1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2020 Prius Prime Lowering Springs

Discussion in 'Prime Accessories and Modifications' started by brg, Mar 2, 2020.

1. brg

brg New Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Any recommendations for lowering springs for the 2020 prius prime?

2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't have any information on the spring, but... just curious. Why would you want to lower already very low to ground PRIME??? As is, at less than 6 inches of ground clearance I am having a problem hitting the bottom on every potholes I have to drive over this time of season. You must be driving on a track or something???

3. brg

brg New Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    LOL I just want to decrease the wheel gap. I haven’t scraped at all where I’ve been driving (knock on wood)

Salamander_King likes this.
  4. Rob43

Rob43 Senior Member

VA, BMW Race Car, BMW R1200R, BMW 330Ci, Ford F350
    Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    First, Welcome to PriusChat !

Now that you've been so expertly questioned on why you would want to add lowering springs, I will answer you.

The RS-R T581D is the only known option for a Prime lowering spring. Many have installed them & they work well.
    www.ebay.com/itm/RS-R-T581D-Down-SUS-Lowering-Springs-for-17-18-Toyota-Prius-Prime-Plug-In-Hybrid/253411685035?fits=Model prius+Prime&epid=2161548328&hash=item3b008372ab:g:7~cAAOSwqvxeFOFk&LH_ItemCondition=1000

Rob43

Tideland Prius, dekthai and brg like this.
  5. brg

brg New Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Thank you so much! Have you used them before? If so is the ride quality good or close to stock?

6. Rob43

Rob43 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    No, but I have seriously considered them. Many forum members have installed these as already mentioned, no one has ever reported anything unusual as I can remember. Based on their advertised spring rates, they'll ride a little bit firmer than stock.

Rob43

7. brg

brg New Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I might have to get me some then. Thank you again!

8. kimseongjae

kimseongjae Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    I have the RS-R 581D springs. I am trying to decide if I should install it or go with a Tien Flex Z Coilovers. I have heard that OEM shocks are not made for the lowering springs and may not function correctly and/or shorten the life of the OEM shock. Which means I would have to prematurally remove and reinstall the unit again with coilovers. Can someone who has lower their with Prius with a spring on a OEM shocks tell us if this is true?

9. Rob43

Rob43 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Knowing a thing or two about suspensions, I'll give you the simple answer:

Yes, but like anything they're many many variables to this equation...

Your OE shocks are "Valved" to work with your OE springs, they like anything have the ability to work within a certain amount of plus or minus. For argument sake, we'll call it about ~20%. Realize that the manufacturers of the RS-R 581D springs understand that almost 100% of the end users Will Use OE stock Dampers, thus they design their lowering springs to work within the limitations of the OE dampers.

If you drive mostly on smooth to medium roads, this type of lowering spring will work relatively well with your OE dampers. If you drive on very rough roads, then you might experience what is commonly referred to as bounce.

Last: "Most" lowering spring & damper setups ride (comfort) better than coilovers. So it all comes down to what you want.

Rob43

#9 Rob43, Mar 22, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  10. kimseongjae

kimseongjae Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A

Thx. Rob!!! your expert input on PC is very much appreciated. This is my new daily and trying to make it look, sound and drive as good as possible after totalling my M4 recently. Love the MPG though. I would say I'll be on a MED, rough L.A. pavement mostly. Unlike those of you guys who are lucky enough to live in places like Atlanta with glass smooth asphalt pavement. So, even though it's more work, springs it is. Thx. Again.

By the way, can you tell me if there's a camber adjustment on a 2020 Prius Prime? Looks like it has an independent suspension.

11. Rob43

Rob43 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Thanks...

Yes, the Prime uses a Cam Bolt, here's what they look like. You can purchase these from many different sources as they are fairly common. Twisting them in a different direction yields a different camber number depending on what is needed.

www.amazon.com/Front-Adjustable-Camber-Toyota-Tercel/dp/B077S5QBSQ

Rob43