1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2021 Prime oil type & level question

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dtsexpert, Jan 30, 2023.

1. dtsexpert

dtsexpert Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE

My 21 xle just passed 30k so no more free oil change from Toyota.
    Today I took it to my local mechanic who takes care of my van Odyssey very well, a l good honest one IMO.
    He put 0w-20 and told me that it is fine since we live in San Francisco where the weather ranges 55 - 75, not too cold not too hot.
    Is his statement correct? I know that the manual states if 0w-20 is used, next oil change should be 0w-16.

Also I check the oil level, it is right at the middle between the 2 dots. Is the level correct?
    My EV percentage is around 82%.
    Thanks all in advance

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    He’s not that far off the mark, with either his oil weight opinion or the level.

Your engine will not mind 0W20 in the least, you could even move to 5W20. His ambient temp justication seems backwards, but immaterial.

regarding the dipstick level, mid-point between the two marks is “theoretically” optimum I’d say. Still, todays pro oil changes tend to aim to have it on the top mark, customers like to get full measure. The not unreasonable argument being you’ve more grace if there’s any amount of oil consumption.

dtsexpert likes this.