1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2022 Prime or Wait for 2023 yikes!

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by daisy555, Oct 1, 2022.

1. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Everyone…again,

I have been waiting for a 2022 Prime or Prius AWD XLE. Leaning towards the regular Prius due to larger cargo space and smaller touch screen but like the look of the Prime. I don’t have a place to plug in at home but do have access to some free chargers at libraries, beach, dealer (while running errands) etc. I commute about 100 miles round trip 3-4 times per week.

I just received a text stating that a silver 2022 Prime has my name on it and will be here by end of October. The moment I heard the news my anxiety kicked in. I was really hoping to see the specs on the 2023 models. I’m so afraid I’ll regret not waiting. Was hoping for higher mpg, smaller touch screen, better looking…etc.

I’m also wondering about tax credit option for 2023 since 2022 are done, right? This car is being purchased by a Virginia resident but dealership is in RI and title will be in my name (CT resident) so the incentive might not even work.

The fact that I felt dread instead of excitement is making me think I should wait but I’m also risking future repairs on my 2009 while I wait. I will need a new headlight soon, cat converter was just stolen 2 weeks ago. I just replaced 12 volt battery and left wheel bearing. From what I’ve read the 2023 could be another 6 month wait at least.

Any additional feedback greatly appreciated. If I was wealthy, I could simply go with the 2022 Prime and then trade it in for a 2023 regular Prius or Prime. I know this sounds like a luxury problem but I actually live on a limited income. This car is being purchased as inheritance.

Really appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks!
    Maria

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush

3. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was hoping you would see my post. : )

I was just reading that I could wait even longer than 6 months for a 2023. I guess especially if I only want silver.

I looked at the post showing how much cargo that can fit in the Prime. Not bad.

Pretty sure the dealer is annoyed with me now. Oh well.

TGrracie and bisco like this.
  4. pghyndman

pghyndman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Man Bisco, you read my mind. That is exactly what I thought while reading Maria's message.

TGrracie and bisco like this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's so hard to predict the future. afaik, there aren't any major changes to the 2023, it's not the next generation.
    some here say that rumors in japan show the chip shortage easing, production increasing, and etc. but who knows for sure.
    it's so hard to find a prius right now. if you like it, i would buy it. if you'd prefer the hybrid, i would wait.
    otoh, i doubt you wil have any significant problems with the 09 while waiting, and whatever you do invest should come back in a sale/trade

TGrracie and daisy555 like this.
  6. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think attempting to find charging stations is going to drive me nuts. Only plus being Prime having potentially better resale value if I ended up hating it.

Person buying me the car wants me to get a Subaru. I love the Crosstrek hybrid but the lower gas mileage would really bother me and not crazy about 2022 white and black seats.

Dealer sales texted saying they went after the Prime because they thought it was my 1st choice so I suppose there was an AWD Prius available too. : /

I can’t worry about the dealer getting pissed off, if I decline. This was probably the last allocation? I plan on purchasing from them either way. I would think someone else will snatch it up quickly. What was I thinking?!

#6 daisy555, Oct 1, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2022
    bisco likes this.
  7. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Something I’ve been overlooking. Repair and maintenance costs on the Prius AWD verses Prime. Headlights etc more expensive on Prime?

8. ct prius dedicated

ct prius dedicated Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I have a still running well 2007 prius. I love my car/ If you just sunk money into your 2009 why not wait? I wouldn't be going for a prime right now if I didn't have to give up my 2007 for my daughter to have for an internship up at college next semester. If you don't HAVE to have a car right now...and you have so many doubts....just pass the prime up and take your chances.

Salamander_King and daisy555 like this.
  9. ct prius dedicated

ct prius dedicated Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    One more thing...how about having a trusted mechanic go over your 2009 and see if it's sound? I did that last year with my 2007 before I decided to keep it rather than buying a prime. Now, here I am having to get a new car with much less rebate! But the rebate (Much reduced) won't be available to you now unless you had a signed contract and associated deposit prior to Biden signing in the new law...

daisy555 likes this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Should be the same: Prius AWD does NOT involve typical AWD components, it's just an electric motor at the rear wheels.

I'm with @bisco; in fact a bird-in-hand is worth three or four, with the current scarcities.

Prime storage capacity is compromised, and it has no spare. The version with gargantuan touch-screen in particular is a "mixed blessing", nixes the most buttons/knobs, requiring you to navigate menus for basic functions.

TGrracie and daisy555 like this.
  11. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Specs on the 2023 Prius models are nothing but speculation at this point. There has been some "leaked" info, but I would not rely on that information. I am sure there will be some improvement over the predecessor, but no price has been announced. So, again a lot of speculation to hope for the better.

The old fed tax credit would have applied regardless of where you bought and registered the car... but I am not sure if the old fed tax code still applies to the PP purchased after the Inflation Reducing Act (IRA) was enacted in mid-Aug. My understanding is that if you had put down a non-refundable downpayment and had a binding written purchase contract signed before the law was enacted, then old rules apply. If so, you will get 50% of the credit or $2751 instead of $4502 in your 2022 tax return if you have that much tax liability. But, if you did not have the binding contract signed, then my understanding is that Toyota vehicles no longer qualify for any tax credit for 2022 and beyond.

If you already spent a lot of money on your 2009, and it is still running OK, then it would be "cheaper" to maintain and drive your current vehicle than purchasing a new either 2022 or 2023 in this seller's market. But, if you can't wait for a few more years or how long ever it takes for the market to return to "normal", then buying 2022 PP, which you can now, may be better than waiting for the future ones to be available.

daisy555 likes this.
  12. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you so much for your feedback. I do have my 2009 regularly maintained. I will eventually need a right front wheel bearing. I suppose I should get hybrid battery checked.

I’ll have to compromise no matter what decision I make. Decisions are hard enough and even harder without being able to compare models side by side.

Prius AWD XLE
    Pros:
    Larger cargo space which I love
    AWD for snow
    less hideous touch screen

Cons:
    17 inch tires (changing to 15 expensive?)
    Slightly lower gas mileage than Prime when considering Prime will be mostly driven as hybrid

Prime XLE
    Pros:
    Ability to charge electric maybe once or twice a week
    Slightly higher gas mileage than AWD
    15 inch tires…less expensive
    Available now

Cons:
    Are repairs/replacement bulbs etc more expensive on Prime?
    Would insurance be higher on Prime than AWD?
    Hideous touch screen (I’m visually sensitive to intrusive technology)
    Lack of height in cargo area - will I be frustrated/unable to slide the cover over the things I regularly store in cargo space?
    Swoop in back that catches debris
    Lower ground clearance…every cm counts

Waiting for 2023:
    Cons:
    New generation can have unforeseen issues
    Wait time

Pros:
    Possible mpg increase in AWD version
    More sporty styling-yes / more sedan like-no
    Possible improvement in touch screen for Prime although 2023 Prime will not be new generation so maybe no changes.

Spelling this out to get some perspective. : }

i love my 2009 and not needing to worry so much about new car worries…scratches and dents. Waiting longer than 2023 could complicate the inheritance part of the purchase.

Thanks everyone for your time and feedback.

#12 daisy555, Oct 2, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2022
    bisco likes this.
  13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Someone posted here, about replacing his screen (part alone was around $5~6K USD...), due to it having been cracked. Eventually disclosed, it was cracked 'cus he punched it.

bisco and daisy555 like this.
  14. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks so much. I figured tax credits were done for this year. So new law is removing possible tax credits for Prius in future years?

15. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Correct, that is unless congress changes the law to allow non-North America-built EVs to be eligible for the new tax credit. Or Toyota somehow brings the manufacturing lines of EVs to North America. Right now as it stands, all Toyota EVs (PP, Rav4Prime, and bz4x) are built in Japan and do not qualify. Even if Toyota brings the final assembly lines to North America, there is also battery manufacturing requirement that will reduce the credit. But you never know what congress would decide to do after the midterm election. But the chance it gets better for the foreign EVs is slim at this point.

daisy555 likes this.
  16. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Lack of cargo space is grossly overblow. Never has that been a problem for us... and our only vehicles are both Prius Prime. Stuff you want to hide fits fine under the cover and you'd be surprised how much you can squeeze in with the seats dropped. Our largest loud ever was a bulky cat tree. It didn't pass through the hatch opening, but slid right it through the side door. We carried a baby crib in back. Oddly, I have transported 3 different lawn mowers in back too. Trips to the compost have been easy too.

As for this generation of Prime, don't buy one unless it's a great fit for your current need. For us, we could charge at work, so the range was just fine. EV both directions for commuting is awesome. The next-gen will offer more in terms of both range & cargo. There's simply no way Toyota would go forward with Prius Prime not upgrading those aspects. There's no promise on pricing or how painfully long the delivery wait will be. But even for us, it is a natural fit for next step. She'll upgrade to a next-gen Prime and I'll get a bZ4X.

#16 john1701a, Oct 2, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2022
    daisy555 likes this.
  17. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Sounds like unfortunate timing of your 2022 Prime arrival vs. potential 2023 announcements. Personally, I'm holding out for 2023 announcements as I think everything will be more refined in the Gen5, with slightly more efficiency, than Gen4. We don't need a vehicle right away though...so it's not a big deal for us to wait. (y)

daisy555 likes this.
  18. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Right…and I think if I had to make decision today I really should be getting the AWD with bigger cargo space.

farmecologist likes this.
  19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    awd only comes with 17" wheels?

how many miles on your car?

20. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    200,000 any day now. Chances are I can make it through another year but Murphy’s Law often gets me.

Why miss out on cargo space, a little AWD help on snowy days and neutral looking dash board in exchange for 25 electric miles. I’m also concerned I’ll be driving myself nuts trying to take advantage of the very limited charging stations and wasting a lot of time.

Trollbait and bisco like this.