1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2020 prius le full audio upgrade with subwoofer

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Firedog78, Jun 17, 2020.

1. Firedog78

Firedog78 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Just bought a new 2020 prius le non jbl and decided to upgrade my the whole system. I have done some car audio installations in other cars in the past but never this in depth. I went thru Crutchfield to make sure I get all the parts and pieces. Here is my build list:

Pioneer DMH-1500NEX Digital Multimedia Receiver
    AI TOYK932GB Toyota Kit Prius 2016-up, I/DD, Gloss Black
    iDatalink Maestro ADS-MRR Universal Radio Replacement %26 SWI
    iDatalink HRN-RR-TO2 Install Harness for select Toyota
    Toyota %26 Lexus antenna adapter 09-Up
    Axxess AX-TOYUSB Toyota 4 Pin USB Adapter
    Crutchfield RCA Y-Adapter 3.5mm Male to 2 Female RCA
    ReadyHarness Service Connect Vehicle Harness to Radio
    575R1675X2 Rockford Fosgate Prime R1675X2 6-3/4" 2-way Speakers
    575R1675X2 Rockford Fosgate Prime R1675X2 6-3/4" 2-way Speakers
    575P3S210 Rockford Fosgate Punch P3SD2-10 Shallow 10" 2-ohm Component Subwoofer
    575P2P3G10 Rockford Fosgate P2P3G-10 Punch P2/P3 10" Mesh Grille
    13698360 JL Audio JD250/1 250W x 1 Car Amplifier
    136RBC1 JL Audio RBC-1 Remote Bass Control
    142PA8BX EFX Amplifier Wiring Kit 8-gauge w/Patch Cord

Going with bassworx subwoofer enclosure from a local shop.
    I will try to update as I go through the install process hopefully it will help others that might be thinking about upgrading. Any tips and tricks from others that have experience please let me know. Thanks

2. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    cost?

3. Firedog78

Firedog78 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    $1153 at Crutchfield and the sub box i am going with is $79

krmcg likes this.
  4. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat !!

Before the installation process, be sure to sound deaden the vehicle to take maximum advantage of the total spend.

Penny6 and Firedog78 like this.
  5. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Probably too late for you but I recently did a build also with an underseat (passenger) 8 inch 125watt powered sub with a 75wattsx4 amp to the other speakers (mids&tweets). From the drivers seat, it worked very well but when I sat in the back (rockford fosgate 165x3) those sounded, umm, thin. So...... :D

I stumbled upon this attractively priced option to add to the back:

and I am very impressed by its quality of sound to price ratio. Obviously, one needs a spare tire well (spare not necessary) for it fit as intended. I love that it's hidden and can be quickly disconnected and removed when necessary (flat tire, etc). While the underseat sub fills in the lows (as expected), this one can completely dominate the entire car with big bass if cranked to the max with the included controller. Those looking for crazy, thumping bass should still consider going big (10 or 12 inch) or double sub boxes. YMMV

+1

Plus the vehicle is quieter 24/7. But.... it's a lot of work and can get very expensive using some products.

#5 fotomoto, Jun 18, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
  6. Firedog78

Firedog78 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    So I got the sound damping and door speakers replace. It was actually not that bad!
    Went to install the pioneer 7 in deck and iDatalink and something is not right with the harnesses I got from Crutchfield. They sent me the TO 2 and it does not work. Guess I will have to call them tomorrow. Does anyone know if they have changed anything from previous years?

Attached Files:

7. Firedog78

Firedog78 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Update: So I guess Crutchfield couldn't find a way to make it work. So I am sending most of it back. I did get the door speakers, amp, wiring kit and sub installed. Just waiting on my line out convertor to show up. Here's some pictures of the amp installed.

Attached Files:

8. thomassster

thomassster Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Did you get some sort of fix for this why it didn't work? My thinking with the 2020, there was a change to the wiring that went away from your traditional wiring due to a different head unit because of the added carplay features.

9. thomassster

thomassster Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Found the post. Here is a post from Elektroingenieur that looked up the electrical wiring of the 2020 and stated it is different than the previous models. So the TO2 would not be compatible with the 2020 models. You would need to create some adapters in order to get it to work, which sounds like it's not an easy to get connectors.

2020 head unit in 2017 model? | PriusChat

morpheusx likes this.
  10. Firedog78

Firedog78 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    So here is what I ended up doing for now. Put in a Lc2i line level convertor and tapped into the rear door speakers. The wire colors in the door and what are in the car are different. The door wire colors in both doors were blue and gray. The drivers side inside the car was + black/ - yellow. The passenger door was + red/ - white. This is where I tapped in and ran to the trunk where I installed the Loc and amp. It sounds really good but I think the next step will be the kicker key 200.4 for the door speakers.

Attached Files:

thomassster likes this.
  11. Charan

Charan New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Technology
    Hi

I’m in the process of installing speakers in my 2017 non jbl system. I want to install an amp too. How did you run the wiring for the amp. Did you find a grommet in the firewall to go through?

12. thomassster

thomassster Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    I think there are 2 grommets, but the one of the grommets on the driver side will be the closest run lengthwise. In order to poke a hole through the grommet, you might need to take out the windshield wiper cowl. It is extremely difficult if you don't remove it. I went from inside of the car in order to get the wire through. The grommet is right above the accelerator pedal just a bit to the right. I had to get an 8 gauge through which I made a special wire that got a small gauge wire first, and then solder to a larger gauge, and then a larger, and then to the 8 gauge to get through. If I tried to get the 8 gauge taped to a metal wire hanger, the tape would fall off and the wire would not get through.

13. Firedog78

Firedog78 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Just like thomasster said I went through the gromment on the driver's side above the brake pedal. Hopefully that helps.