1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2021 Prime

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Tips, Jul 17, 2020.

1. yaun

yaun Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Does remote climate control through the Toyota app work for you? I still haven't heard back from them.

That sounds much more encouraging than my country road tests. I'll have to try it out on a highway. How does it do when the right solid line gets interrupted because of on/off ramps?

Gokhan likes this.
  2. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I've never tried the remote A/C, but since I have the Limited trim, I think mine would work.

I find that the lane-keep assist works especially well at ramps where the lane marks fork. The car appears to automatically steer itself when entering and exiting the ramps.

3. SciRunner

SciRunner Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Remote Climate is part of and tied to Safety Connect service. On the 2021 XLE/Limited it is a 3yr trial. I think on the LE it is a 1 year trial. Haven’t tried remote A/C but Remote heat works and defrost. I can’t recall if the traction battery need sufficient charge.

It took awhile for Toyota App 3.0 to work. Seems like the dealership and Toyota Customer Service needed to talk and buttons clicked, register, unregister...took a while. Toyota’s implementation of the features is not consistent across all current year vehicles likely due to the age/type of head-unit. XLE (unsure about LE/Limited) doesn’t get remote start, unlock/lock, find my car. Probably wont subscribe to Safety Connect/Remote Services after the trial ends.
    590078AF-9501-425F-95FB-5BF47CA4C9AC.jpeg

Make sure the dealer lowers the tires air pressure to 36 front / 35 rear before you test drive the car. Most on here have said they unknowingly took delivery with 45+PSI (shipping pressure).

#43 SciRunner, Jan 11, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
  4. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Sigh... I really wish the remote apps were available on the Canadian Prius Primes, they are available on other Toyota models. Why, Toyota??? :mad::(

Tideland Prius and bluespruce like this.
  5. bluespruce

bluespruce Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    It is odd how toyota does things. You would think that alot of software would be universal across their product line and updated. You would think it would be easier than having every car model different.

Sarge likes this.
  6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Cause we only got Entune when it arrived in its 3rd version. The Gen 4 was the last vehicle on Entune 2.x

The Camry was the first car with Entune in Canada for 2018.

Sarge likes this.
  7. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Right, so the question is why was Entune 2.x not available to Canada? Is there a technical reason (different cellular coverage, etc), or was it just political?

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No idea. Could be cellular coverage (I mean, Saskatchewan didn't get 4G LTE until a few years ago). Not sure how Onstar handled the gaps or unevenness of coverage. (There's still no cell coverage on the Icefields Parkway between Lake Louise and Jasper).

I think another could be number of users with cellular data plans. Data plans were (and still are) expensive. Even now, I suspect most people either don't have data plans (they just hop from wifi hotspot to wifi hotspot) or have minimal data plans just enough for e-mail. They weren't going to launch a service of a large majority of their customers can't use it or won't pay for it (because they can't use it) after the free trial.

Safety Connect was launched with the Gen 3 Prius way back in 2009. Entune was introduced around... 2012? 2014? I can't remember when 2.0 came in.

9. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Am I to understand that the Remote Apps (Charge Management, Vehicle Locator, Remote Cimate) are back in the 2021, after disappearing in the 2020? Only in certain trims, or all now, now that all trims have s Safety Connect cell phone?

10. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, according to Toyota, in 2021 PP models, all three models have Safety Connect and Remote Connect standard. LE model also has the WiFi Connect, but this is unchanged from 2020. In 2020 models all three models had Safety Connect standard but none had Remote Connect capability. However, the Remote Connect functionality in the 2021 PP models is for Remote Climate only. It does not mention anything about the Remote Charge control or vehicle locator.

https://www.toyota.com/content/connectedservices/marketing/PDF/MY21_Connected_Services_Table.pdf

Screenshot 2021-01-16 at 5.46.19 PM.png

Screenshot 2021-01-16 at 5.43.58 PM.png

#50 Salamander_King, Jan 16, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    Tideland Prius likes this.
  11. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    @Salamander_King, you're carless (note: not careless) now? LOL

Salamander_King likes this.
  12. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, I am borrowing my DW's PathHy once a week for my errands. Still searching for my next car, but I won't need it until I go back to regular daily commuting. No idea when that is going to be...

Gokhan likes this.
  13. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Ok/ was looking at a Limited Prime. Was curious if any regrets on the raised back floor board area?

14. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not at all. Granted, I'd love it if I had all the Prime's capabilities plus the spare tire & storage of my wife's '17 Prius Two. But since it's either/or, not both, I'll take the Prime.

ETP likes this.
  15. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    A
    Any helps on how the dealer does discounts if any?????? I am thinking it is all hidden in trades and add ons. Curious how federal rebates go for this.

16. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was over at Sun Toyota the other day and they actually had a Prime on the new car lot. Happens once or twice a year. Price on the Monroney sticker was about a grand over MSRP as I recall. Of course, traditionally, the published price is a lie. It was an LE (base) model. I've never heard of a dealer discount around here for a Prime. It's rare to even find a Prime at all.

The most economical way is to get a oneway ticket to a northeastern state like NJ, NY, etc because they have dealer rebates like $3-4,000 which will more than cover travel & lodging. The $4500 federal rebate on a new Prime is still available if you owe enough tax to get it all.

If you don't want to mess with travel and don't want to spend more than MSRP, keep an eye on Tampa Hybrids. He doesn't have any Primes right now, but gets them pretty frequently. He's an outstanding used car dealer and knows more about the Prius than any Toyota dealer I've ever talked to. I've bought six cars from him. Let him know I sent you. Not sure if that'll get you anything, but it won't hurt. He doesn't dicker. You never have to wonder about his lowest price. It's right there on the website.

#56 jerrymildred, Jan 23, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
    pjm877, Merkey, ETP and 1 other person like this.
  17. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The federal incentive isn't a rebate. It is a tax credit. So most won't see a benefit until tax time.

GSK and jerrymildred like this.
  18. pghyndman

pghyndman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Absolutely!

We are picking up a 2021 Limited next week from our Connecticut dealer (Costco sanctioned) which gave us the current regional $4000 Toyota MFG rebate and an additional $1000 rebate (for which we did not have to jump through any other hoops (not financed, leased, recent college graduate, active military, etc, etc) and a $890 dealer discount for a total of $5890 no haggle off the MSRP.

[​IMG]

jerrymildred and ETP like this.
  19. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Send me a Private message on the dealer if this is the way! LOL

20. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Also, is the rear hatch larger and cab a tad longer. I read somewhere that the hatch was different and the back of the cab.