1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2020 Prius awd idle issues

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Bryceblueprius, Mar 1, 2021.

1. Bryceblueprius

Bryceblueprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    I’m at 15k on my 2020 awd, for some reason the car doesn’t like to “coast” in electric. If I let off the gas in my 2011, it would kick to electric and just coast along until I needed more power. My 2020 will not coast above 60 mph. Not even going down hill, it always has the engine on (with resistance). Along the same line, if I use the braking function on the joystick it always kicks on the gas engine and engine brakes instead of the electric braking (that my 2011 would do). If it’s something wrong I need to know how to describe it to get it fixed. If it’s not then my 2020 does 44mpg where my 2011 did 51.2 over 150k miles. Any advice or info would be appreciated.

2. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How much do you use "B" - I've only used it 3 times on an extended descent. It will really kill economy.

3. Bryceblueprius

Bryceblueprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    With my 2011 I used it all the time, and it never turned on the engine while using it. It would just charge the battery and preserve the brake pads. With my 2020 I’ve only tested it because it always switches to the gas engine and uses it as an engine brake slowing me down more abruptly and not charging the battery.

That is why I ask about the other issue, because the B seems to just be a change Toyota has made. They have made the resistance braking more intuitively connected to the brake pedal. Push it a little and it will charge, a lot and it will slow sort of thing. Even that feature doesn’t address my engine being on way more than my last model.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It depends on speed. On the Gen 3, B will kick the engine on if you’re over 20mph.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you probably need to test drive a new one

6. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius