1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2021 Prius Prime Parking Brake

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by PiPLosAngeles, Mar 15, 2021.

1. PiPLosAngeles

PiPLosAngeles Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Just drove home a 2021 Prime LE from the dealership and the parking brake pedal depresses but it doesn't engage even if you press it to the floor. There is no "ratchet" sound either like normal. Is there any DIY fix that doesn't involve 4 hours at the dealership less than 12 hours after purchase?

Thanks.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds like it is totally disconnected. can you see anything?

vvillovv likes this.
  3. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I have to check the back brakes as soon as it warms here and rent techstream again for that too.

Man. I'd be just a little annoyed if I got a new Prime with no Emergency Brake... This is the first I've read here for this one. I can't help other than suggesting pull a back wheel and check t he cable is attached to the caliper as a first step.
    Someone with Techstream might be able to assist with how to get at the the cable by the pedal.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I wouldn’t “muddy the waters” with DIY this early on; have the dealership fix it. Maybe ask for refund of the PDI charge too. Interesting document here:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10162245-9999.pdf

Note in “road test” section, check of parking brake operation.

Just for giggles check your tire pressures too.

And just inboard of the two rear scissor jack locations on the underbody: there’s oval holes in reinforced plate on both sides of car, that SHOULD have plugs.

#4 Mendel Leisk, Mar 15, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
  5. PiPLosAngeles

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Thanks guys. I'm just trying to avoid the dealer because that's 4 - 6 hours out of my day. I can't even take it to the selling dealer because I had to drive pretty far for the deal.

6. PiPLosAngeles

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    The cable's connected. Pressing the brake stops the car from rolling, there's just nothing engaging to hold it. It's acting like a regular brake pedal.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    okay, then it's just the ratchet mechanism. i've never looked at mine, can you see anything that looks like it has teeth, splines or ridges?

8. PiPLosAngeles

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I don't even know where to look. I wish there was someone who could press the brake while I looked to see what's moving. Does anyone know where the mechanism is located?

9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If the car is able to roll back and forth an inch or two with the parking brake “engaged”, it’s not working.

Again, when you just dropped $25k+ on a new, warrantied car, and payed through the nose for PDI, I wouldn’t touch it; just raise hell.

10. PiPLosAngeles

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    The dealer I bought it from was very cooperative and offered to bump me to the front of the service line and service it immediately, but they're a two-hour drive each way in traffic.

11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The mechanism is right up where the pedal pivots.

Mine acts the same way, when the weather is cold enough. In summer when the grease on the ratchet is like thin soup, it makes a bright clicky ratchety sound when depressed, and holds securely. In mild winter when the grease is like mayonnaise, it makes a softer, almost non-clicky sound when depressed, and holds securely. In a real cold snap when the grease is like peanut butter, I have to press the pedal down and hold it for a few seconds to let the ratchet pawl settle recalcitrantly into place, and then it holds securely.

I'm willing to trust the OP to tell the difference between a parking brake that brakes the wheels but doesn't latch down, and one that doesn't brake the wheels.

12. PiPLosAngeles

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Are there more than two brake pedals? All I've ever seen is the regular brake and the parking brake.

13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You’re too easy on them. They dropped the ball, AND took your money for PDI.

Trollbait likes this.
  14. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just curious. So are you back in Prius Prime again? What happened to your Leaf Plus.

As to the brake problem, I can't offer anything helpful, but if it was mine, yeah, I will take it back to the dealer... A brand new car 12 hours old. I mean... I hope they stand behind the car they sell.

15. PiPLosAngeles

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I still have it, but not for long. I learned the hard way that Nissan is a brand to be avoided at all costs. Every single thing in that car is half-assed, if you'll excuse my French. The BEV part I loved, and I could even beat V8 Mustangs up the freeway onramps, leaving them a little surprised. However, there are so many bizarre quirks and random intermittent malfunctions that it was really causing a lot of stress while driving. It came to the point that I decided I valued my sanity more than the money I'm losing. I can make a quick short list here just to paint a picture:

1. The radio turns on when you start the car, even if it was off when you turned the car off. Worse, it doesn't turn on until about 10 seconds after you start. That meant that it would come on while I was in reverse going out of the garage and down the driveway. You can't turn the stereo off while in reverse. So if it blasts you because the kids had it loud at some point you can't stop getting blasted until you're done reversing.

2. The reverse camera is so blurry that you can't tell if that dark spot on the ground is a shadow or a dog. This picture illustrates how bad it is. The top is a picture of the reverse camera and the bottom is a picture of the actual scene.

[​IMG]
      The dealer inspected and reported this was normal operation. Nissan North America said they don't second-guess dealerships, so if they say it's normal Nissan North America is not going to take any steps to elevate the issue.

3. Some of the body panels were pretty misaligned. For example, the gap between the hood and fender on the passenger side was twice as big as the gap on the driver's side. It was noticeable even from a distance. It reminded my of how shantytown construction looks ... a loose patchwork of ill-fitting panels.

4. The windows would get stuck to the rubber seals and the motor couldn't pull the window down for a moment, then the tension would be released with a loud pop. I tried some silicone on the rubber, but it didn't help.

5. The feature that Toyota calls Lane Sway alert was so bad that it was fooled by shadows and lines in the pavement more often than it detected actual lane drift. When tested it almost never detected actual drifting across lines, even double yellows.

6. I experienced a warning light indicating that the collision avoidance system was malfunctioning, but only intermittently.

7. Sometimes I'd get into the car and the clock would randomly be 40 minutes ahead (for example).

8. The backup camera display is so dim that you can't see it even on overcast days with brightness set to 100%.

9. You can't reliably control the HVAC system. For example, depressing the recirculation button will usually switch to that mode and illuminate the light on the button, but then sometimes the button will light up but it won't switch modes. It's fun when you end up sucking a car full of black diesel exhaust because you couldn't make the car switch to recirculate.

10. When in manual mode and you set a temperature on the climate controls, it has no effect on the temperature of the output. You can have a 75° cabin temp, set the system to A/C with the temperature set to 75°F and it still blows air at 50°F. The only way to regulate temperature output is to switch to AUTO, which makes you lose control of fan speed and recirculation. Adjusting the temperature setting in the Prius changes the temperature of the output.
    As crazy as it sounds, this is just a shortened summary. I know for some people these things aren't a big deal, but for me every day I was wondering what problem or frustration I was going to experience. I had my annoyances with the Prius, but I wasn't overwhelmed with a long list of them that made me think about my car even when I wasn't driving it.

16. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for the SHORT review of Nissan Leaf. Now, you are making me rethink what car I should buy when it comes time for me to find my next daily driver. Yeah, many of the things you are listing are not features I care about, but I wonder if it's that bad when the car is brand new, what would be like in a long run. Well, I am celebrating 1 year anniversary of working from home. I almost traded in my 2020 PP to 2020 Leaf last year, but in the end, I just sold the PP for cash and $4000 capital gain. I have been carless since the beginning of this year. I don't think I am in hurry to find my next car anytime soon, but your review of LEAF is making me nervous about keeping it on the top of my shortlist.

17. PiPLosAngeles

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I suppose it comes down to personality type. If you would even remotely classify yourself as "detail-oriented," OCD, or any related style, I don't think you would like it. If you're more the type to not notice or sweat the small stuff it might not bother you that much.

Rent one for a couple of weeks beforehand if you can.

The ONE thing where Nissan excelled over every Toyota I've ever owned is rattles. That car did not have a single rattle or squeak the entire time I had it. All 6 Toyotas I've owned in the past developed rattles in the first 2,000 miles and eventually end up sounding like the cans dragged behind a newly-wed's car.

18. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I had a rattle problem with my 2017 PP, but not with the 2020 PP. Overall, I noticed the built quality of LEAF was not on par with PP when I had a chance to test drive the 2019 Leaf a couple years ago. But we have Nissan Pathfinder Hybrid that I picked up a couple years ago used. The built quality of PathHy is decent, at least compared to our predecessor, Toyota Sienna. I wonder, how I feel about it if I compare PathHy to the same year model HiHy?

19. PiPLosAngeles

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I found the parking brake problem. Whoever installed the dealer's aftermarket tracking device got the ODB2 port wires bound up in the mechanism. I want to disconnect it, but I'm having trouble reaching in there to do it. Is there a way to remove that kick panel easily?

vvillovv and pghyndman like this.
  20. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    No, there was just some question cast in post #9 about whether you had a connected parking brake with a malfunctioning ratchet, or a malfunctioning parking brake. My money was on the malfunctioning ratchet.