1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2023 2nd key fob ?

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by mrlarrys, May 13, 2023.

1. Will B

Will B Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Blizzard: I fiddled with the Bluetooth version of the Digital Key just to get a feel of it and it isn't that bad. One probably-good side effect is since it is treated as a keyfob, it won't let you lock your cellphone in the car! Good, but can be a bit confusing if you aren't used to it yet. I did leave my phone in the charger one trip and it took me a bit to figure out why my car kept yelling at me when I was trying to lock it in the lot. Finally realized I left my phone in the car and then all was good after that.

I am afraid to admit that so far when it comes to arguments with the car, the car is winning most of the time! :) If I'm getting yelled at, it has been for a legit reason most of the time!

gggGary and Blizzard_Persona like this.
  2. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Good info. Thx.

And thx for the chuckle. Haha.

3. aforkosh

aforkosh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    The digital key has a range setting. I had thought it was for the range for locking and unlocking the car, but it is actually for the range for starting the car. I had the range set to low, and the car would not start with the phone in my left front jeans pocket. If I put the phone on the console, there was no problem. I set the range to medium, and the car started with no problem. I suspect the low setting would have worked if the key were in my right front pocket.

4. purplePriii

purplePriii Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The bluetooth part is the one that is optional in models, right? I have an SE with the cellular part where I can lock/unlock, start the car, etc but can't seem to use my phone to act as the fob and drive off with the car.

5. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    You're correct. I was slightly off with the terminology in my earlier post. Sometime I forget which is which because I've got a Limited with both and don't see the differences on a regular basis.

Amending my previous post...

Remote Connect is the name of the cellular side. Digital Key is a subset of Remote Connect and deals with the Bluetooth side. Everyone can use the cellular side of things as long as they have a subscription or trial, but only those with Digital Key as an option can do the Bluetooth side.

So that means if you don't have Digital Key, you can use your phone to start the car(because cell can do that) but you won't be able to drive it(because it needs Bluetooth to act as a key).

purplePriii likes this.
  6. GeoJ

GeoJ Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Lots of helpful information in this thread, thank you to those who have posted about timeframe for key fob and the digital key. I am not usually someone who is paranoid about information tracking and privacy issues, but I am not all that keen on the level of data that Toyota collects if I use the "trial subscriptions" of connected services. Not really sure why, probably because I don't fully understand it. Just seems like a lot of information they collect, use and share.

So, all that said, I do like the idea of the digital key (which my car has) as a back up while I am working with one key fob (not going to buy another to cover this gap period). My car was built in March 2023 so I guess I should see second key fob around end of year (hopefully). My plan is to not activate any of the connected services unless I have a need due to losing the key I have. So really just use the digital key as an emergency backup plan. I assume it will be a real pain to figure it out and activate it if I need it, but prefer that to doing it all now given the low risk of actually losing the key fob I have. I will be paranoid and especially careful with my precious key fob between now and when the second one becomes available. And, don't forget, you can lose your phone too!

7. aforkosh

aforkosh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I have actually found Remote Connect, even without activating the Digital Key, to be quite useful. For example, the other day, I parked at a local transit station and had already passed through the fare gates when I got notified that I had not locked the car. It was then simple for me to lock it without running back down to the parking lot and back, possibly needing to pay multiple fares (or at least engage with the station agent) and miss my train.

gggGary likes this.
  8. BlueMagnet

BlueMagnet Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    Just picked up my car last week and dealer said my 2nd key fob won't be in until 2nd quarter of
    2024. So looks like a 6 month delay as of now.

Blizzard_Persona and bisco like this.
  9. GeoJ

GeoJ Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    This is the current party line on this issue, and pretty ridiculous in my opinion, when you consider that Toyota is the ONLY car manufacturer that has this issue - not even a date given - my patience is wearing thin:

"Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc and choosing Toyota for your driving needs. We genuinely apologize for any continued delay due to the global semiconductors shortage. Manufacturers are facing a shortage of microchips for our Smart Key entry systems. Toyota will be delivering vehicles that were manufactured within a certain date range to dealers and customers with only one Smart Key. Toyota will contact owners by first class mail advising when to return to the dealer to receive your second key at no charge. We apologize again, and continue to request for your patience."

bisco likes this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's interesting that our 2024 hycam came with 2 fobs. made in usa could be a reason?

11. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Could easily be the case with different local suppliers. Also sounds like it isn't an issue with the few cars without SKS.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    are there any left?

13. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    The Camry uses the older Type #2 smart key. The gen5 Prius uses the Type #3/#4. The Camry also dropped to 1 fob for awhile, but they had that fixed back in January(it must use a chip not in as short a supply).

Trollbait likes this.
  14. aforkosh

aforkosh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Latest Update:

HacksawMark and theRob like this.
  15. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE

Well that’s kind of a disappointment. No ETA for us…

16. theRob

theRob Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Well looks like I should be getting mine next month according to this video, if nothing changes. Fingers crossed.

17. theRob

theRob Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Well looks like I should be getting mine next month according to this video, if nothing changes. Fingers crossed.

18. GGD

GGD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I just got my second key fob yesterday. Never got directly notified by Toyota, but after reading this thread and watching the video above where he says to check the Toyota App, I did see that it was showing a Service Campaign for my car "call dealer", and since it was built in Feb, according to the chart I should have been in the Oct group. Called, they had parts order the fob, two days later it was delivered to them, but I had to make an appointment AND leave the car to get it programmed. They refused to even consider doing it with me waiting. They said that it had to be done by their only master mechanic, and sometimes they run into problems and need to get Toyota involved, so they can't predict turnaround time. After dropping it off they did complete it in about 3 hours.

One weirdness, every time I power on the car it displays a dashboard message notifying that a new key fob has been added. Not sure if that's normal and how long it will continue to display that.

#77 GGD, Oct 26, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2023
    theRob, Will B and Roqu3 like this.
  19. Argyros

Argyros Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Well, GGD, there's hope for the rest of us then! Congrats on the 2nd key fob!!

20. aforkosh

aforkosh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    As one who hopes to be notified in November, how did the notification show up in the app? Was it the Health & Alerts > Service Campaign tab or somewhere else?

21. GGD

GGD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Yes, that's exactly where it is. The icon to the left of Service Campaign turned red, and under the words Service Campaign it says "1 active service campaign". If you tap on that it shows the screen below.

And even after picking up the car/second fob, it still says that there's an active service campaign.

23TJ01 Second Key Delivery Program.PNG