1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2021 Prime

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Tips, Jul 17, 2020.

1. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I keep mixing up those terms. It's an actual reduction of tax owed rather than a reduction of taxable income or a refund that comes later in the year.

From https://www.sapling.com/7884940/tax-credit-vs-rebate:

ETP likes this.
  2. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Ok/ all good info!
    Now for the Supersonic Red! The envelope please.
    Looked everywhere for a description of the exact nature of the paint and came up empty. Toyota has detailed the two special paints or more in the past with a brochure.
    So any inputs on how this paint is different? I try to always buy the White Pearl but not an option this time around with Moonglow interior.

3. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
  4. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
  5. SciRunner

SciRunner Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    @ETP If not mentioned already, the multimedia unit on XLE and Limited models are not Android compatible (only Apple CarPlay). I found it funny when I saw “iPod” as an available audio source.

Also less Toyota app functions on XLE and Limited vs the lower end LE (there are recent discussions about this).

Qi charging and the SofTex seats is more important to me so I went with the XLE.

ETP likes this.
  6. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    I don’t have a Prime (yet), but I look at it this way:

1. The space in the hatch is actually bigger than it looks. Though considerably less than other Prius, almost 20 cu ft is very comparable to many other vehicles and several PHEV sedans (like Clarity). So don’t be deceived by appearance, what is given up in visible height is offset by extended length.

2. How often do you really need to use the full cargo capacity anyway? For most people it is probably not very often. If this is the case, there are other options such as a roof rack or hitch storage that could be added for occasional use. The benefit here is you don’t have the constant negative for this benefit - like buying a big truck or SUV to move a trailer once a year while commuting alone with it daily - but rather it can be added only when needed. A cargo box and roof rack is much cheaper. :)

In the end, logically it makes more sense to sacrifice a bit of space for something that will used mostly daily (larger battery), than using that space for something seldom used (I.e. a few more cu ft you rarely need).

Same logic applies to the absent spare tire. :)

Just my $0.02.

7. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Looking for the iphone car play app if there is one. Nope evidently its on the Prius screen and you hard connect your phone.
    Wonder if any 2019s FW were updated for this?
    I see amazon music which could be helpful if you have unlimited data. I guess you could download your amazon music to your cell phone and play it.
    Still trying to figure out if this is useful for me.

Bought the White Pearl instead of the Red.

Also noticed on the way home that the traction battery didn't charge past the first mark. So I plugged it in and starting reading in the manual. Evidently you can force charge a low battery while driving.
    So the next question is=
    Do any of the modes fully charge the battery or was it a bridge too far for a dead battery on a first drive at 50 minutes?

#67 ETP, Jan 24, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what are you talking about? what dead battery? prius won't work with a dead 12v or hybrid battery, period.

charge mode will charge the battery up to 80%, but it is less efficient than plugging in

the other modes have nothing to do with charging the battery.

the car won't charge the battery on its own, unless you're coming down a mountain.

that's why you have a plug

#68 bisco, Jan 24, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
  9. SciRunner

SciRunner Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    There is charge mode function (Owners Manual pg 91) but I would hold off using it until after the engine break-in period. A burning oily smell is more obvious in charge mode on a new engine as it burns off the factory coatings from the exhaust/cat system. Engine runs higher revs and uses more fuel in charge mode (pg 89).

I’ve been using ECO + HV on long drives and notice it adds available miles to the traction battery faster than in Normal + HV.

ETP likes this.
  10. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    CHG mode can charge to traction battery up to 80%. lf you have a long downhill, it is possible to bring the traction battery from 0% to full, but it will take a really long downhill.

pakitt likes this.
  11. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    With or without "charge mode" enabled?

ETP likes this.
  12. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Sorry for the confusing dead battery comment. It pretty much stayed at the first charge mark in ECO mode for a 50-60 minute drive. Dealer put it that mode as I had no idea which mode to use.
    I asked the dealer which mode to charge it on the way home and they did not have a clue.
    So it charged last night (on the cord) in around 5ish hours. Was wondering now that it is charged from a house source if the ECO mode will keep it charged or will it drift down to the first charge line again?
    Just trying to establish what is normal for this car so I can forget about it and drive it.
    I plan to charge it between trips when convenient and drive it in the most fuel efficient mode that will properly charge the battery without my intervention. I assume that ECO mode will not let the battery get below the first mark.
    Also the manual said to unplug it after it is charged and not leave the vehicle plugged in as it will drain the 12 volt battery.
    Now I understand the comments about timers on forums. I will most likely plug it in after a trip and unplug it before Bisco time ?:ROFLMAO::LOL:

#72 ETP, Jan 25, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
  13. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Bisco! Time for a tall glass of red dry wine.:) Wish I had one!
    How are you doing these days and Still alive!!!!!
    I was tired after a long day and used the wrong word. Folks have been saying you drive this like a normal Prius and it will charge the traction battery. So everyone may be correct in this area. It might only keep the battery charged to a certain point (first mark). I was expecting it to slowly charge the traction battery like a normal Prius.
    I will read the 808 page manual before I die. Promise:LOL:.

#73 ETP, Jan 25, 2021
    pjm877 and bisco like this.
  14. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You can do without CHG mode using only regenerative brake if you have looooong hill. But, if you use CHG mode, then all you need would be a short hill to fill up the final 20%.
    See my experiment here: Battery Charging After Depletion? | Page 2 | PriusChat

#74 Salamander_King, Jan 25, 2021
    pakitt and jerrymildred like this.
  15. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When driven like a "normal Prius," it will act like a normal Prius. The regular Prius wants to keep the traction battery centered on six bars showing on the battery indicator. The Prime doesn't have a six bar SoC indicator because it has a ginormous battery. The bottom part is the quantity of charge available for HV. Everything above that is for EV but can be used in HV.

Sooooo .... The Prime driven in HV mode will want to keep the SoC wherever it was when you or the car put it into HV mode. If it's in HV because you ran out of EV range, it's going to stay right around that big dividing line on the SoC indicator. If the EV range shows, for example, 55%, it's going to hover around that point give or take 1-2%. (Like a regular Prius hovers around six bars give or take a couple bars.)

So, if you have 10% charge showing, for example, and you're in HV on level ground, the SoC wills stay around 10%. But then you go down from the top of Trail Ridge Road to Estes Park. The charge may get up to 80-90%. I don't remember exactly. Keep driving around Estes in HV and the level will run back down to 10%.

But if you wanted to hang on to that 80% and use it later, just put the car in EV mode when you get to the bottom of the mountain and then right back to HV. (Or better yet, put it in EV at the top of the mountain so that B mode can help you w/o running the engine and back to HV at the bottom of the hill.) That 80% is the new base point for HV driving. BECAUSE, the SoC when you put the car into HV is the SoC it will maintain while in HV, no matter how it got to that point or what the level happens to be.

#75 jerrymildred, Jan 25, 2021
    yaun, ETP, pakitt and 1 other person like this.
  16. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Note that the cargo area (LxW) is smaller than the Gen 3. My Gen 3 cargo mat is folded up by the seats and one of the flaps by the cutout is folded. The width at its narrowest point is the same as the Gen 3.

bisco likes this.
  17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    main reason i don't have one.:cool:

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hey man! :cool: wine consumed, ahem: no need to read, but you did buy a plug in hybrid. it was designed to provide 25 ev only miles +- (no engine) when desired, not to keep the battery mostly charged like a regular prius.

#78 bisco, Jan 25, 2021
  19. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Very useful information! Many thanks.

My next experiment is after a full charge at home to drive in HV and see what happens. Suspect "as you said" it may keep a higher charge.
    At 51cents to charge (in theory only with TECO) it calls out to be charged every night. Just have to get it on a schedule so I can unplug it after a charge.

While we are on that topic: The schedule charges feature in the 11.2 " display, does it auto shut down the charging mechanisms so not to mess with the 12 volt battery as stated in the warning in the full manual?
    That way I could plug it in and forget about it.

jerrymildred likes this.
  20. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    OK, back area behind the seat looks smaller to me. However the quality of this car in even higher than normal. Doors all shut better and have a better feel. Thank you for the 15" tires!!!!!! Hated those low rider curb crunchers.
    Drives like it is/heavier and a real solid feel.
    I am sorry I ever bought a regular Prius after driving this unit/and a regular Prius is perfect.

Feels hand made by the best craftsman in the world.

Might get rid of my Highlander and get a second one/or an old beat up truck.

Sarge, pjm877 and jerrymildred like this.