2021 Prius - Disable Virtual Engine Sound - AKA Spaceship hum

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Armitage Shanks, Dec 22, 2020.

1. Donkro

Donkro New Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Similar to others, I took the speaker out, filled in the speaker with caulk, wrapped it in foam and Gorilla tape. Can barely hear it going forward, much quieter in reverese.

Bryan Thomas likes this.
  2. Bryan Thomas

Bryan Thomas New Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Economodder, Thanks for the idea of just putting duct tape on it. However when I wrapped mine, it was still too loud. So I ended up removing it entirely from the car, and just putting a jumper bridge across the wires in the plug and taped it to keep the water out. This fooled the car in thinking it was still installed in the car. That way you won't get the error message on the dash. Now the car is nice and quiet as it should be.

pjksr02 and bisco like this.
  3. PearlBlizzard

PearlBlizzard Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    No aftermarket speaker that has a more pleasant noise vs the squealing brake sound. Perhaps even the jetsons space ship sound. Anything else would be better. It irritates me to drive at speeds below 22mph or reverse.

4. Bootney Lee Farnsworth

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I just picked up a PP XLE last week... Maybe I'm in the minority but I kind of like the low-speed spaceship hum! The previous car I was driving was a 2015 Ford Fusion Energy (plug-in hybrid), which I've given to another family member. Here are a few observations:

1. I only notice it when the windows are rolled down and I'm in a quiet place, like my garage or other parking garage. I'm usually listening to music so I rarely hear the hum.
    2. The 2015 Fusion Energi is dead silent, and people in parking lots are completely unaware that I'm behind them. One time I had to honk the horn to let this "senior" person know I was there. She just about had a heart attack (from the horn). Good thing she didn't, because I really didn't want to perform CPR on her.
    3. Since the shifter in a "unique" location, and it doesn't stay in the "Reverse" location like on my Fusion Energi, the louder hum in reverse *reminds* me that I'm in reverse. Better to be reminded with the sound; otherwise I might think I'm in Drive, then BOOM... I just backed into something like a wall or other car.

Anyway, just a counterpoint to disabling the sound.

jerrymildred likes this.
  5. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Congrats on the new ride ... and welcome! Maybe they need a "parking lot horn." Push the button and a speaker goes, "Do ya mind?!" :LOL: