1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2020 Prius Navigation System - Worth It?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Metrolens, Sep 21, 2019.

1. Metrolens

Metrolens Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi all, I'm researching a 2020 Prius and see that the Limited is the only model which has onboard Nav.

I'm looking for advice/opinions:

Is the Prius onboard Nav any good? Does it have live traffic data? Do you need to subscribe to a data plan of some kind? (I currently use Google Maps on my phone, which is excellent.) Is the $5k price increase over the lower Prius model worth it?

I also see that Android Auto is not available in any of the 2020 Prii, which is a major bummer. It would have been so great to simply project Google Maps from my phone onto the car's screen. Any workarounds? I know the Prius has Apple CarPlay, but I'm on Android with no plans to switch to iPhone.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not worth it. do they have a model without it? you'd be better off investing in an i phone

kithmo, Mambo Dave and Metrolens like this.
  3. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have had the Toyota Navigation in my two Prius autos and in my Avalon. The Prius has traffic information without subscription (the Avalon requires satellite subscription). I use it every day and really like it. Sure, it has limitations such as update cost$, but I want the convenience of the built-in app. To each their own...

4. Metrolens

Metrolens Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    They do indeed have a 2020 without the nav. Every model below the "Limited" doesn't have the nav, and costs at least $5k less than the Limited. Huge price bump. However, the Limited has a huge screen - sort of like a Tesla. This will likely be great for some people and overkill for others, but it's probably the wave of the future.

How much is the update cost? Actually given that my car would be a lease, it's likely that any nav update would be included for free, right?

And more importantly, do you find the traffic data and suggested routes accurate? On a par with Google Maps?

bisco likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no, updates will not be free with a lease. they are usually $250.-300.

Metrolens likes this.
  6. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I find the traffic information quite good. I often get the notification that traffic has changed and do I want to re-route. The traffic displayed on the screen is spot-on.
    The routes can be less than ideal though. Testing with routes that I know it will sometimes get a little off track - but it always finds the target. What I really like is the easy ability to see 3 routes from the outset and the easy elimination of freeways on demand.

Metrolens likes this.
  7. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    The thing most disappointing to me about the 11.6" nav is that the traffic data makes the roads so fat it's impossible to make anything out unless your zoomed in far enough that there are no other roads with traffic data within an inch of each other.

I didn't realize the traffic data was free. I thought it came over satellite which requires a subscription. I figured I'd lose it when that expired.

Also, I just got an OTA maps update. Did this come over the cellular built into the car or did it come through my cell phone when connected via the entune app?

Metrolens likes this.
  8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You could have a dual-map mode and have a small inset map that's zoomed out to your favourite zoom level. You can turn off traffic in that inset (or maybe it's not even an option).

You're seeing the Dynamic Navigation feature.

What is Dynamic Navigation?

What are the features of Dynamic Navigation?

Basically it updates a 2x2 area around your location with the latest map so that directions and POIs will be up-to-date

#8 Tideland Prius, Sep 24, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
    Metrolens likes this.
  9. BurkPhoto@aol.com

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    We have it in three older Prii. One I bought new, the others used. It is a total waste. It’s always out of date here, as new roads are being built rapidly.

We never use the Nav feature. We use Apple Maps, Google Maps, WAZE, and MapQuest on our iPhones. They are always with us.

— Bill Burkholder

Metrolens likes this.
  10. Metrolens

Metrolens Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Actually, there may be an alternative to buying the 2020 Limited simply for the Nav - the ADVANCED TECHLONOLOGY PACKAGE seems to be available as an option on the XLE model, and it costs only $800 for that upgrade (still expensive but way less than $5k). I'm guessing this wouldn't include the huge screen, though, but still have the Nav?

And, reading closely on the Toyota website, it says this package includes Navigation "if equipped." Uh, what exactly does that mean?

11. davecook89t

davecook89t Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I'm not in the market right now, but when I go to the Toyota website and compare the three 2020 Prime models, I see the following under the XLE's Multimedia list:

"Premium Audio with Integrated Navigation79 — 11.6-in. touch-screen with split-screen display, AM/FM cache radio, HD Radio™,76six speakers, USB media port,94 two USB charge ports,94 advanced voice recognition,82 hands-free phone capability and music streaming91 via Bluetooth®91wireless technology, Siri®Eyes Free,88 Apple CarPlay®102 & Amazon Alexa98compatible, HD Radio™76Predictive Traffic and Doppler Weather overlay, SiriusXM®73 with 3-month All Access trial.69Connected Services103 —Safety Connect®60 with 3-year trial.90 Seetoyota.com/audio-multimedia for details.",

which is the same as I see under the Limited's, except that the Limited has the JBL speakers. It seems that Toyota has reacted to complaints that the Nav is too expensive.

Metrolens likes this.
  12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It really depends on your needs and expectation. I'm one of those rare people in the "built-in nav" camp. I have no problem using CarPlay for Google Maps or Waze but I like prefer things that are integrated.

Is it good? Well it does the basic navigation things right. I like the fact that the voice instructions are clear and that nav instructions show up on the MID (or HUD if equipped). I can also use the large screen to see the map rather than look at my phone. However, I find search for things on the phone (or through Google Assistant or Siri) much easier than through Toyota's nav. It does best with address (at least for my uses... I'm in a big city so it's well mapped).

It does have live traffic data through HD Radio so there's no subscription of any kind.

$4k for the nav itself? No but $4k only if you think the other items are worth it to you between the XLE and Limited (Not sure where you got $5k). It looks like adaptive front lighting system and a HUD are the only extra standard features (both are available as options on the XLE). There's also a JBL audio system (which sounds pretty good given its price tag).

That means if you have the HUD and built-in nav, it will show navigation instructions on the HUD. If you got the XLE with the HUD, it will not show nav instructions because the XLE uses ScoutGPS.

He's looking at the regular Prius, not Ptime.

Metrolens likes this.
  13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    @Metrolens speaking of which, why not look at a Prius Prime XLE? It's $29k and slots nicely between the $28k XLE and $32k Limited. It has built in nav for essentially $1,500 more than the regular Prius XLE. Plus there's a tax credit which will reduce that price difference.

Metrolens and davecook89t like this.
  14. Metrolens

Metrolens Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for this. Actually this is interesting.

The LE comes standard with Nav too, I see, but the smaller 7" screen, which uses Scout GPS. Does this show traffic data? Does it require a subscription of some kind? Is it good?

When people refer to the HUD, do they mean the 11.6" screen?
    [Never mind - I see what it is now: totally different from the 11.6" screen; information is projected directly onto the windshield. Kind of like a fighter jet HUD. Cool.]

And, the car would be bought in CA (Newport Beach), so the rebates show as $4500 based on Zip Code, and $1500 for California. Am I to understand that I would conceivable qualify for $6k in rebates? Is this a cash back refund, or something else?
    [I also figured this question out, I think. There's a $4500 tax credit from the IRS, plus there appears to be a $1500 rebate from the California Air Resources Board, plus there appears to be $800 rebate from the electric company. Am I reading this right?]

#14 Metrolens, Sep 24, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
  15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ScoutGPS is app-based and subscription-based (first 3 years free). I don’t know which focus group Toyota used to say “yup, I’m sure people will pay for a subscription navigation system when Google Maps or Apple Maps are free”.

Traffic is based on an app rather than overlaid on the screen like the built-in Toyota ones. No idea if it’s good since I’ve never used it.

The federal one is a tax credit so you have to owe more than $4,500 in taxes to make full use of it. I don’t know how the CA one works. You’ll have to ask a fellow Californian.

Metrolens likes this.
  16. Metrolens

Metrolens Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks again. This sounds like... exactly what I don't want. It's not really even a built in traffic/nav, from the sound of it. And in any case, subscription for nav = nope.

bisco likes this.
  17. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    The one thing I am impressed with on the built in nav is that voice for POIs works really well.

Speaking an address is somewhat hit and miss but saying "Find Target" or whatever always works well.

#17 sorka, Sep 26, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
    krmcg likes this.
  18. blane

blane Carmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Google Maps (or Google's Waze). The only way to go.

19. BAllanJ

BAllanJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just use one I downloaded into my old android called offline maps. It does traffic and frequent updates for free. And a bonus is a little app I downloaded called My Car Locator... I boot it up when I park somewhere unfamiliar when I'm out of town and hit park. Then open it up again when I come out of the event/concert/whatever and hit find my car... it points to my car and tells me how far it is and shows me a satellite type view while I walk along. There are advantages to having your gps with you. It doesn't integrate with the steering wheel buttons etc, but if I'm putting in destination addresses etc I'm going to be stopped for that. My phone is mounted in a proclip centre mount and plugged into the charger. My usual use isn't for route planning so much as situational awareness and traffic. For those that want to mock me... I'm still using a Samsung Galaxy S5 Neo. Still works great.

20. fphinney

fphinney Member

We just bought a 2020 Prius Prime Limited 12/7/2020. Previously, we had a 2006 Prius - Pkg 8. Obviously, we like PRIUS! 2020 GPS is a great improvement. In 2006, the car had to come to a complete stand-still - before we could operate it! 2020 is a GREAT improvement. We are strong supporters!

krmcg likes this.