1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2022 Bolt EUV Initial impressions

Discussion in 'GM Hybrids and EVs' started by jerrymildred, Sep 10, 2022.

1. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    That was what I found most disturbing. It was the only thing I strongly disliked about my Prius.

Merkey likes this.
  2. Bill Norton

Bill Norton Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    1. OK, you're right. I did not understand this part.
    2. "turn off regen" and use just the old school friction brakes.... How very low tech...(n)
    Just so you can drive like a normal person...
    3. I've owned a two gen1 Insights, several gen3 Prii, a Volt and a Bolt.
    I don't understand, again... I did not adopt in any way driving those cars with Blended Brakes.
    There is a Go and a Stop Pedal. And a Coast function, at no extra cost!
    In fact, I think the Prius has the best Coast of them all.
    It really free wheels! And this probably adds to the efficiency!

Yep, don't all hybrids/EV's do this?

Yep, there is that hiccup when the drive wheels slip for a moment and ABS begins by canceling regen. Every hybrid and EV I had did this.

Wouldn't a RWD tesla do the exact same thing when you hit a bump or patch of ice with strong regen working?

All I'm saying is you have a choice in how to drive most Hybrid/EV's with regard to '1 Pedal' driving style.

But then tesla went their own way and they don't have the technology of Blended Brakes.
    And thus, they force this new driving style on their customers.
    That's all. Some love it. Some don't.(y)

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    18 years with hybrids, i don't notice anything. never did really, even from the beginning. maybe the brake thing on a rough surface at transition speed, but i've had non hybrids do similar.

Bill Norton likes this.
  4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Tesla does have blended brake technology. They just don't use it in the way everyone else does.
    There are things you have to get use to, but there are things to get use to on any new car. They all have a different feel to the steering, braking, accelerator, shifting, etc. Don't like something, don't get that car. Tesla is no more forcing someone to use one pedal driving, as a company with manual transmission cars is forcing people to learn how to shift.

Zythryn likes this.
  5. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    No, with the Tesla it is seemless, there is no noticeable ‘hiccup’.
    I found that hiccup very unsettling.

I agree that different people will have different preferences, there is nothing wrong with that.

What I do have trouble is when you make statements that are belittling or simply wrong about the other style.
    That method is not “forced” on their customers. You actually acknowledged that in this very post where you made a snarky comment about:
    So you complain about the ‘low tech’ setting, and then claim people don’t have the option?

6. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Me neither. But with it on auto and the temp set well below ambient, it occasionally blows warm air. On the energy details page, it shows about half the hit from climate control on AC compared to auto in similar temperatures ant at similar speeds.

That's exactly what I do now. Much more efficient.

Since switching to AC from Auto, my efficiency has show a modest improvement.

Today I drove to Plant City to get the windows tinted. Here's the display when I got home. That 4.7 m/kWh isn't for the whole 100 miles. It's more of a short term average. I haven't discovered a way to measure efficiency on a trip like the Prius does. That's one area where the Bolt seems lacking; economy records. It has some stuff the Prime lacks, but the Prime has a lot that the Bolt lacks. But I know I did better than the car expected. I started with 270 miles on the GOM. After 100 miles, it read 181 to go rather than 170.

IMG_5501 Large.jpeg

7. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you talking about the graphs under Energy Information?

8. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Are you sure the warm air coming out is being heated, and not just ambient outside air?
    With the Auto selection, is the cabin recirculate on? How about with the AC?

9. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Blended Brakes means the Brake Pedal controls regen up to the max, then, friction brakes blend in.
    The way I see it Tesla has an Old School Brake Pedal, correct?
    Have you even driven any new BEV's recently?

I am not complaining, just countering the fanbois.
    Yes, Tesla gives you the option of not driving 1 Pedal, but you must sacrifice getting regen and the Old School Brakes get used more. I consider that approach Low Tech. What do you call it?

I won't comment on how a RWD tesla handles a patch of ice while in strong regen or acceleration.
    I'm sure it's seemless....:whistle:

Sorry to upset you guys. I'm sure Tesla's are great.
    But they cost 2 to 3 times what another +250 mile range EV can cost.

10. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I drove a RWD Model 3 through MN winters on the strong regen. Yes, it was seemless.

Bill Norton likes this.
  11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Or at least seamed that way.

dbstoo likes this.
  12. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Fair point, I am sure any abs or traction control adjustments were not literally instantaneous. They were fast enough that I couldn’t perceive any change in the behavior of the car.

13. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Never driven a BEV.
    Have you driven any Tesla long enough to fully explore all the available driver options?

As for your definition, tying blended brakes to the brake pedal is your fabrication. Cars have had foot off accelerator braking from the engine for as long as there has been cars. Combined with a multispeed transmission, and you can generate enough braking force that the brake lights should be coming on. The brake is not the sole source of braking in a car, and neither is it the sole source for blended braking.

Dynamic braking, which regen is a subset of, has been used on trains for decades before cars had it. They also make use blended braking.

"Braking system, blended means a braking system where the primary brake and one or more secondary brakes are automatically combined to stop the train. If the secondary brakes are unavailable, the blended brake uses the primary brake alone to stop the train."
    49 CFR § 238.5 - Definitions. | CFR | US Law | LII / Legal Information Institute

"Although blended braking combines both dynamic and air braking, the resulting braking force is designed to be the same as the air brakes on their own provide. This is achieved by maximizing the dynamic brake portion, and automatically regulating the air brake portion, because the main purpose of dynamic braking is to reduce the amount of air braking required."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_braking#Blended_braking

Neither of those sources specifies that blended braking has to be tied to the air(friction) brake or accelerator/dynamic brake control alone.

I followed Tesla because they the only viable option for sometime, but there things about the cars and company I didn't care for from the beginning. Now that there are more choices, I can choose not to go with Tesla.
    Does the Tesla actually work like you describe? Does the Bolt completely disable the foot off the accelerator regen when in D? One pedal off for a Tesla could still leave a decent amount of regen in operation. Since Teslas already have blended braking, having it work on the brake pedal too is just an OTA update away.

Until then, there are now choices for those that don't want one pedal driving. Which may not have been without Tesla's success.

Bill Norton likes this.
  14. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    OK, you win.
    Your references to the CFR's regarding trains has convinced me my simple definition of Blended Brakes in Hybrids/EV's ,,, is not like your definition.(n)

1. No. I did not play with the 'No Regen' option, or whatever it's called.
    I did test drive an MS and did a Ludicrous mode blast to 60 mph and giggled like a little girl!!:p
    2. No. There is a tad of Regen in D, foot off so that it feels like a Normal car. (My definition of Normal)
    A quick flick to N and it free wheels the way my Gen3 Prius feels in D.
    3. True. But since you and I have not tested this, it's just your speculation.
    I think the mode may be called 'Low Regen'.
    4. OK fanboi....;) They can do anything with OTA updates! (except maybe offer true Blended Brakes, [my definition])
    5. OK fanboi....;):whistle: Or maybe, other EV manufacturers thought it was silly to force a driver to Adopt to the '1 Pedal' driving style just to get the Regen that is available. Thus they have Blended Brakes, [my definition].

Sorry Jerry that your thread has devolved so....
    How's life with a long range BEV?
    Which spare tire/jack option did you go with? I still need to get that set up before my next EV Road Trip !!(y)

#54 Bill Norton, Sep 17, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2022
  15. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The logical fallacies are strong with this one :p

16. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Sorry Jerry.
    Sorry Zythryn.
    I tried to clearly state the parts I don't know.
    What other parts are false?
    As a Tesla owner you can correct those, for us Prius owners that are EV Curious!

17. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It is the assertion that Tesla forces people to use one pedal driving. Might as well state that Toyota forces people into uncomfortable seats, or use their lame infotainment. Or how different car makers force you to learn their controls. Don't like something about a car, then don't buy it.

18. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Ok, Ok, relax.
    'Force' is a strong word, I now realize. I apologize.

They give you the choice of 'Adopting' to '1 Pedal' or driving around burning the brakes like a old fashion Gasser.

Is that a better description? Is that factually correct? T owners???

Back on Topic:
    And the Bolt gives you Blended Brakes !
    And the choice to '1 Pedal, if you like !
    So you don't have to 'Assimilate'....:rolleyes: trigger trigger......

jerrymildred likes this.
  19. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not the graph page, the detail page.
    IMG_5502 Large.jpeg

It could have been ambient, but it was on recirc, so that would bring up another puzzle. I have auto set to recirc.

However, I tried auto today on a 40 mile round trip and it did great with the temp set to 77º. Maybe it was some freak combination of circumstances that made warm air come out.

The more I drive this thing and learn about it, the more I like it and the more the m/kWh go up.

I'm amazed at how efficient it is given the weight. My spare tire and jack arrived yesterday. I tested them to make sure everything worked. It did. But those wheels and tires are so heavy, I almost couldn't get the thing back on. :unsure: That's a lot of inertia to overcome. Yet, now that I've figured out a few things, it's becoming as efficient as the Prime was.

Edit to add: That 4.3 m.kWh lifetime average went up to 4.5 today. I think it was about 3.8 when we got it with 14 miles on it. It now has about 570 miles.

#59 jerrymildred, Sep 17, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2022
    Louis19, John321 and Bill Norton like this.
  20. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Jerry,
    My wife and I are considering a Bolt EUV Premium now as my commuter car... I'm 6'-0" and 190 lbs medium build. How roomy is it compared to a Prius? I can't find one to sit in nor the time to do so.......TIA

jerrymildred likes this.