Alexa work both ways? Car to home and home to car. I think it does.

Doesn’t help us Canadians since we don’t have Alexa either.

4. avongil

avongil Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hey, is there a way to find out what regions are offering incentives on the 2019 prime upwards of $3,500? I live in Easton PA, and am thinking of taking a train to a dealer in MA to get a Prime. $2,500 is a great excuse to go on a micro vacation!

5. smyles

smyles Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Maryland is much closer. And surprisingly my dealer had no issues sending me the incentives list, but it was for July.

6. avongil

avongil Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I did figure out MD had $3,500 incentives by just plugging in area codes. Reserved a Ti Glow Premium and am set to pick it up on Friday.

AG

7. eveyo

eveyo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    hey guys so I decided to purchase a 2019 premium after considering the 2020 considering the prices and what you get in the 2020s.

late in the deal I noticed some scratches on a small panel near the tire . I was split on walking away but the dealer was good to me from the start and it was a very good deal. The dealer tried to buff then out but it seems just little deeper than buffing can get through. they are going to readdress it

was wondering if anyone had similar experiences? although not ideal guess a new car cant necessarily be 100% pristine.just feeling some what eh considering was new car

if they want to address it and repaint does that affect the resale value?

#47 eveyo, Aug 7, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats!

it happens quite often. our hycam had a ton of fingernail scratches behind the door pulls. they did the best they could, but black paint is tough to do much with unless you repaint.
    six years later, who notices?

9. benagi

benagi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I forgot to stipulate Prius Prime, not just any Prius.

10. eveyo

eveyo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    hey guys. I purchased a 2019 prius prime. I want your guys opinion on something I'm constantly thinking about. When buying the car I was torn between the magnetic gray and silver. Gray was my preference but at the time the deal I could get on a silver was $505 less for the same car. Retrospectively I keep thinking $505 isn't much in the long run but other people I talk to say silver is a good color and that the gray isn't worth the extra price. Was wondering your guys thoughts on the two colors. Thanks guys

11. smyles

smyles Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Well, it depends. Is it your only car? Just an appliance for commute, or a pinnacle of desires?

Trollbait likes this.
  12. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    They are both a grey that can fade into the back ground and be unseen by other drivers.

I generally have more concern for what the interior looks like of the car I'm driving.

13. eveyo

eveyo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    this is my only car and daily driver. The more I look at it in person, the Silver looks good. Its just that feeling I keep having..should I have spent the extra money for the gray.

The interior is black. Haha that is a good point about fading into the background.

14. smyles

smyles Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Silver/black is the most boring combo, that's for sure. On plus side, you'll never need to wash it.

15. Clark_Kent

Clark_Kent Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Magnetic Gray Metallic was my first choice but I ended up with Classic Silver Metallic. Supply, price and dealership experience pushed me toward the Classic Silver Metallic. I have no regrets. While silver is often referred to as a "boring" color, I'm less concerned. My Prime is a mundane commuter car, not a GT2 RS Porsche. I'll be fine.

16. Blauer Glimmer

Blauer Glimmer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Silver definitely shows less dirt than the darker gray

Prius from Dad likes this.
  17. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I wish I had searched harder for a Sonic with a red interior after getting mine, but I ended up with an orange one instead of a white, black, silver, or grey, which were the options for the color interior. If I had waited a year, I could have had Dragon green, which I think would have been totally worth it.

I get the second guessing, but it is something not truly worth the mental energy. Now, if we were discussing that dream car you wanted since a kid, that would be different.

18. Shaunius

Shaunius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    7.) Moonstone Interior Inserts - Have changed from black to light gray.

19. Taynos

Taynos New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I was faced with similar decision and went with the New 2019 Premium with the $3500 rebate. Considering the guts and core components within the Body and Engine hasn't changed in years (Since '17 or 18 I believe? ) made the decision much easier. We don't have a family so the 5th seat not as important to us and I like the look without it. I do agree with the points that resale value would be much better with the extra seat and feel like future Uber/Lyft drivers might look at that as a deal breaker on the resale market. But I don't think the resale value upgrade would beat $3500 rebate (which is guaranteed today) down the road but as I will explain, the savings between the '19 and '20 ended up being much more as I was able to get the out the door price even lower because they want to move them '19s out.

With the rebates and some negotiation I landed a 2019 Blizzard White Premium at $24,600 before taxes and fees.

The similar mid trim model 2020 XLE in Blizzard White is MSRP 31,245, but with Certified Dealer Discount (Around $800 off) it's really more like $30,295. (Blizzard White is an upgrade exterior color +$395 which I didn't have to pay as well)

At the end of the day I saved $5,695 between the 2019 and 2020 with the some additional negotiation. Yes I miss Apple Carplay. Yes the 11.6 screen is a complete waste of space once the wow factor is over (doesn't take long) The software and UI is straight out of Windows 95. I'm sure Carplay is a huge upgrade here just to get something useful out of that screen so you can use google maps or Waze for Nav. But I have Big iPhone and car mount so not the biggest deal, I just turn the damn screen off at night so I don't have to look at and be reminded of how big of waste of space it is.

Yes I REALLY wanted the Black Exterior which wasn't offered until 2020. Yes the car has less new car smell than a 2020. Yes it was probably test driven a bunch. Yes it sat on the lot for a year. But the car came with 72 miles and had untouched VIN. So I can still get all the Federal , California Rebates and HOV Stickers. Fed tax Credit and Cali CVRP rebates combine to $6k. So now I am at 18,600 (Before Taxes and DMV Fees )

I am freaking ecstatic with the car and the deal even though there are couple things I hate about it, the MPG is like off the charts good and what I like is that they underpromised and over delivered there. they say 55mpg I'm getting 63mpg Highway right now, if I have a charged battery, I'm over 70 on long commutes (70-80 MPH) Love strategically switching between EV and Hybrid based on conditions, very fun. Adaptive Cruise Control works very well for stop and go traff on highway ( A huge concern of mine)

But to each their own. I can certainly see the point for going for the 2020 if the upgrades really matter to your lifestyle, I do think Apple Carplay is pretty huge to save face with the giant screen. But If the upgrades don't matter , run don't walk to grab the 2019 before the rebate runs out IMO and the fact that there are other savings to be had if you can negotiate a bit and willing to take a color other than Magnetic Gray or Blizzard White which seam to be the most popular ones and seem to be gone here in So Cal. (there a about a million Turquoise ones that prob can be had for cheap, I remember a dealership offered me one for 24k at one point.) The deal is so good if you look at the used marked you can literally get a cheaper new 2019 than used one right now with all the incentives and rebates.

Funny enough in retrospect, I might have gone with a new 2019 Plus and saved and extra 2-3k as I cannot stand the Softex interior as it gets so hot and sweaty on long commutes. (I will admit it looks slick , cleans well and on short drives there are no problems) but I drive long distances in So Cal and I literally need to change clothes after driving it, it's that bad. And I've read around here swapping out the radio on the plus is possible because it's not connected to climate controls( but don't quote me on that.) I'm sure I'm missing some other upgrades between the premium and plus that I do appreciate so I don't dwell on that too much.

Apologies for the long post, thought I would share my experience. Whichever way you choose, I think the Primes are incredible value with all the incentives out there. I'm just gonna have to get some seat covers for the Sweatex, I mean Softex seats...

#59 Taynos, Aug 24, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
    elementnomore and Arctic_White like this.
  20. Imagine

Imagine Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    We went with a 2019 (Plus) also. The $3500 incentive was very hard to turn down. Didn't really consider the child-sized "5th seat" a necessity. I really like the hubcap design on the 2020s vs the 2019, but that's not a vehicle seller lol. The lack of CarPlay is really the only thing that bugs me personally, but the car is for my older parents anyway. I don't imagine that they'd use that feature very much. For the next car it's going to be a must have. Thinking another Prime, but hoping a Prius EV comes into existence at some point. EV mode is such a tease, and has definitely whetted the appetite for more.