1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2020 Prius Prime - Super tight/hard to connect/disconnect

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Cdgreg, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Cdgreg

Cdgreg Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Hi all, been using the OpenEVSE Advanced Series - 48A/40A - Charging Station ( OpenEV Store - OpenEVSE SAE J1772 EV Charging Station ) with my 2020 Prius Prime for a few months now. Overall, I've been quite pleased. One thing I have struggled with is how hard it is to connect the handle to the plug on the car itself. I have to use two hands to really push it on there, and 2 hands to pull it off. The other day it was rainy and I literally could not unplug it until I dried off the handle because my hands kept slipping off. It then occurred to me this may only get worse during the upcoming cold winter in NY.

I was hoping the connectors would loosen over time based on something I read here in the past, but no difference after 3 or so months. Is there any electrical grease or anything I can use on the connectors? Other Ideas?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    try a little vaseline

Cdgreg and Tips like this.
  3. spudnut

spudnut Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    "That's what she said."

Don't blame me, I'm quoting Steve Carrel.

4. EdPalmer42

EdPalmer42 Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    There are other threads around here about tight connectors. The culprit is usually an O-ring inside the connector that is either out of position or damaged.

Cdgreg likes this.
  5. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have an inexpensive Duosaida EVSE and ended up using an appropriately sized drill bit to get it to fit better. But if I'd spent as much as you spent, I'd demand my money back. Eventually, pushing and pulling that hard will most likely damage the port on your car.

Cdgreg likes this.
  6. PT Guy

PT Guy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Take a close look at the "nozzle" part of the connector that slides into the car's connector. Are there any high spots or rough spots that you could smooth with light sanding with fine sand paper? Silicone grease, very lightly applied, will help it slide in. Auto parts stores sell small tubes of dielectric grease which is silicone grease that is non-conductive. That would be a good product to use. Very lightly applied. Less is more in this case. Also look into the car's connector for that o-ring or anything else that seems like an obstruction.

Cdgreg likes this.
  7. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I tried dielectric grease and silicone on mine. It didn't help. I had to take it apart to identify what was causing all the friction. I thought it might be the plastic. Nope. It was the pins. If they are tight (or the plastic, for that matter), lube won't change their dimensions. In fact, it will make them tighter.

Cdgreg likes this.
  8. Cdgreg

Cdgreg Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Thanks for the feedback everyone, I contacted the company, they offered to send me either a new handle or a new unit. Kudos to OpenEVSE for the quality customer service.

#8 Cdgreg, Sep 26, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
    Raytheeagle and jerrymildred like this.