1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2020 Prime XLE - must know/have's ?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by DBLXX, Mar 2, 2020.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Not sure I should weigh in, not having a Prime, but I recall reading the car is punchier in pure electric mode?

jerrymildred and GKL like this.
  2. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Definitely.

3. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Thanks, I thought I read something like that in a past post somewhere, there's just so much various info to absorb that occasionally it's hard to remember every detail :LOL:

…….so - put it in EV mode on the "on ramp" until you reach the expressway speed THEN switch to back to HV mode.

Some "on ramps" are not that long and it's best if you can speed up fast enough to merge into traffic immediately and not get stuck having to wait for an extended gap in the traffic to merge onto the expressway.

4. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Depending on the total distance of my trip, I switch to HV mode PRIOR to the on ramp;).

I am waiting at a stop light prior to the ramp, so I kick the engine on manually 5-10 seconds before the light changes:).

Better than at 70 mph when you wake it up and say "I need you now"(y).

jerrymildred likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Is it that do-or-die? Just pretend you're an old codger in a beat-up, couldn't-care-less pickup?

6. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Okay, so I am guessing you are meaning if the engine had been unused that day and still cold that you feel it is better to have the engine warmed up before needing to use it on the expressway.

Since we have a very long stretch of a 55mph road we have to travel just to get to the expressway we might likely will have used the hybrid mode for at least part of that road so the engine will have already been warmed up, but from other posters I got the idea that the car would have more "punch" as far as quicker acceleration in EV mode so I should switch it back to EV mode JUST from the point of getting on the "on ramp" until I reach expressway speed merging into traffic THEN switch back to HV mode.

:LOL:
    Only thing is, on that 70mph expressway there can be some drivers going easily 10-15 over the speed limit so you'd prefer to not be so casually building up speed that you'd still be at 40mph when merging into traffic :rolleyes::D

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    For my on ramp (either to or from work) it is 1/10 of a mile from a dead stop to 70 mph and the gas engine in hv mode does just fine;).

Once you get your Prime, experiment a bit:).

But I came from a 2010 gen3 with a drinking problem:cool:.

While the engine design has improved, I'm taking easy on the engine when I can(y).

GKL likes this.
  8. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Okay, we can test how the HV mode does for us on the expressway ramp acceleration, I'm probably overly concerned having never owned anything other than an ICE car before :eek::LOL:

Then I could try it the next time in EV mode just for comparison to see if there is a noticeable difference.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  9. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It's a car at the end of the day;).

But a very energy efficient one :).

Once you have it, as @Coast Cruiser used to say: Just Drive It (y).

GKL likes this.
  10. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE

…...maybe having to wait 90-120 days for it to be delivered gives me a lot of time to over-think some things about it :LOL:

jerrymildred and Raytheeagle like this.
  11. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You're not the first, and certainly won't be the last;).

As Tom Petty said: The Waiting is the Hardest Part(y).

GKL likes this.
  12. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE

…….yeah, Amazon Prime's 2 day delivery has a lot of us spoiled :LOL:

Toyota Prime delivery is definitely longer than Amazon Prime delivery :rolleyes::LOL:

Tideland Prius and Raytheeagle like this.
  13. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It does sound like they've employed the Pony Express for your Prime:cool:.

Unfortunate that has to be the case in certain geographies:(.

But soon enough you'll enjoy your new purchase(y).

GKL likes this.
  14. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    :LOL: I guess pony express is about the speed of a slow boat from Japan :LOL:

I understand, and I'm not intending to sound too complaining because after all I knew up front before ordering it would take that long, but it's still fun to joke about it :LOL:

Raytheeagle likes this.
  15. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Anticipation!!! Yup that's hard. I still remember one childhood Christmas Eve when I was having a tough time getting to sleep. Mom came in and suggested that I think about all the stuff Santa was going to bring me in the morning. I said, "Yeah, that's what I'm doing and that's why I can't sleep." :ROFLMAO:

Anyhow, on the EH/HV freeway stuff, don't sweat it. Play with it and see what you like best. You won't hurt the car. Like you said earlier, they would have all sorts of litigation issues if the thing was that fragile. I'm a little like Ray though in that if I know I'm going to be on the freeway soon, I'll go ahead and put it HV early so I'm playing with a warmed up ICE. It works a little better that way and if the ICE runs at idle, it'll add a few tenths of a mile to the EV range so it's not a total waste.

Tideland Prius, GKL and Raytheeagle like this.
  16. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    :LOL: ….yep, I remember trying to get to sleep faster on Christmas eve so the morning would seem to get here faster :LOL:

Yeah, not going to sweat it, I guess simply gleaning current Prime owner's opinions from their actual driving experiences not only helps me be ready ahead of time before ours gets delivered, it also helps with the waiting :LOL:

It would be neat if the Toyota factory where the Primes are built had live web cams so people waiting on delivery could watch and wonder if one of the Primes going down the assembly line might be theirs :LOL:

The closest thing I could find so far was a youtube video over 2 years old but I think it's of regular Prius cars being made, still really neat to watch though !

jerrymildred and schja01 like this.