1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2020 Prius Prime - "Android Auto" ?

Discussion in 'Prime Audio, Electronics, and Infotainment' started by GKL, Aug 1, 2019.

Tags:
  1. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I read before about the 11.6" display being a problem as far as that, but I agree that you would think they could figure out a software solution if they really wanted to. I still prefer having the 11.6" display as it's easier to see than the smaller screen.

2. mrchowmein

mrchowmein Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    In my mind, the 11.6 in unit is at its EOL. There is no reason for Toyota to throw software engineering money at it for a niche vehicle unit. I believe no other toyota uses the same system as the one in the prius and prius prime. The 7in to 9in units in all the other toyota cars all run fairly similar software and are produced in greater numbers. Toyota will throw engineering money towards those units. If the rumors are correct, and this 11.6 in unit runs automotive grade linux, it should be totally doable to add Android Auto. I have a Mazda3 and Mazda come out with a software update that updated cars 3-4 years back to work with AA and CP. They also offered a USB retrofit kit.

GKL likes this.
  3. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Thanks, you would think it would not be that costly for them to develop, especially if they charged a reasonable fee to receive the upgrade.

4. Ronald Carabeo

Ronald Carabeo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
  5. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, but only for the Prius Prime LE trim on 7" display without onboard navi system, not for the XLE and Limited on 11.6" display with onboard navi, at least for the North American market. But I don't know about the EU market.

#25 Salamander_King, Nov 13, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
    Tideland Prius likes this.
  6. DC_2004_Prius

DC_2004_Prius Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Is this correct for the 2021? I feel like I saw that apple car play and android auto were available on the 2021 limited.?

anybody confirm? how is the bigger screen on the limited? THanks.

7. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Carplay is available in all trims, but AA is only available on LE trim with a 7" display. Both are only for wired connection. As to the large display, I hated it so much I traded in my 2017 PP with an 11.4" display to 2020 PP LE with 7" display. But that's a subjective opinion of mine.