1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2020 Prius Prime FEES

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Joshua Ventura, May 17, 2020.

1. Joshua Ventura

Joshua Ventura Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I am buying a vehicle today and I want to know are these fees and taxes mandatory? If not, which are not so I can inform them of this.

Attached Files:

2. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    The California Department of Motor Vehicles has a Vehicle Registration Fee Calculator for new vehicles, and you could ask the dealer to explain why their estimates differ from DMV’s. Some of these differences may be legitimate; for example, the amount of a rebate (as opposed to a discount) is considered part of the purchase price for sales tax purposes.

I believe the “Documentation Fee” and “Electronic Filing Fee” are the only added items on your list that aren’t paid to the government. The Documentation Fee is set and kept by the dealer, and in principle, you could ask them to remove it; the amount is limited by state law (Cal. Veh. Code § 4456.5). The Electronic Filing Fee goes to the company that processes the DMV registration for the dealer; I doubt the dealer would agree to absorb it.

3. MoPInball

MoPInball Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Why are there estimates? Seems like they should be able to figure that to the penny. If they figure high, do you get a refund?