1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2021 Prius XLE- tire noise?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Donkro, Oct 25, 2020.

1. Donkro

Donkro Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I'm afraid I've been spoiled by my 2016 Subaru Outback as it's pretty quiet compared to most cars. While I like most things about this Prius, I can't decide if it's the tires making noise at highway speeds, or lack of sound insulation, or both. Consumer Reports says the Ecopia from Bridgestone is rated well for noise. The only time I don't hear tire noise is either when I'm going slow or on the highway on a relatively new patch of smooth asphalt. I'm not going to trade in a new set of tires so will ride them out. Any thoughts?

2. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We have a different ECOPIA here in Australia - but they're about average. BUT - with your PRIUS, they've worked on weight saving, and hence my guess is that there is probably less sound-proofing. Plus, the tyres are ECO focused rather than grip.

To offset it - you're probably using less than half the fuel an Outback was using.

bisco likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    both. michelin energy savers will help, but insulating the wheel wells, spare tire area, fire wall, floorboards and etc. can really quiet things down.
    it's the price you pay when manufacturers are racing for an extra mpg

4. Prius-newbie

Prius-newbie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    To me it seems like most of the noise is from the front wheel wells more than the back area.
    Anyone know how to sound proof the front wheel wells?

5. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    All Prius, at least Gen 2 and newer, are not known for quiet in the cabin. They've all been loud. Gen 4 is better than earlier, but still loud road noise-wise. Perhaps try some foam ear plugs if it really annoys you...

6. Josem3

Josem3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    If have the original Yokohama tires and those are not quiet at all. I switched to Goodyear Assurance Comfortred tires which are much better handling and road noise. My Prius Three Touring is very quiet and better than my previous Prius V.

Ajrob671 and AzWxGuy like this.