1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2022 BMW i4 Official Thread

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by Tideland Prius, Oct 12, 2021.

1. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    "Nice Car"
    Don Henley In the Garden of Allah

£ 64,000.00
    $ 87,000.00

From Driving.ca video - i4 M50 dual motor 500+ hp 600+ ft/lbs torque for 10 seconds 475 km range + lots of bells and whistles like a 14" landscaped display.

I thought of a BMW S1000RR which I can't afford either.

2. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I'll pass on the overpriced over engineered expensive plastic impregnated carbon fiber machine built to satisfy someone's need for image.

Their resale values plummet like rocks off a cliff.

I'd either buy a Tesla or a Toyota EV when they are really mature and mainstream.

Until then, I'll keep my 2012 Prius v.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Please let me know when the EPA entry shows up.

Bob Wilson

4. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    We have one i4 at home.
    It was an excruciating wait (even for me being European and used to BTO car deliveries - there is no "stock" at EU dealers) of over a year - from pre-order to delivery.
    Apart software issues that I will explain later, it is a fantastic car. Drives very well, it is quiet, it is FAST even in the "base" eDrive 40.

The biggest issue has been the software version at delivery was extremely buggy. it would have saved us quite the frustration had the dealer bothered to make sure the latest software was installed (the car had 2022/06.xx - we received the car in December and a 2022/11.xx was available that fixed all the things that were not working), it would have been a much better experience.

Also, BMW calls regular cruise control without radar "dynamic cruise control", which means that it reads the speed signs, and if enabled, it will set the CC to that read speed. The radar cruise control is called "adaptive cruise control", and it is not a standard feature in a 60k$ car... no comment...

They tried to sell us useless maintenance packages in the thousands, but I guess the salesman is forced by management. He wasn't even trying too hard. The next "service" to flush and replace the brake fluid is in 2024 (after 2 year) and to change filters. That's it. Such a relief from endless visits to dealers to change the oil, etc....

The car was delivered with squeaky brakes. When we pointed that out and we were told "it's like that". My Prius costing half and driven in the same climate and delivered in the same season, never once had squeaky brakes. After several hundred miles, they stopped making the noise. Sometimes it happens again, but very quietly and for a very short time. Who knows why. And you would think Germans know how to make brakes in a car....do they?

The thing that is still completely broken is GPS navigation with Apple Car Play (and Android Auto as well - we tested both).
    There are specific points on certain roads in which, as far as we can tell, there is cell tower interference (this happens always in the SAME EXACT POINTS, hence we thought cell towers) that Apple Car Play stops working completely and the phone gets disconnected, and it wouldn't reconnect no matter what. It is that pissed off. When we received a 3 series with the i7 infotainment software, when we had the car to the dealer a month after delivery to see if they could fix this, the same exact issue, in the same exact place. It doesn't matter which phone you use (we tried 3 different phones running on 2 different phone operators).
    This morning there has been an update (2022/11.60). It now reconnects after re-activating CarPlay "by hand". But then the car reports to Apple Car Play a position that is a few miles away from the car.
    If you disconnect the phone and check Maps, the phone shows the right position. A couple of seconds after connecting to CarPlay, the car's wrong GPS position is relayed to the phone, and in Maps you see your location move to the wrong position. (CarPlay uses always the in-car GPS hardware, not the phone's).
    The myBMW app also shows the wrong position.The in-car navigation shows the right position at all times instead. So there has to be a nasty bug in the interface that presents the GPS position to CarPlay/Android Auto/myBMW, that in specific but repeatable situation gets completely disrupted. Then after x hours, it sorts of corrects itself.

This makes using CarPlay/Android Auto impossible as it randomly "loses its mind" and tells you you are in a neighborhood street, when in fact you are on the highway. They say there is a fix coming, and after many protests from some dealers and owners alike (you can read a lot about it at i4talk.com), BMW USA says that they are "aware of the issue" (as posted publicly on their BMW Twitter channel), but nothing available yet.

My Prius never has had an issue in the same locations (or ever for that matter), with GPS and CarPlay. (though sometimes it displays "USB error" and it won't connect at all unless you turn off the car - it has happened with two separate phones and several iOS updates).

Also the car is equipped with adaptive headlights, but the software to actually allow beam forming is not available yet. I am not even too sure anymore on whether the law has passed completely last year and it is now possible to have cars in the USA with adaptive headlights.

Otherwise the car is amazing :) but with no properly functioning CarPlay/Android Auto...

#5 pakitt, Apr 6, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2023
    Tideland Prius and ammdb like this.