1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2022 Prime or Wait for 2023 yikes!

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by daisy555, Oct 1, 2022.

1. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    But isn't "titanium glow" gold, @pghyndman? ;) Your Mercedes look gold, too (no pun intended).

pghyndman likes this.
  2. prius16

prius16 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Black cars can be harder to see at night.
    However, that is what lights, and the required reflectors are for. :)

As for the BS statistics, that is exactly why those "studies" are 100% worthless.
    They do not show cause and effect.
    Those studies don't analyze the real and actual accidents, just the reported accidents.
    Maybe, every person that drives a black car is mentally deranged? And, their deranged and damaged mind couldn't handle any car color other than black????

There is no such thing as a "silver car", nor "red car", nor "black car".
    In regards to human color perception :), those articles are 100% pure BS.
    Human vision is much more sensitive to movement and change.
    Just remember, if a T-Rex is chasing you, just stand still. They won't be able to see you. :)

A moving vehicle reflects light in many ranges.
    Any non-stationary light on a stationary vehicle reflects light in many ranges.
    Stationary light on a stationary vehicle also reflects light in many ranges.

In computer vision, for many decades, there have been many people/papers in dual/multiple majors (biology, computer engineering, electrical engineering, etc).
    (Btw, it also semi-relates to why Tesla vehicles in self-driving mode, just drive full speed into trucks that are stalled, and horizontal across a lane. Another important fact, is the so-so cameras used.)

As famous New Englander said: "There are three types of lies: lies, damn lies and statistics." ;-)

ThereAreThreeTypesOfLies_Lies_DamnLies_AndStatistics.jpg

Many of the Prius Prime colors are "Metallic".
    "Metallic" colors vary.

For many reasons, I love the Metallic Gray.
    One reason, is because it's the most "Metallic" of the the Prius Prime "Metallic" colors.
    In general, "Metallic" colors have real metallic flacks in the paint. That makes it more difficult to paint and to have a top-quality paint. However, it reflects light more, and at various angles.
    Some people prefer the standard "Gloss" paint look.
    Some people, like me, prefer the "Metallic" look.

Fwiw, for Prius colors, I strongly suggest that people get close (1-2 feet) to a clean Prius of that color, in good daylight, and check out the real color. Imho, just walking by the car in a parking lot, isn't a good indication.

The first time I saw a clean Red Prius Prime up close, I was surprised. Imho, it's a very nice color!
    Imho, with the body side moldings, it may even kinda/sorta/maybe beat my Metallic Gray.
    Fwiw, body side moldings are a dealer-installable option. And, surprisingly, not expensive.

Extra Credit: Why exactly do the body side moldings make the Red Prius Prime look "so much better" from a design, and artistic view point?
    Extra extra credit: Why Red, and not so much the other colors? :)

#102 prius16, Oct 9, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2022
  3. primeobjective

primeobjective Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    My family and I were discussing car colors over some time, as we agreed that the Lexus RX looked good--or not--in the darker metallic red. My wife's Gen2 RX330 just didn't look good in that color. However the more angular Gen4 does. We couldn't put a finger on why we found this to be true for us, but it just does.

We agreed that, to us, there's some effect of the body's shape that made the color make or break. For that reason, it may be that for the Prius in red, the addition of the body side moulding adds some sort of styling element that makes the color work.

daisy555 likes this.
  4. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    : ) I’m noticing I’m pretty sensitive to color. Some cars/SUVs look great in one color and not in another depending on style and shape.

My cousin put in an order for an AWD Toyota RAV hybrid and then took whatever color appeared without test driving it. Can’t believe we are related. : /

You have some nice looking cars!

#104 daisy555, Oct 9, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2022
    pghyndman likes this.
  5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hypersonic Red and Supersonic Red are 3-coat paints. They comprise of a base red paint, a titanium reflective layer and then the clearcoat on top. This is why the red looks different depending on lighting and viewing angle - it depends whether you’re only seeing the base red or the base red and the reflective layer.

Yes. The red up close is really nice. At the right angle, it gives a deep red lustre.

Gokhan likes this.
  6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The rumored possibilities seem possible to me, but as a MY2023, it seems unlikely. The gen4 Vegas reveal was Sept 15, and it went on sale in Japan in December. I would think marketing would be at least teasing things for a redesign by now.

Gold was listed as a safe color, mainly because it is uncommon. They is probably for real gold. The golds available now look more like a tan.
    The actual studies disclose their limitations.
    The three times difference between tradition red fire trucks and the high vis colors is too big to be explained by other factors.
    The difficulty of the human eye to see red in peripheral vision is a real thing. A red car and greenery behind it can look the same then.
    Red-green color discrimination in peripheral vision - PubMed

Low vis grey is a real paint color used by the Navy on ships and aircraft. It wasn't chosen for aesthetics. The silver used on cars can be really close to it.

Studies like these, and in house ones, are what insurance companies use to adjust rates. They don't ask for your car's color just because.

Daylight running lights can help with some of the drawbacks some paints, but raises another issue. Drivers forgetting to turn on headlights at night. So they are driving around, using headlights at half power, and no tail lights on, in the dark.

Should other drivers be getting close to see them?

7. pghyndman

pghyndman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    "All cats are gray in the dark"... and, alas, on my registrations the DMV lists each simply as gray.

Gokhan likes this.
  8. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Cats don't have a great color vision.

The blue magnetism (aka spirited aqua metallic) appears like a colored car in a black & white or sepia world (for example see your profile picture). I don't know how it's seen by the cat's eye though.

9. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Hypersonic red and supersonic red are nowhere as great as the amazing Mazda soul-red crystal metallic though. Every time I see it, the beauty of the paint job shocks me.

Motion-capture sensors create Mazda's soul-red crystal metallic paint process on the Mazda6 and more—Kristin V. Shaw

daisy555 and Tideland Prius like this.
  10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Gokhan likes this.
  11. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just saw a video highlighting the 2023 Corolla Cross Hybrid. If I didn’t need 50mpg, I would skip over the Prius. I love little SUV’s.

Gokhan likes this.
  12. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Perhaps you need an EV?

13. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don’t have a place to plug it in. : (

Gokhan likes this.
  14. pghyndman

pghyndman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    That's a shame.

I see you're located in Connecticut (as am I) which, along with local utilities has really good rebates going on. We just got a check for $1100 for installing a Level 2 ChargePoint and $200 credit each year for using Eversource connected solutions WiFi program.. After the install cost we actually made money and charge the car in less than 1/2 the time of Level 1. ​

daisy555 and Gokhan like this.
  15. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Unfortunately, most local and federal charging-infrastructure credits have expired. I'm not sure why Biden didn't reintroduce them in his "inflation" bill. :(

However, there is a 30% discount for installations in 2023 or later if your area is low-income.

Alternative-fuels data center: Alternative-fuel infrastructure tax credit

daisy555 likes this.
  16. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The IRA did reintroduce them, you linked to it.;)

26 USC 30C: Alternative fuel vehicle refueling property credit
    26 U.S. Code § 30C - Alternative fuel vehicle refueling property credit | U.S. Code | US Law | LII / Legal Information Institute
    Alternative Vehicle Refueling Property Credit Limited Under Democrats Bill
    The last has a link to a mapping tool of eligible areas.

Gokhan likes this.
  17. pghyndman

pghyndman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Gokhan likes this.
  18. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I fall in a yellow area, which makes me eligible. Interestingly, the few city blocks in my old Westside neighborhood that I used to live in also fall in a yellow area, even though they are renting my old one-bedroom apartment for ~ $3,500 now after it was renovated.

19. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That's over twice my mortgage, and I'm not eligible. What is poverty level is relative to location.

Gokhan likes this.
  20. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Well, I'm glad I bought my current place because that's also over twice my mortgage.