1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2023 2nd key fob ?

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by mrlarrys, May 13, 2023.

1. fsu23phd

fsu23phd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Congrats on the car, but I doubt you are getting a key in the mail (it needs to be programmed with your car present anyway), and it will be alot longer than 20 days, I'd guess 20 months if you get one. I'd get that in writing.

2. theRob

theRob Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Found this on 4runners.com forums

upload_2023-5-15_22-46-19.jpeg

Gokhan likes this.
  3. samsprius1

samsprius1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    This is from around the 1st of June!!!
    \

#23 samsprius1, Jun 19, 2023
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2023
  4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    That video says seven phases of new key deliveries starting now (51000 first phase) in order of original car deliveries with first group taken from last October 22 purchases.

Lasting through 2024 sometime. Will require receiving a specific letter about your key and a visit to the dealer to activate.

5. aforkosh

aforkosh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    There are some videos on YouTube discussing the 2nd keyfob situation. I've attached a screenshot from one that was just posted. The video gives examples of using the chart and also discusses the procedure for getting the fob:
    1) Receive a notice from Toyota that a fob is available for your VIN
    2) Contact a Toyota dealer (not necessarily the one who sold you the car) to have the fob shipped to them
    3) Once the fob is received, bring the car in to have the fob programmed.

In my case, I'm driving a Prius built in March or April 2023. So the schedule says that my fob should be available in the 4th quarter of this year. Toyota 2nd Key Fob Schedule.jpeg

theRob likes this.
  6. rick1201

rick1201 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Purchased a Gen 4 Prime on 12-29-22. Second FOB was supplied and programmed on 7-11-23.

Rick

TwoGeeks and bisco like this.
  7. wagodog

wagodog New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Picked up my Gen5 last week of June. Associate lease from headquarters. Last week or so, I saw a message pop up on the MID saying that a new key has been programed. Having the wife, the Toyota employee, check but wondering if this means we'll be able to get the 2nd key fob soon.

8. Chimera1978

Chimera1978 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I just received this from Toyota in an email when I asked them a question:

We genuinely apologize for any continued delay due to the global semiconductor shortage.

Manufacturers are facing a shortage of microchips for our Smart Key entry systems. Toyota will be delivering vehicles that were manufactured within a certain date range to dealers and customers with only one Smart Key. Toyota will contact owners by first-class mail advising when to return to an authorized Toyota dealership to receive your second key at no charge. Please note, you can go to any dealership. Barring no further delays, we anticipate providing impacted customers with their second Smart Key in late summer 2023.

tovli likes this.
  9. DecorahDave

DecorahDave Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Got my 2023 LE June 4th with metal key for second one.
    Called Toyota today and was told:
    1. Can't use Digital key on LE.
    2. Second key fob should be here late summer (didn't say what year).
    3. I'm going to see if I can purchase one from Toyota Dealer.

bisco likes this.
  10. aforkosh

aforkosh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Please check the entries 4 or 5 above yours in this thread for explanations of the 2nd fob situation.

daisy555 likes this.
  11. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Don’t purchase extra key fob unless you are desperate. Toyota has a sticker on all delivered cars stating they will be providing the second key at a later date.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you lose your fob, will toyota pay for a new one, towing, or whatever else is needed?

gggGary likes this.
  13. Will B

Will B Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Same here last week, only one keyfob but both mechanical keys. These folk told me 6-ish months, hopefully that is not the case. My wife and I share, so not a huge deal. I tried the "digital key" with my phone but am not impressed. Is it just me or is it normal for it to take 10-15 seconds to lock/unlock the car? Maybe I'm not doing it right. To be useful the phone would have to be as fast as the keyfob which is essentially instantaneous.

will

gggGary and TwoGeeks like this.
  14. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wondered how quickly the digital key responded. Surprised it’s not quicker.

15. aforkosh

aforkosh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Are you sure you are using the Digital Key (which must be set up from within the car)? If you are using the Digital Key, you will see Bluetooth symbols over the action buttons. However, if you don't see those symbols, you perform the functions via Remote Connect. The Digital Key communicates directly with the car from your phone, but Remote Connect sends its command via the phone's Internet connection to a Toyota server that authenticates it and then sends the command to the car. This will take a bit of time.

TwoGeeks, Trollbait and Will B like this.
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i wonder if we'll only get one fob with the 2024 hycam we have on order. dealer didn't say anything, and nothing in the contract

17. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dealer probably doesn’t know yet. All cars/SUVs that I’ve seen at local dealership have what looks like a factory sticker on the window explaining the key situation. Better than nothing I guess.

bisco likes this.
  18. Will B

Will B Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    I was definitely told (yea, nothing in writing) that a second keyfob will be coming. It is pretty obvious when they give you two mechanical keys and only one keyfob! :) If you get only one mechanical key, then maybe be a bit more worried!

will

19. Will B

Will B Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Aforkosh: Yep, that was it, I didn't pair correctly. I started the motions earlier, but clearly didn't finish the process and didn't realize it. It works almost exactly as the keyfob now. Is it just me or do you also lose the " I see you approaching" interior lighting that you get with the keyfob? Minor loss, but thought that was pretty cool getting the greeting just walking close to the car.

will

20. Will B

Will B Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    With my phone able to be a key, it was time for a few more experiments. It is bad enough if you lock your keys in the car, but if that key is your phone, it'd really be a bummer to have your phone locked up too. Toyota seems to have handled this well. Even though it is Bluetooth, they seem to have figured out the same proximity sensing as for the keyfob. If I try to lock the car with the outside handle touch or door armrest buttons with the phone inside the car and it gets quite grumpy and refuses to lock! Nice. There may be a way still, but at least the main ways are taken care of.

daisy555 likes this.