1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

(2021 Corolla Hybrid) Worth getting dealer-applied rust protection?

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by EfficientAF, Sep 28, 2020.

1. EfficientAF

EfficientAF New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Technology
    Dealer is trying to sell me rust protection. The package is called "E.C.C module with surface rust warranty" and states that it "Protects areas that traditional rust protection cannot reach. Lifetime new-vehicle warranty." Is this worth it or is it no necessary? I will be clocking approximately 20,000km per winter in Canada.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Must be an east coast thing. Hopefully someone from Ontario or Atlantic Canada can chime in in its usefulness. We don't use this in western Canada.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  3. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How much are they asking? I don't have first hand experience with ECC module but have not heard or read too good of reviews. Here is an excerpt from an such review.

The technology itself is based on the models used on the bottom of boats. In addition to other arguments, many say that electronic rust protection for cars therefore only truly works when fully submerged in water. There are to date no official reports which show that cars with electronic rust proofing have less corrosion than they would without the device.
    source: The Truth about Electronic Rust Protection
    Or read this: Goof of the Month: Rust Protection isn’t Magic | autoTRADER.ca

Depending on the price, you may do better with conventional under body coating (but not traditional rubberized type which is known to cause more problem of trapping moisture under the coating). The distance you drive have very little to do with rusting, it is how many years you have driven on roads with salt. If you are not planning to keep your car longer than 10 years, then rust protection is probably not needed.

#3 Salamander_King, Sep 28, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    Mendel Leisk and alanclarkeau like this.
  4. EfficientAF

EfficientAF New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Technology
    I do intend on keeping the car for 5-7 years. Still worth it? Where I am, they use PLENTY of salt during winter. Also, what is the best under body coating to get? Krown? Fluid Film? Will drilling holes as part of the application impact the car or its value in any way?

5. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For 5-7 years, you may not see substantial rust that would affect drivablity of the car. In my experience, problem becomes rampant after 10 years. You might want to read this thread. Do you need underbody rust protection on new Prime? | Page 7 | PriusChat

I have heard very good review about FluidFilm. I myself used it on three cars so far, but I have not kept the car long enough to know it's effectiveness. If your 2021 Corolla Hybrid is similar to Prius Prime I have that the under side of the car is heavily covered by plastic, then there may not be much metals exposed enough to spray the under body coating. I plan to use several different brands of rust inhibitors on my 2020 Prius Prime this year to see which one works the best. If you don't want to wait for that result, seems to be most of commercial rust inhibitors do work well. A few spray cans of FluidFilm is probably much cheaper than what your dealer is offering and most likely more effective.

6. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Also - check what extent of rust is covered. Back in the days when cars rusted (the '50s - '80s) - there were rust protection guarantees which, when you read the fine print only included "structural" or "permeating" rust - but people discovered it didn't cover surface rust which didn't eat "through".

Salamander_King likes this.
  7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The wording still stands 30 years later. The warranty only covers perforation, not surface. There are also fewer stainless steel parts. Notice how large the bumper piece is getting? Plastic is cheaper and more bumper means less steel parts for the body section. Even the hatches are becoming made of plastic (Corolla Hatchback... the Prime is CFRP).

alanclarkeau likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just to pile on: how much are they asking?

9. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    The steel parts of the body/frame are now dunked in anti-rust and an electric current applied to bond the anti-rust to the steel. Look around and how many cars do you see rusting out and what is their age.

Dealer applied rust products make them a lot of profit but all they do is clog up areas that are designed to drain. You are better off hosing the undercarriage with water after it has been exposed to salt and letting all drip away.

I wouldn't buy a car that had it done even at zero additional cost.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  10. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So what year was the year Toyota started this anti-rust procedure? Certainly it had to be after 2005. Our 2005 Sienna did not have that done to under side... It was a rust bucket after 12 years even though it had only 100K miles on it and engine and everything else was still in great running condtion. And, yes, the car was washed with under carriage jet almost every time it was driven on snow/salt road. Same with our 1998 Civic. We never had a car which rust was not problem after 10 years on NE winter roads.

upload_2020-9-29_16-47-31.png

Raytheeagle and Mendel Leisk like this.
  11. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I always enjoy when you trot out the old rusty Sienna pics:).

Nice reminder for those of us on the best coast(y).

Salamander_King likes this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Our 2010 Prius has rust bloom up on the suspension members, VERY readily. Especially around the welds. Same story for most bolts and smallish bolts/screws.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  13. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  14. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And the bonnet and boot lid are ALUMINIUM.

Yes, but that would almost certainly not have been covered by an aftermarket rust-protection warranty.

#14 alanclarkeau, Sep 29, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2020
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Really? Nice. Ours is steel (well the bonnet anyway. I don’t know about the boot lid) on the Corolla saloon.

16. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    WOOPS - I'm thinking PRIUS. No - Corolla is only steel:cry::cry:.

17. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Not sure why they wouldn't apply Krown or similar. There are tons of hybrid owners in SW Ontario. Check with other dealers. Hopefully other owners can chime in.

18. Robert van Nostrand

Robert van Nostrand New Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    FYI, I used Krown Rust annually for my new 2010 Suzuki and had zero body rust after 14 years in Salty Nova Scotia, when I finally sold it.

19. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Be afraid. Be very afraid.

The systems that work by trickling electricity through the frame work very well on boats but are questionable on autos.

The thing to do is to sit down and read the actual warranty, not the sales literature. The sales brochures are just advertising happy talk.

20. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    old thread...

FWIW: Toyota has a 5 year unlimited mileage rust through warranty.

kenmce likes this.