1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2022 Bolt EUV Initial impressions

Discussion in 'GM Hybrids and EVs' started by jerrymildred, Sep 10, 2022.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The recirculate likely doesn't shut outside air off 100%. The Subaru will wait until warm outside air is blowing before turning the engine back on while autostopped. I'm guessing it was warmer out the first time you tried Auto. Maybe the AC system does a "pulse and coast" at times, and it was hot enough out to overwhelm the program.

2. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Not this?
    IMG_20220917_173322953_HDR.jpg IMG_20220917_173656534_HDR.jpg

3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wow. Those screens look very different from my history screen.
    IMG_5504 Large.jpeg

I usually go back & forth between this history screen and the details screen in my previous post.

That seems like a pretty plausible theory.

4. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Compared to the Prius, the front passenger space feels about the same. Being 5'-9" I can't speak to headroom for a six footer, but the reviews I've seen by testers who are six feet tall have no complaints. If you have to sit in the back, it's possible, but it's pretty close, but it actually has more leg room than the Prius in the back. I watched a ton of video reviews before I decided that the Bolt EUV was going to be a good fit for me and my wallet.

ColoradoCrow likes this.
  5. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Our vehicle has automatic climate control also. After many experiments and attempts at manual climate control and trying to out think the system we have surrendered to automatic temperature control that stays at 72 degrees year around. In our area with high humidity the automatic system performs very well al keeping the windshields from fogging up.

I will mention that the cabin air filter must be changed at least once a year as oddly enough this is the Achilles' heel of the system and affects automatic temperature control greatly if the air flow is compromised.

After 4 years and over 45,000 miles the automatic temperature control has me under submission. Ours is dual control and the wife does use her side controls to modify her automatic temperature control temperature as we march to different drummers in regards to the most comfortable temperature.

#65 John321, Sep 18, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2022
    jerrymildred likes this.
  6. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The top one is my 2017 Bolt, the bottom one is my 2015 Spark.

jerrymildred likes this.
  7. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    'Nuther impression or two after 15 days and with 936 miles on the clock. Or three or four impressions - however many it comes to. LOL!

It seems that there really is something to the "ABC" admonition I keep seeing on the chevybolt.org forum. What I've read is that the car will cool the battery even if not plugged, but it's much more aggressive about cooling if it is plugged in. Hot day today, Bolt parked in a very warm garage and not plugged in. We took a short drive to the drugstore. When we got home I didn't want to charge, but I wanted to plug it in to see what it would do. So I lowered the charge limit to 70% so I could wait till tomorrow to charge. (It's sitting at about 75% now.) Plugged it in and the battery cooling system fired right up along with the radiator fan. I popped the hood and got hit in the face with a blast of hot air. After 2-3 minutes it slowly wound down and finally stopped after maybe 5-10 minutes.

I guess there really is something to "always be connected." I can do that at home, but probably not while at work. Although I can charge at work, I can't leave it in that spot all day. And other destinations, I just can't plug in at all. But at least I can cool it quickly at home.

One very minor shortcoming is charging in the dark. The Prime has a little LED light in the charging port. If you plug in the Bolt in the dark, you might need to grab your cell phone or a flashlight. (But they do sell aftermarket lights for the charging port.)

Not so minor impression: I LOVE VENTILATED SEATS!!!!!

Longest trip so far - Yesterday we took it to a seafood place on the water about 60 miles north of here. Car did GREAT. It did take about 25 kWh to bring the battery back to 80%, which made me come up short on solar electricity production, but that's not an everyday kind of trip. The efficiency is surprisingly close to that of the Prime, but I'm doing a lot more EV miles now since I don't have that 25-30 mile limit anymore. It's incredibly freeing to be able to just jump in and go knowing that keeping it at 80% SOC keeps it ready to go anywhere I'm likely to go other than a vacation trip.

8. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Not cheap, but an illuminated charging port kit is available.

jerrymildred likes this.
  9. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, I mentioned that, but didn't include the fact that they are a little (lot?) expensive from what I've seen.

10. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Looks like the website is up to its old duplicate post tricks again.

11. Bill Norton

Bill Norton Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have a little stick-on LED light (with battery and switch) on the charge port door for those dark occasions.
    It's about the diameter of a quarter. I rarely use it....

12. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's pretty handy. I'll probably just swipe up on the screen of my Apple watch and touch the flashlight icon if needed. I'm sure it doesn't take a lot of light.

13. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    jerrymildred likes this.
  14. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Nice. I will save this info. I just need a simple BEV commuter car. Luggage and myself to and from the airport and some errands. My Wife’s Model Y will be the trip and hauling children around SUV. We need the 7 seater and not many 7 seater bEV options right now.

jerrymildred likes this.
  15. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That sure looks like a lot of work. I'll think I'll go this route and spend more time driving and less time hacking. :D https://www.chevybolt.org/threads/super-easy-charge-port-light.46109/post-767907

ColoradoCrow and Trollbait like this.
  16. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Now that I think about it, I doubt that I'll bother with a port light. I don't think it's likely I'll need to plug in in total darkness, and there's that bright orange DCFC cover there. I'll see how it goes.

Back to the evaluation. One thing I miss is the amazing data I got from the Prime combined with all the trip meters. The Bolt just has the one trip meter and then theres the "since last full charge" data. I like the Bolt's real time updates of kW being used, but it would be nice if it was shown in m/kW. The Prime showed the real time m/kWh, but only as a bouncing bar, not as numbers.

The efficiency has impressed me. Lifetime average shows 4.5 m/kWh. Friday we went down to Clearwater in the morning and then that afternoon I went over to Lutz. Total for the day was close to 90 miles on roads that are mostly 55 mph with lots and lots of stop lights. This thing got 5.1 m/kWh!! I don't think the Prime could have touched that under those driving conditions even if it had the EV range. It did help, though, that for almost the whole first half of the trip down, we didn't need air conditioning and just used the ventilated seats.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  17. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    How much coverage do the ventilated seats have? The Outback only seems to blow on the small of my back and upper butt. A little refreshing until my body adapts and ignores it.

jerrymildred likes this.
  18. ColoradoCrow

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I am especially interested in the chevy installing a Level 2 charger as incentive. Interesting numbers of energy used.
    Nice. I've heard of Lutz. A great recreation area that has relaxation and sunshine galore. Hope the weather is still warm and the Ian damage was not to bad.

jerrymildred likes this.
  19. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Coverage is great. Except for a couple inches on the seat and back where they meet, it goes top to bottom and front to back. And it's bolster to bolster. But, of course, there's no flow through the holes that I block with my bottom and back while sitting, but a nice little breeze passes around me and, if I lean ahead a little, the who back gets cooled.

Even so, I do find that I also tend to adapt and kind of wish for more, but it does seem to reduce the AC load. In a few months, maybe I'll get a chance to test the heated seats and steering wheel. OH! That reminds me. unlike my Prime, the outer rear seats are also heated. Mother-in-law will like that when she visits in January.

Lots of people opt for the L2 installation. It's not a blank check, so if you want it in a detached garage and your breaker panel is in the basement at the opposite end of the house, you'll probably have to chip in. I already had an L2 outlet, but it is only 30A. The L2 that comes with the EUV charges at 32A. So I put in my own 14-50 outlet and opted for the $500 worth of free EVgo charging. When I'll get to use it is anybody's guess. I did test it and it works.

I try to charge mostly in the daytime using the 16A EVSE since my solar panels can usually keep up with that and I use less of the utility's power. But if I need to charge in a hurry, or at night or when it's raining, I plug in the 32A EVSE and get it over with. That gives me roughly 25 miles per hour of range.

Trollbait likes this.
  20. ColoradoCrow

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    That all makes sense. My wife and I want to install solar panels and charge her car during the day as she works from home. But our HOA actually can stop us from installing them. Crazy..In colorado state state law protected you from that. BUt it seems in Kansas the HOA has more power. So im looking at a portable solution...Maybe an install that cant be seen. hmmm

jerrymildred likes this.