1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2021 Summer Pricing

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by lmans66, Jun 13, 2021.

1. lmans66

lmans66 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I am thinking of getting a 2021 Prius Prime Limited..... This seems to be about the right time of the year to look for these as there are still a few of them around, and the Toyota Rebates are coming out.

I am looking at a Limited Prime with MSPR of 35,498..... I would have a trade-in and frankly this is where the haggling with a dealer comes into play. Toyota is offering $5000 in rebates and the Feds are offering a $4500 Tax Rebate. While the latter isn't directly '$ for $' it still amounts to money at years end.

So $35498, less $5000 in Toyota money..... isn't a bad deal as Taxes and fees are always added at the end, with the taxes depending on the amount difference between MSRP and Trade-in.

There is no dealer Adjusted Market Value technically being tagged on, so that is good....nor other fees hidden in the costs in the contract, so that is good.

In the past I have purchased a 2008 and kept it till 2018. I leased a 2018 Prime for two years, and now am back in the market for another go-around with what seemingly is my favorite car. The one I am looking at is silver and although I wish they made Pearl White in the Limited edition, I don't believe they do, so the Silver is fine for hot Arizona weather.

I feel this is a pretty good deal on a Limited at with the $5000. Should I be attempting to push for 'invoice' and if so, what is the invoice of this Prius? It appears to be around $32600 and destination charges added on, as they always are. So around $33,500. How much lower can I go, if I can. Of course I am not an idiot when buying a car and know that the 'trade-in' will simply be played with to make the numbers look good for me. IE: I get invoice minus $5000, I get less trade-in $ etc..... But still $5000 rebates + $4500 Fed Tax Rebate, is pretty darn good alone..... My deal 'as is' now is $35498, minus Trade-in- minus $5000 Toyota rebate, plus tax, plus tags...Am I missing something?

#1 lmans66, Jun 13, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    don't tell them you have a trade in until they give you a bottom line, the get a price for the trade and compare to carmax.
    are you emailing multiple dealers?

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    "Tax Rebate" is simply the wrong term for the federal incentive. "Tax credit" is much more accurate, especially when the word "nonrefundable" is included.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i like 'fungible'

AzWxGuy likes this.
  5. amos

amos Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just wondering how much is the dmv registration fees annually on a 35k car?

6. alam99

alam99 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Since CarMax bought Edmunds, their quotes are lower than KBB. I suggest getting a competitive appraisal from Carvana. My recent experience with them resulted in almost 10% higher than KBB. Good luck!

bisco likes this.
  7. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    That's so close to "fungal" it isn't funny...

bisco likes this.