1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured 2020 Corolla Hybrid Sedan (Yes, for the US)

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, Nov 16, 2018.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    undermining? Toyota/Lexus runs negative & dishonest ads, that an EV is for people that have 4 hours to waste?
    Lexus-talking-trash-on-EVs-1.png
    I think the undermining is the company that would do a hit job like that. The "undermining" is done when companies like Toyota invest billions on a failing fuel cell project that takes away money that could be better spent on an EV. The undermining takes place when manufacturers fear losing big governmental investment dollars because the competition's success means they will lose those giant investment funds.
    [quote ] Other automakers are also diversifying ...snip....[/QUOTE] yes ... they are, even as others like Nissan Renault Ford & Daimler are pulling out of their failed hydrogen boondoggle projects.
    Fuel cell cars hit roadblock as Nissan-Renault pulls out - Nikkei Asian Review
    So you see, if manufacturers successful projects demolishe the other manufacturers projects that are on life support, they have to use dirty tactics to survive government funding cuts. It's not a coincidence that Toyota can't go feet-first with a long range EV when so much of their money - as well as government money is being channeled into the fuel-cell black hole. These scenarios are completely independent of the notion that it's just us crazy early adapters that want a long-range all-electric from Toyota. Making that claim gets more & more shallow as 1000's of model 3's get delivered every week & are now being sold worldwide successfully.
    EV's success - now being done with less & less incentives - even as the fuel-cell lobby tries to suck up more money & extend more over more time - are inextricably linked.

#61 hill, Feb 13, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    Ashlem, MagnusAG99 and Trollbait like this.
  2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I’d like the Prius to go to PHV as standard. The question is will the Prius stay as a hatchback or will it be offered as a different body style. I suspect it will stay as a hatch (liftback). A stylish wagon would be nice and it can hide a large battery but Honda can package a large battery in a sedan body style. If Toyota can bring the cost of the battery down (whether it’s Li-Ion or some other chemistry) then maybe they can offset the savings with a liquid cooling TMS.

If the Prius continues to be their test bed for advanced technology, I’d like to see the next gen batteries on the next gen Prime or full BEV.

MagnusAG99 likes this.
  3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I don't think it either, thus the emoticon.

Toyota and Japan are currently heavily invested in hydrogen fuel cells. I don't see that changing until after the Olympics. Until then, only China will get BEVs as they require them. The Prius may become PHEV only, but the announced roll out of BEV offerings from others may mean Toyota is too late to have a flagship BEV like the Prius and Mirai are to hybrids and FCEVs.

Ashlem, MagnusAG99 and Tideland Prius like this.
  4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    SSSuuussshhh! Perhaps we can get more of the ICE advocates to waste more of their money.

Bob Wilson

SSSSuuussshhh! I own TSLA stock and have no interest in Toyota. Except for the Prius Prime, they have lost their way.

Bob Wilson

#64 bwilson4web, Feb 13, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2019
    Ashlem, farmecologist and MagnusAG99 like this.
  5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Still, I have faith they will find their way back ..... & in less than the 10 years that hydrogen's supposed to have tens of 1,000's of cars on the road.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  6. MagnusAG99

MagnusAG99 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This Norwegian dude really ddint like me criticizing toyota on their twitter post about the "progress theyve made" with hydrogen...
    I find it quite insane how there is so many norwegians that believes in hydrogen... We are on top of the world when it comes to EV`s and sales (EV`s per person, since we are oviously way fewer people than in USA lol). We have a small country thats as big as Florida.. We dont need stupid insane range of 2000km with FCEV`s... But yet they still believe in it.. My points about maintnence cost, the cons of producing liquid hydrogen, the higher build cost, how much more expensive FCEV`s are than regular EV`s, how its just an electric car with some more moving parts... Its not apparently not points... What this dude said here about range, if you drive more than 300km per day to get to and home from work, you should either find a new place to live or a new job (In norway that is, in USA you most likely need longer range...)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Guess there is no point arguing with a person thats so sure he is right... He is so sure hydrogen is the future he named his twitter account after hydrogen... And apparently, Elon Musk is an idiot according to many of these hydrogen people`s tweets and tesla will fail... These people got a tough time in front of them...

From my perspective, this is how i see hydrogen fuel cell EV`s...
    [​IMG]

Is there any actual benefits of FCEV`s over normal EV`s at all? Cause i really dont know... Not that ive heard of?

#66 MagnusAG99, Feb 14, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    bisco, Ashlem and bwilson4web like this.
  7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    don't be too harsh on the countries that exist in the Land of the Midnight Sun. Many of them have VERY large amounts of surplus geothermal energy. Until they buy into Battery Technology, the only way to store geothermal is by either using the heat for reformation, or steam generation to reform hydrogen, then freezing these massive quantities. So if a manufacturer builds for those few countries (which BTW have small populations compared to areas like the US, China, Japan, India) it may work for them - but only because of their Surplus energy that can be inefficiently converted to hydrogen. Surplus geothermal energy means you don't have to be efficient. Problem is, there isn't enough Surplus geothermal energy to go around if you ramp up to worldwide scale, and you need more countries to sponsor massive amounts of research in order to get the price of the vehicles & parts/maintenance down, as well as huge quantities of production so that the R&D can be defrayed over larger numbers of vehicles..

#67 hill, Feb 14, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    MagnusAG99 likes this.
  8. MagnusAG99

MagnusAG99 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    BTW, about the corolla, ive heard from so many ur US corolla`s (neiter sedan or hatch) will get HUD? Cause it does here according to these pics.. Which means the prius has lost every tech thing that was speical with it over other toyota`s...
    [​IMG]

The all-new Toyota Corolla. Choose Hybrid

9. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Except having a plug.... and that model could easily have a mid-cycle update on the way.

10. samuraisd

samuraisd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    By now, on the Toyota US official site, the only available CVT is the ECVT and it's a 1.8L engine for the 2020 hybrid, not the first physical gear one, that only the hatchback CVT has. I hope we get this one: The all-new Toyota Corolla Hatchback | Toyota Ireland in the U.S.A. Why can't the U.S. get the best available *bleep*. We always get the *bleep*iest options.

11. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Nice find. Only heard about a hybrid being available for the sedan and wagon. The US got the new hatchback that hybrid is based on this year. So we might get it as part of a mid-cycle refresh. If Toyota decides to stop selling the Prius without the plug.

Americans want their smaller segment cars to be cheap, and aren't willing to pay for the improved technology on them. Plus, Toyota wants to squeeze every dime from an investment. Look at how long the Corolla came with a four speed automatic, and Europe had a Valvematic engine standard in it for years before we got it as an option.