1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2022 Bolt EUV Initial impressions

Discussion in 'GM Hybrids and EVs' started by jerrymildred, Sep 10, 2022.

1. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We pulled the trigger the day before yesterday. After about a year of going back and forth between Tesla M3, Ioniq 5, and Bolt, I decided on the Bolt and have been looking for one for a few weeks. It was a little stunning how it came together.

As you probably know, EVs are hard to find. I kept hearing radio ads from Stingray Chevrolet in Plant City and how they never charge over MSRP. So I checked their website on Wednesday. (Today is Friday.) I was looking for the EUV, light color, preferably an LT with the comfort and driver convenience packages. They had one. There was a buy online tool, but it didn't let me complete the deal. It kept running me back to the start. So, the next morning, I called as soon as they opened.

You'll be shocked to learn that it sold the day before. Hooda thunk? BUT, they said they had an ice blue one on the lot. It hadn't had the new battery installed (recall the recall?), but we could at least look at it. My wife and I said, "Let's do that. Who knows where it might lead?"

She had a doctor appointment at 10:30 that was about 1/3 of the way from our house to Plant City so we set the appointment for 12:15 to make sure we could get there in time. The doctor's appointment was so quick that we were actually out of there before 10:30, so we headed for the Interstate and Plant City in the Prime that we planned to trade. Stay with me, this is where it started getting weird.

Part way to Plant City, Stingray called. Mona (who was a hoot every time we talked) said she had "bad news." It turned out that they had just installed that battery and the car was for sale if we wanted it. It gets weirder. Before we left the house that morning, I grabbed the title for the Prime because, as I said, "You never know."

We got to Plant City about 45 minutes early so we stopped at a Burger King to have lunch and burn a little time. Three bites into our sandwiched, Mona texted me. "Hey hun, if you can get here any sooner that would be awesome! I just heard someone make an appt for 12 pm." "and there are no holds... ugh!" I practically swallowed the rest of the burger whole as we dumped our fries in the trash on the way out.

When we got there, they paged the salesman, Rick, and he took us to the car. He was super patient with all my questions about this button and that lever, and then we went for a nice long test drive down the frontage road and back on the Interstate. When we got back, my wife wanted to look at everything. Headlights, signals, cargo, folding seats, under the hood, everything. Rick stuck right with us.

In the end, he sold it to us not only at MSRP, but we didn't know that there was a $6,300 incentive on it from Chevy! Current Chevy Deals & Offers: New Car Deals
    Screen Shot 2022-09-10 at 7.54.31 AM Medium.jpeg

I was hoping to get the $21k KBB value for the Prime, but they offered $19k due to a few minor cosmetic things like that cracked acrylic grill. I didn't argue, since I was getting the unexpected $6,300 discount. It turns out that the price of the '23 Bolt EUV will drop by that amount, but the price of the '22 is unchanged, so this lets you buy the '22 for the same price as the '23. Without putting down any cash, we were out the door for a hair over $17,000.

I might have been able to talk them down a little, but it's doubtful since as we were doing the paper work, another couple was looking at the car hoping we would not buy it. And I was satisfied that we could afford it and it was worth it. And I have to say, the people at Stingray were great.

Next post will be the drive home and the next day's driving impressions.

#1 jerrymildred, Sep 10, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2022
    El Dobro, pghyndman, John321 and 10 others like this.
  2. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The drive home and my initial thoughts.

Before we left, Rick remembered to tell me that window tinting is included in the price, but it hadn't been done yet. Apparently it sat a while waiting on the new battery and he forgot to do that. So I'm going back next Thursday for that.

Also, apparently as it sat waiting for a battery, the tires lost some air. When we stopped for supper, I added some air to all four to bring them up from about 28 to about 35. Finished filling when we got home. Trip home was 54 miles. It's sure nice having actual tire pressure values visible on the display.

On a side note, that drive was long enough to get the impression that the seats are fairly comfortable.

Here's the ODO and SOC when we left Plant City.
    IMG_5484 Large.jpeg

IMG_5485 Large.jpeg
    And when we got home. 4 m/kWh didn't seem bad at 50-60 mph in mostly rain.

The cruise control seems to be the biggest adjustment for me. I really prefer having that big stalk a half inch from my right middle finger as opposed to stretching my left thumb to find that little button on the steering wheel.

On the other hand, one pedal driving is terrific. I'm still getting the hang of modulating the pedal at very low speed, but I'm able to do a pretty good job of setting the power indicator right on the middle line to free wheel when appropriate.

On the other hand, having the radio come on whether I want it to or not every time I start the car is a royal PITA. If there's a way to turn it OFF, I haven't found it, but I'm not yet to that part of the owners manual. (Yes, I got the PDF right away! :))

Yesterday's drive to work helped me get better and learn more stuff. This is the efficiency report for the drive home. For comparison, the Prime normally got 5.0 to 5.4 on that trip.

IMG_5487 Large.jpeg

I have not yet tested the supplied EVSE cable. I like that it's 120 or 240 V. The 240 is 32 amps, so I'll need to do some rewiring that will take some figuring since my panel is so full. I could just change my NEMA 10-30 to a 14-50 and run bigger wires and breaker. But it and the water heater (20A) are in a sub panel fed with #8 wire that won't handle the charger and water heater at the same time. So I think I'll be replacing a couple regular breakers in the main with tandems to make room for a 50A breaker in there. Besides, that way I can keep the old outlet for the old L2 EVSE so I still have a backup.

#2 jerrymildred, Sep 10, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2022
  3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Nice that the remaining range display includes a spread of max and min. Is that the norm for plug ins?

The seats are different than what the Sonic had. Bolt's are designed to take up less space. I mainly found them more comfortable than the Camry because the extra head space allowed a better position for me.

jerrymildred likes this.
  4. prius16

prius16 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Wow, great deal!
    Congratulations!

jerrymildred likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Congrats jerry!
    I considered a bolt, but found it too small.
    I’ll be watching your experience.
    All the best!

jerrymildred likes this.
  6. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't know of any other plug-ins that show a max-min. It is nice. I'll bet it's really nice on a trip and maybe the charging station you were counting on is down and you're wondering if you can get to the next one by conserving your electrons.

Reviews say they are more comfortable than the Bolt EV, but I don't know if they upgraded the EV seats in '22 or if that's just for the EUV.

I was surprised. To us, this EUV feels as roomy as the Prius. Cargo deck is shorter front to back, but much taller. Back seat has 3" more legroom than the regular EV so it appears to be on par with our Prius. I guess we could measure them. ;)

It's been raining here for about a week. I keep waiting for a bright day to take pictures. Looks like it might be another week yet to wait for that. So here's what the new buggy looked like a few minutes ago when I got home from buying electrical parts for my new outlet.

IMG_5491 Large.jpeg IMG_5492 Large.jpeg IMG_5493 Large.jpeg

I have ground clearance!!!! But I don't think I'll be changing the oil very often. :LOL:

Mendel Leisk, Merkey, bisco and 2 others like this.
  7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats @jerrymildred!! Those are fantastic numbers and a nice colour too!

The Bolt is really efficient. A colleague was able to get 4.5mi/kWh at highway speeds (60mph). I was shocked. I only get those numbers in the city. I’m into the 3.5s or lower on the highway with the EV6.

@Trollbait I think it’s a GM and possibly a Ford thing. Mine only changes the GOM if I fiddle with the climate control. It’ll also adjust the GOM if I have a destination input in the nav.

I like the min/max display in the Bolt - it gives a rough estimate at a glance without having to turn off the climate control or change Drive Modes.

jerrymildred and Trollbait like this.
  8. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I think we almost got an icy blue Malibu instead of the Camry. Don't recall the color's name. It's a silver, but light blue instead of light grey.

Looks like the Prius official rear legroom is 3 inches less than the Bolt EV. Width, hip and shoulder room, is the only place the Prius has advantage on paper. Some differences are in tenths of an inch though. The Bolt EV is in the small station wagon EPA size class. If it was in sedans like the the Prius, it would be at the low end of midsize. The Prius as more space, but it's in the cargo area.

jerrymildred likes this.
  9. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Congrats, Jerry!

The Bolt/Bolt EUV looks to be the value leader. Top contender for our eldest son, middle of next year if a deal can be had like yours.

jerrymildred likes this.
  10. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I have not seen that displayed in other EVs. I do really like it as well.

jerrymildred and Trollbait like this.
  11. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Congratulations on your new vehicle.

Those Bolts are a great value for the money.

jerrymildred likes this.
  12. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yup. I almost feel like we stole it. And they throw in $500 worth of EVgo charging. I'm trying to see how possible it might be to take this thing to MI next month. Probably couldn't do EVgo all the way, but it would help. (And when else would I use it?) Big problem is that the final leg to Traverse City, MI from Franklin, TN would be over 16 hours including 4 hours of charging. That's a LONG day. But we can't leave sooner and we need to get there when we're scheduled.

On the size issue, it feel more than roomy enough; very similar in the front to the Gen 4 Prius. But the Bolt EUV is several inches shorter than the Prius and gives us lots more room in the garage.

Edit to add: One more thing. No more Prime EV mode range anxiety. I can drive this sucker around town all day!!!!

Zythryn and Tideland Prius like this.
  13. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    $38K out the door (assuming the value of the Prime was the $21K listed in KBB) Is not much more than we spent on a Camry Hybrid 13 years ago. Hope you enjoy it.

2010moneypit? and jerrymildred like this.
  14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Keep in mind that ABRP is conservative (a good thing!) so you may arrive at the charger with 5-10% more than it says you will (unless you drive through a thunderstorm or heavy rain the entire segment between chargers).

Once you figure out your mi/kWh and the amount of charge you replenish, you can figure out your range and compare that to the car's GOM. (Just like a Prius!)

jerrymildred likes this.
  15. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, if we want to take this car to MI and OH, we'll have to revise the plan. Plan was to go from TN to MI in one day. ABRP says that will take over 16 hours including over 4 hours of charging. But if we go directly from TN to OH and then make an excursion to MI? I'll have to investigate that and consult with the wife to see how bad of a wrench that throws into things.

16. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Double-check the speed of the chargers to make sure the Bolt is getting as much charge as it can handle.
    While not in a Bolt, on our trips we tended to charge while eating or shopping. This made the charge time inconsequential.

jerrymildred likes this.
  17. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Looks like we'll be taking the Prius on this trip. Wife doesn't like my re-routing as it shortens the time she gets with her mom in Ohio.

On a side note, this morning I finished installing a NEMA 14-50 outlet. Well, almost finished. I ordered a meter for it and it arrives later today. I'll install that and then button up the breaker panel. I gave it a brief test and it works. It pulls 32 amps. The car was at about 70% and my limit is 80%. With the old 16A EVSE, the car estimated 2:45 to 80% and with the 32A unit that came with the car, it estimated 1:30 to 80%. I'll keep the old one as a backup.

So far, the only ones to see it are my co-workers at Tampa Hybrids. They all gave it a thumbs up. Tomorrow is an elder meeting for church, so we'll see what they say. It's going to be fun tomorrow driving to my dental appointment, from there to the meeting, and then home all on electric. I think it's about 50 miles total.

ColoradoCrow and Zythryn like this.
  18. Louis19

Louis19 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Upgrade
    Does the Bolt offer a choice of charging current like the prime i.e a selection of 8amp or Max for charging.I remember you did a test for me and the results indicated that at 240 volts the 8 amp setting was active, limitting the current draw from the panel.
    So if the choice of charging current is offered on the Bolt you could maybe not need to do a rewiring :notworthy:
    Post update
    hummm just read that the Bolt has a 7.2KW on board charger.......so reducing won't do it .The prime has a 3.3KW on board charger...rewiring is in order:(

#18 Louis19, Sep 11, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2022
    jerrymildred likes this.
  19. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yup. Just finished. I need to re-do the energy meter I installed to make it more solid, but it works for now.

On the Prime, you could select 8A or 12A for level one. Level 2 is only 16A.

On the Bolt, you can select either 8A or 12A on L1 like the Prime, but every time I change it to 12, it goes back to 8 when I look at the setting again. I have not tried using the supplied L1 EVSE plug. Level 2 is 32A only. So I used a NEMA 14-50 receptacle and #8 wires. But only a 40A breaker because that was the biggest they had that would fit my ancient C&H breaker panel. And that's about perfect for a 32A load anyway.

Also, the new outlet is on the other side of the garage since the Bolt's port is on the opposite corner of the car from the Prime. Much closer to the breaker box, which is nice at over $1/foot for #8 THHN.

It sure does charge faster than the Prime on L2!

Edit to add that the wife took the Bolt to a bridal shower this afternoon. It was 45 miles round trip on 45-50 mph roads. She got 5.1 m/kWh. It was pouring rain part of the way. That's Prime country!! I'll be driving about 50 miles or more tomorrow. I'll see what I get. :D

Tideland Prius likes this.
  20. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Looking through the warrant booklet, I found something better than what Toyota offers for the Prime:
    Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 8.19.00 PM.png

jzchen, ColoradoCrow and Merkey like this.