1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2020 Prius prime paint issues.

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by IMRAN ALI, Sep 9, 2020.

1. IMRAN ALI

IMRAN ALI New Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Hello folks,

I hope all is well. I recently bought a 2020 prime silver. Little over 3 weeks ago. I noticed after taking the deliver that there was this paint chip on the hood. I went to the service shop who then directed me to the sales. Sales just did a touch up (rather shoddy job if I must admit) and they told me there is nothing you can do. Things like these are common. They asked me to buy a touch paint for the future.

Now a few days ago I noticed another big chip but the rear door handle. We barely use this door and I’m surprised how this could’ve been chipped. I’ve owned so many cars never had an issue like this with any new car in the past.

Pic 1 is the touch up.

what is the best course of action you guys suggest? Just suck it up and fix it myself?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks.

Attached Files:

#1 IMRAN ALI, Sep 9, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
  2. route246

route246 Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
  3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I always (half-jokingly) recommend smacking a new car with a hammer right away and then you can quit fussing about it. Stuff happens. Cars get scratched and dented unless you rope them off in a museum. It's called normal wear and tear.

I have never bought a new car, so they all come pre-blemished. And then I drive the car and rocks, birds, and tires bounce off of it as I drive. I don't abuse it and I like to keep it clean and waxed, but unless the damage is really gross, it's like 'Mater said when the two British spies wanted to fix his dents. They were his memories. :D

MTN and Tips like this.
  4. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry for your frustration, but I really don't think there is anything different about paint job on my Prius Prime (both 2017 and 2020) compared to any other cars I have owned. Chips, scratches, and dents happens. I had very minor blemish from probably a car scraping in a parking lot on my brand new PRIME only a few weeks after the delivery. Too minor to make insurance claim. I bought a touch-up paint but decided to leave it go, so I would not be too paranoid about keeping the car intact.

That being said, the front grille acrylic panel and front windshield on Prius Prime are prone to chips and cracks more than usual, IMHO.

jerrymildred and IMRAN ALI like this.
  5. IMRAN ALI

IMRAN ALI New Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I will do what I can do to fix. But if I may add a counter argument here sir. I have owned new cars from Hyundai, Lexus, Volvo , drove them for thousands of miles and never in last ten years I had a single issue of where paint has been chipping off.

This two week old car has paints getting chipped. On the hood I could probably chalk it out as unavoidable but a chip on the rear door which barely gets used it clear indicator of a bad paint job. It’s minor agreed. But still it’s. New car. Also if a paint is chipped by a rock it’s easy to tell because it leads scratching or scuffs around the chip. In this case it’s clean.

Toyota’s are great cars but aren’t we being too apologetic for them and let them get away with lackluster quality control?

6. Washingtonian

Washingtonian Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The problem is with just a picture of that tiny door chip I cannot tell what caused it. I am assuming that something struck it when you were not around as I have never seen a tiny bit of paint just fall off a car by itself. When I think of bad paint jobs, I think of the newer Teslas where they miss spots, or some older GM and Chrysler products where whole foot square patches of paint fall off. The big paint problem on some Primes is where the tail gate handle rusts and is almost impossible to get to. And of course the older Toyota Tacomas in snow belt areas had a serious problem where the frame would just rust away. Not to diminish your concern, but those are paint problems.:eek:

7. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Don't forget the Toyota Siennas and others with white paint of that day. The paint just fell off in sheets and yet Toyota seemed OK with drivers leaving the Toyota badges on them to advertised the LOUSY paint job that came from the factories. You'd think they'd have offered to repaint them for free out of sheer embarrassment.

So, I did a quick search and whadayaknow? They finally are embarrassed enough to offer an extended warranty on certain white and blizzard pearl models. But Prius owners with peeling paint are still SOL.
    Toyota White Paint Recall (CSP) ZKG Coverage for Peeling of Factory-Applied Paint Remedy | TOYO Headquarters

8. Washingtonian

Washingtonian Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks, Jerry. This is the first that I have heard of this problem. Interesting that Blizzard Pearl, the paint that cost me $395. extra is the one failing, along with white. Notice that none of the Prius models are affected by the recall. I am wondering if the problem is associated with where the cars were made: i.e. those from Japan might be different from those from South Carolina.

jerrymildred likes this.
  9. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, I think there is a difference in paint quality depending on where they were made. Still, it seems like the whites and reds fail the most. When I traded in my red 2005 Prius, there was a lot fo clearcoat peeled off. When we traded in my wife's mica green 2007 a few weeks ago, the roof looked like it hat been attacked by a horde of peacocks. Todd over at Tampa Hybrids told me that it's just the Florida sun on the paint.

We only have a one car garage and there is NO shade ever on our driveway. Since my Prime is red and my wife's Prius is white, and since I get to park in the shade at work, we take turns in the garage. I use it on my 3-day weekend and she uses it on my 4-day work weeks. Hopefully, that will stretch the time before the paint starts to fail.

Michael Wood likes this.
  10. Michael Wood

Michael Wood Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I've seen plenty of new Toyota's on car lots with worse chips and body damage. I'm sure the paint on today's new cars is thinner than it used to be and easily damaged. But neither one of those two chips is cause for concern. I have a 2015 with lots of highway miles - it looks like somebody peppered the front-end with a BB machine gun - hundreds of chips from road rocks. But not a single rust spot. My 2015 is definitely the most chipped up car I've ever owned (and also the best car I've ever owned). It could also be due to the slope of the front end, but I'd have to concede that Prius' tend to chip easily - at least compared to other cars I've owned. But even if it was covered in Bondo, the Prius would still be a gem.

#10 Michael Wood, Sep 11, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
    jerrymildred likes this.