1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2020 wheel covers

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by priusmatty, Feb 22, 2021.

1. priusmatty

priusmatty Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    2020 L ECO has alloy wheels with plastic covers. Do the plastic covers offer any aerodynamic advantage? Thank you.

2. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Some people assume that they do because why else would Toyota add them. I tend to think otherwise and say that the added weight is counter-productive to MPGs. Plus the wheels look better without them.

3. David9962000

David9962000 Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    You can get the center caps here:

EconoModder likes this.
  4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If they improve mpg, then it's only by an infinitely negligible amount. I agree that the wheels look better without the covers.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

krmcg likes this.
  5. EconoModder

EconoModder Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    With other/older Prius models I would say yes, but these don't look to have been designed with aero particularly in mind. Typically these hubcaps weigh close to about 1 lb. That amount of weight reduction is negligible. I popped one off when I got my car recently to see how the wheel looked and I noticed the wheel didnt come with OEM center caps. I really don't feel like buying them for what they cost, so I just put the cap back on for now. I had considered a lightweight wheel, but it is so hard to find anything anymore in a 15" 5x100 pattern as almost nobody makes one. You have to go back and find used wheels from yesteryear back when 15's were a more common size. Anyway, I'm trying to stop myself from wanting to do that even, altho I would like more traction. I'm considering a 17x7 wheel with a 205/50/17 size tire, but prob won't end up doing it.