1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2022 Prius Prime ordered

Discussion in 'Prime Fuel Economy & EV Range' started by SavDaPlanet, Jun 8, 2022.

1. SavDaPlanet

SavDaPlanet New Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    I just ordered a Prius prime 2022. What’s the best way to get the most out of this car in fuel savings. Work is 25Kms. One way. I’m driving everyday 5 days a week. Thanks in advance.

#1 SavDaPlanet, Jun 8, 2022
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2022
  2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello and welcome to PriusChat! What's your commute like? 25km in city driving? 25km on the highway? a blend of the two? Can you charge at work? Do you live somewhere cold? (e.g. Prairies or northern Ontario?)

3. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Convince your employer to install some free charging stations for employee use if not already done. If they already exist, use them.

MTN and Tideland Prius like this.
  4. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Even only at 110V, 3 hours gets you about 50-60% of the charge back, no need to wait for the full 5h10m (so yes you'll use some gas on the way back but at least it's partially covered in EV)

MTN, Louis19 and schja01 like this.
  5. SavDaPlanet

SavDaPlanet New Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    Work commute is 85% highway. Southern Ontario, so winter season for sure. Work does not have any charging stations. I can maybe plug it in the building if they would let me. That means I’ll be needing a 50ft. extension cord at least. Is that ok to use? How did they arrived at 133 MPGe? Can someone explain this to me. Thanks .

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oof. Ok. You might get 30km in the summer. But I’d probably do a blend. Use EV on city streets and switch to hybrid on the highway. This way, you maximize the EV efficiency at low speeds and the engine’s efficiency at higher speeds. Given that you can’t charge at work, this means you could potentially use EV both ways by saving it for the city streets only. You’ll have to experiment once you get the cat so you can figure out when you use EV to maximise it and arrive at home with 0% or close to it.

That’s a combined rating of 15.8kWh/100km city/hwy in EV mode converted into mpge. The Le/100km (equivalent litres per 100k) is 1.8Le/100km. The hybrid efficiency is 4.5L/100km combined.

7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh and an extension cord isn’t recommended but if you do, make sure it’s rated for at least 16A.

8. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    12AWG should handle it safely.

9. SavDaPlanet

SavDaPlanet New Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    Work commute is 85% highway. Southern Ontario, so winter season for sure. Work does not have any charging stations. I can maybe plug it in the building if they would let me. That means I’ll be needing a 50ft. extension cord at least. Is that ok to use?

10. Louis19

Louis19 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Upgrade
    Tideland Prius advice is very helpfull , and it will help you experiment , I also advice you to adopt 100Km /h as your highway speed ..going faster will drain the battery faster.Terrain elevation will also play a role in distance covered .As an example I do Laval to ST Sauveur in the laurentians only on highway speed . In one direction on EV i get 43.5 KM range and in the opposite direction I get 32 km .You will experiment and blending HV and EV will pay off. Since I removed my snow tires i have driven 2300 Km and I have 0.8L/100Km gas usage.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  11. SavDaPlanet

SavDaPlanet New Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I’ll be posting more questions in the future. It’s my very first Hybrid Plug in.

bisco likes this.