1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2020 Prius prime not charging

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by RiceSpice, May 7, 2023.

1. RiceSpice

RiceSpice New Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    It won’t charge at home or at charging stations. The dashboard doesn’t show how much time is left until charge- just that the charging port lid is open. I’ve tried leaving the charger in for a few hours and still nothing. Has anyone had this issue before?

2. CBerg

CBerg New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It looks like you didn't get any comments. Did you find out what was wrong? Do you use the primes timer charger function? If you programmed times for start and end charging, the car will only charge during those times and days.

Also, I read somewhere, not in the manual, that if the lid is open to long before plugging in, the charger will not start. So, if the lid sensor is broken to an "open lid" status, it may be preventing the car to start charging. Sorry, I can't remember where I read this so I can't be sure if this is a fact.

3. EB7

EB7 New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I am currently having this exact same issue, but with a 2019 Prius prime. Starting yesterday, the dashboard just reads "charging port lid is open" whenever I try to charge. It will not charge on my charger or external chargers. It will not charge on a planned charging event or on charge now. It doesn't even seem to sense that a charger is plugged in when I plug the charger in. Does anyone have any idea what to do?

4. Louis19

Louis19 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Upgrade
    Just to clarify : EVSE is what your refer as Chargers and both don't work , with a shedule or not?
    The onbord charger in the car or the J1772 receptacle are probably the culprits because they are common for the 2 scenarios....unless no power is supplied by the EVSE...or defective or loose ground connection in the car.....trip to the dealer could clarify your problem.
    additional note : the request for the charging process is called by the car and a dialog has to take place via 2 pins on the connector and ground ; if not , charging port lid is open will öccur because it is really open

#4 Louis19, Aug 24, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2023
  5. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Active Member

That warning only comes on with my 2020 if I turn the car on while charging, or try to drive, don’t remember which. Maybe it comes on without car on and door is opened. I know when it does warn, I go close it. I don’t have much advice except disconnect the 12 volt battery negative a few minutes and see if if it resets. Like when a cell phone acts up, try reset.