1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2023 2nd key fob ?

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by mrlarrys, May 13, 2023.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hopefully goes away. If not I’d check with them, maybe some final step they missed.

2. Will B

Will B Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Thanks @GGD : FYI, I had something weird go on with my keyfob a week or so after I got the car where the car thought there was an unauthorized pairing. I took it in to get looked at since the message said contact your dealer. After confirming all was OK they said they couldn't clear the message but that it would automatically go away after a while. Shoor 'nuff, after a week or so the message stopped showing up and haven't seen it again. Something about security messages not being clearable on demand. Kinda see how that could be on purpose.

will (still waiting for my second keyfob but getting more hopeful!)

3. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    I also had the 'new keyfob added' message for about the first week after picking up my vehicle. Went away on its own.

(picked up after purchase, not after getting a second key - still waiting on that)

4. aforkosh

aforkosh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Page 109 of the Owners Manual:

■ If “A New Key has been Registered Contact Your Dealer for Details” is displayed on the multi-information display
    This message will be displayed each time the driver’s door is opened when the doors are unlocked from the outside for approximately 10 days after a new electronic key has been registered. If this message is displayed but you have not had a new electronic key registered, ask your Toyota dealer to check if an unknown electronic key (other than those in your possession) has been registered.

You get a similar message for digital keys.

I Throw 99 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  5. PhoS

PhoS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    I just got the 2nd fob service campaign notification as well.

6. PhoS

PhoS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Went and got the 2nd fob. Unexpected 2hr appointment , but it was at pretty busy dealer for the area.

7. Argyros

Argyros Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    No Notification for me yet-

8. GGD

GGD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I just received the mailed notification that my second key is available, a month after it appeared on the Toyota App, and 3 weeks after I received my second key.

And it was just addressed to my wife even though both of our names are on the title / registration.

9. thnok

thnok Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    double

#89 thnok, Nov 17, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2023
  10. thnok

thnok Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Anyone who picked up a Prius manufactured in March/Feb 2023 but pick up April mid 2023 got the second key notification?

11. jpm8766

jpm8766 New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Not sure of manufacture date, but it was on a boat in March and was picked up mid-April.

Received the notice, but getting the key has been a hassle.

<Warning: bad dealer rant>

Thanks to Toyota's use of the recall system, dealer is adamant that key fobs are "not stocked" and the only way to proceed is by waiting at least 2 weeks for them to 'order' the key (that is, they send the VIN into Toyota and get a free fob sent to them). Even though you have an appointment days ahead of time, they'll wait until the service appointment, after you've taken time off from work, to say 'oh, we can't do this service, we have to order the key and have you come back.' (Maybe you should have ordered the key in advance then? Or called me ahead of the appointment that it needs to be moved? Anything is preferable to wasting my time. That would require someone actually think ahead though.)

When pressed why they waited until the service appointment to come to that conclusion, you'll get no response. When pressed "Why can't you just get a key from the back? It's a stocked item," they'll double down saying it's not stocked, they just don't have keys to do that. When further pressed with "I have $300 cash right now to buy a key, will you sell me one?" They'll go silent because they don't want to lose that potential sale, but they've also just gotten through lying to you about the fobs. They do have them, they just aren't willing to tie one up to wait for the 'recall' key to arrive.

Inconvenience the customer over having to tie up a fob for a week, it is a sure-fire way to build loyalty to your dealership's service department.

<end rant>

Toyota really should have given compatible vehicles an extra year of phone-as-a-key for the inconvenience.

thnok likes this.
  12. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Today you can file a complaint with corporate while standing in front of them.

13. jpm8766

jpm8766 New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    I don't want to go further off topic, but this is the same dealer that claimed they never received the MSO (Manufacturer's Statement of Origin) from Toyota necessary to get a title for the car, delaying my delivery a week. They eventually found it (turns out they'd misplaced it in their office and had it the whole time). The biggest issue was they emailed me (not even a phone call) at 10AM the day of delivery (expected to happen at noon) to notify me that they couldn't do delivery because of the misplaced MSO. Wouldn't be the end of the world except they changed over my insurance on my behalf at 9AM that day, apparently before they even determined they couldn't give me that car. They also activated all the various trial services on my behalf for a car I couldn't even use.

Complaints to mothership didn't result in anything then (despite the impropriety of activating services in my name without my consent), and I don't expect they will now either.

14. theRob

theRob Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Mine is manufactured in March. Picked up my Prius mid April. Still have not received the notification yet.

thnok likes this.
  15. apezam1

apezam1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Got 2nd key. Took 1 hour and 1/2 appointment. Car was purchased in April 23

#95 apezam1, Nov 17, 2023
  16. jeremnyc

jeremnyc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OMG, I too have a dealer that lost the MCO, but it has been 20 days in my case. Unacceptable and I'm looking into my course of action.

17. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It took ten months to get a second fob on my RAV4. Even then it appeared as an Alert inside the Toyota app a month before a letter arrived.

I would get the app and monitor the alerts on it, not email or phone messages.

IMG_3541.jpeg

There is a projected schedule from Toyota that has been posted reflecting relatively accurate timeframes.

Based on that, I would guess late Dec or January. When you get a notice, most dealers will still have to order the fob (another week max) and schedule an appointment to configure your car. Be sure to ask if they have the fob if they simply schedule a quick appointment. As always service advisers and schedulers are not always on top of things.

#96 rjparker, Nov 17, 2023
    theRob likes this.
  18. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    But pulling out the phone and calling the comment line right then and there might have been worth the look on their face.

19. aforkosh

aforkosh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    The videos that Toyota dealer folks (Steve Clifford and Steve Welch) have posted on YouTube made absolutely clear that the key cannot be ordered until you receive a notice (online or via mail) and notify a Toyota dealer (not necessarily the one you purchased the car from) to order the key for your VIN. The keys are NOT from stock. How the dealer handles it from there is up in the air. However, it is clear that you cannot get the notice and run down to a dealer to get the key.

20. jpm8766

jpm8766 New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    I have the notice. I made an appointment 2 weeks in advance. They didn’t order a key and then told me they couldn’t pull one from stock either. So I agree it isn’t from stock ordinarily, but I expected them to make up for their failure. Can’t fix a bad dealer with a lack-of-service department.

21. jeremnyc

jeremnyc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When it's key time, can you go to any dealer or are we stuck with original dealer?