1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2022 North Atlantic Hurricane season

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by tochatihu, May 19, 2022.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Most of the boats I've seen in these aftermath photos are far from long range cruisers. The expenses are around that of a second car. Might as well ask why people didn't move all their cars out of harms way.

Boats moored in shallow water as their regular 'parking' spot instead of a slip aren't using anchors. Well maybe an anchor from a larger ship, but more likely it is something along the lines of a two to three 5 gallon buckets filled with concrete. An anchor typical to those boats isn't going to hold for a couple of days on the edge of a hurricane.

People evacuating have to pack up the essentials and irreplacables, batten up the home, maybe see to kids, pets, or others unable to leave on their own, and whatever last minute things they might have to take cars of. Now you are asking why they didn't take a day to move their boat, and it would take a day. Moving it out of the way of a hurricane is like having to move a car multiple hours away, and then having to get back without using the car. It is planning and time for something that is at the bottom of a household's immediate priorities for that event.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe we'll stop builing in places we shouldn't be, and then paying out insurance to rebuild, subsidized by those who choose not to build in those places, but i doubt it.

atlantic had a good piece on the problem: 671629

#82 bisco, Oct 3, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2022
  3. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think that was a good article.

Most people would agree the ocean coastline is beautiful - we would take vacations to specifically spend some time there for a week or so when the kids were younger.

Most rational people would also answer the question is it a good idea to build cities, homes dwellings etc near the ocean with a - no.

I think you could write a similar article on the Western United States Wildfires that occur like clockwork each year. What do we expect to happen during the drought months when we build homes right near huge forest - don't insists on proper firebreaks, don't insist on sufficient building codes to prevent fire damage - refuse to do controlled burns to help control forest undergrowth. It seems our answer is to scream wildfire emergency at the proper time each year while showing clip after clip on TV.

The human tragedy from these disasters is horrible but probably for many instances completely avoidable.

#83 John321, Oct 3, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2022
  4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I think that a general inability to protect both home and boat is a good point. Sometimes there would be enough people to handle both, but other times not.

Brief internet search suggests boat (damage or hull loss) insurance is optional, but apparently (???) not very expensive. I understand there is no federal backstop, as there is for house flood insurance. So the boat insurance industry might get shaken up this time. Might raise rates. might alter decision-making process for boat owners to flee form storm risk (or not) next time around.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    @John321 agreed, cali is a classic example of development gone wild.

half the city of boston was built on fill hundreds of years ago. nothing new under the sun.

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Not to mention refuse to slow down the increase in summer heat and drought length.

7. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Tropical storm Nicole may barely reach hurricane force by the time its center reaches Florida coast. For people who want hurricanes to hit the easternmost part of that state (you know who you are!) this is not going to meet your hopes for destruction. It may make the decision to leave Big New Rocket out of the garage look like a bad one.

Lots of rain will fall. Lots of palm fronds flapping about will be videoed. Stay in your high-rise condos*

*except for that one recently condemned. Don't stay there.

8. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  9. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Another "above average" year..... :LOL:

It's sorta like the kids in a Prairie Home Companion, huh?

10. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Told my wife 2 weeks ago if we take down the hurricane shutters now it almost garantee's another storm.

Sure enough.....

TS's are the worst down here. They drop crazy amounts of rain with huge raindrops. In the last 10 years only time we almost got flooded at my street/house was with a TS.

11. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    upload_2022-11-8_11-26-9.jpeg

(between thunderstorms......)

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm not leaving until january eleventh...

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i stand by my statement

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    do they ever predict less than normal, and get more?

15. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    There may be a tendency to avoid low predictions. Somebody who loses their boat could complain "you said I'd be safe" ... bad optics.

This departs from objective analysis of driving factors, so not really appropriate. I don't know i fit happens.

This year ((about 3 weeks remain in hurricane season) was overpredicted by all who put up numbers. We are supposed to learn from that and make underlying models work better. I think that La Nina lasted longer than anticipated, or that its suppressive effects have been underestimated. But somebody in the business may self critique later on.

More rain from TS than H is an interesting observation. I don't see how individual TS could haul more water than H, but they are much more numerous. So maybe that's it.

Following $100 bullion or so from H. Ian, lambasting predictions seems a bit misdirected. H. Fiona remained mostly offshore south of Puerto Rico and they still lost a lot. 2022 has not been a minor year for hurricane effects.

SLS rocket might get 'max Q' while still on the pad. That would be new.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  17. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  18. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    At the risk of repeating myself, the Map is interesting for the idea of Offshore Wind planned in Virginia.
    The plan is to build the largest turbines known to mankind, believe we are talking 12-15MW.

The latest update, there is some question with rapidly escalating costs, how many projects will go forward?
    But Virginia plans to go forward ASAP as the only state willing to put the rate-paying customers on the hook for the cost, no matter how high the cost. Recently an agreement was made that Dominion can only put 2/3rds or so of unexpected cost increases on the rate payers. Oh how nice.

#98 wjtracy, Nov 15, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2022
    bisco likes this.
  19. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That low cost, but I think that is only Nicole.

I have not heard the cost of Ian, but I have a request:
    exclude the cost of rich peoples boats, or make that a separate line item

20. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Define rich, and why stop at boats? Might has well include sports cars and vacation homes.