1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2022 Prius XLE - sensor sensitivity

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Pettifog, Aug 18, 2022.

1. Pettifog

Pettifog Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    I bought a 2022 Prius XLE AWD-e in May, and I'm still figuring things out. One thing I've noticed is that the sensors don't seem to be very sensitive. When I'm pulling out of a parking space, the car doesn't beep until passing cars/pedestrians are on top of me. When I'm backing up, the car doesn't beep until I'm very close to the car behind me. No matter how slowly I'm going, I often have to slam on the brakes. I've never heard it beep when pedestrians are about to cross in front. Are others having the same experience? Does anyone know whether there's a way to change the sensitivity level? I haven't been able to find anything about it in the user's manual.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    upload_2022-8-17_23-45-26.png

It's a dealer-adjustable setting, unfortunately.

upload_2022-8-17_23-46-3.png

3. Pettifog

Pettifog Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Thanks for your response. (That information is on different page numbers in my manual, but it says the same thing.) However, this information seems to relate only to the Parking Assist sensor detection ranges, and not to the rear cross-traffic detection. I did find this, but it doesn't describe the way my car is actually behaving. Moreover, it states that it does not detect of vehicles behind you when you're backing up, which makes it tough when you're backing out of a space in a tight parking lot. I'm used to the sensor system on my 2017 Subaru Outback, which is outstanding -- it detects pedestrians as well as vehicles.
    Screen Shot 2022-08-18 at 3.51.37 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-18 at 3.56.26 AM.png

4. MIkeDr

MIkeDr Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Do a forum search for Carista. You buy a little OBD thing, and subscribe to the app for a month. Tons of things are changeable. I lowered the sensitivity of the sensors, and also have it so front parking sensor doesn’t work in neutral (convenient for automated car washes).

5. Pettifog

Pettifog Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Great idea! Thank you! I'm curious about why you lowered the sensitivity of the sensors. Doesn't that mean that you don't hear a beep until a car get very close to you, leaving you less time to react? Separate issue: Do you know if there's a sensor in the rear that beeps when you get too close to a car behind you while backing out of a space in a parking lot, for example?

6. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I have a ‘22 XLE Nightshade and if you get the Carista you can adjust a lot of things so it’s worth the effort. In addition, make sure all of the Safety Systems features are actually turned on (it is surprisingly easy for a new owner to accidentally disable something). Your manual will explain it.
    Believe it or not, the parking sensors and the BSM sensors, and the RCTA sensors, etc. are all the same sensors. I have mine set so if I’m backing out of my 80 foot driveway, at 10 feet from the street the RCTA system will pick up a car that approximately a (normal) car length on either side of the driveway. Your manual addresses the “seemingly” issue you perceive with it not alerting you to pedestrians. Adjust your sensitivity, and you should experience a more enjoyable ride.

#6 Doug McC, Aug 20, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2022
  7. MIkeDr

MIkeDr Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    I did changed the sensitivity of all the sensors due to the parking garage in our condo building. Getting into and out of the garage involves a very sharp turn from the alley, and I want to know when I’m “really close” and not just “close,” which I’ll always be.

Doug McC likes this.
  8. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    What level of sensitivity are you set at?

9. MIkeDr

MIkeDr Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    I’m at the lowest one, which still works well for me.

Doug McC likes this.