1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2023 2nd key fob ?

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by mrlarrys, May 13, 2023.

1. theRob

theRob Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    what month was your car manufactured?

2. GGD

GGD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    You can go to any dealer, all my service appointments are with the dealer closest to me even though I purchased it from a different dealer.

The process that I followed was, when the app showed the service campaign, I called the dealer, and first spoke with the parts department, they ordered the key fob based on my VIN and the service campaign. It was a Monday and they said it would take a few days to arrive, and to check back later in the week. I called on Wed to check status, they said it just arrived and they were about to call me, and then connected me with Service to make an appointment. Service said it can be done in one day with an appointment but could not be a "while you wait". The actual service appointment wasn't scheduled until everyone involved knew that the key fob was in the dealer's possession, and it really needs to be done this way because Toyota allocated the part to your VIN and the dealer that's going to program it needs to request it from Toyota on your behalf.

My Prius was manufactured in Feb, you can find the month on one of the stickers in the driver's door jamb, and the key notice showed on the app in mid-October.

otatrant, thnok and jeremnyc like this.
  3. thnok

thnok Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    on the Toyota app, where did it show up? Is it under the service and recalls section?

4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Service Campaigns

thnok likes this.
  5. aforkosh

aforkosh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    According to the black sticker on my front door frame, my Prius was built in March 2023 and is thus included in Phase 4 of the 2nd Key Fob program.

On Tuesday afternoon, this video indicated that Phase 4 had started. At about 3:15pm (PST), I saw a notice in my Toyota app that directed me to the Health & Alerts (service campaigns) button. Following the breadcrumbs, I eventually got to the actual notice (attached). I called my local dealer (not the dealer that sold me the car). The parts guy said he would put in the order, and the blank fob should be available for programming on Friday. He took my phone number, and we agreed to set an appointment after it arrives.

IMG_1301.jpeg

Sarge and GeoJ like this.
  6. GeoJ

GeoJ Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Same for me, March 2023 build and with the extremely helpful post @aforkosh I am alerted to the key fob "remedy" being available.

Sarge likes this.
  7. theRob

theRob Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Just got my notification today. My vehicle was manufactured in March.

8. flim

flim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    I also received my notification but I thought the 2023 Prius Prime will not be available until later.

9. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE

We just picked up my wife’s brand new ruby flare pearl 2024 RAV4 Hybrid XLE premium a week or so ago and it had 2 key fobs also….

Still no 2nd fob for my XSE Prime though :(

Does anyone have the updated chart for when the Fob’s will be available? The video seemed convoluted or maybe I just misunderstood it.

bisco likes this.
  10. Blizzard_Persona

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
  11. flim

flim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Maybe you can just based it on your manufactured date. Mine was 03/2023 and add approx 8 months before you get a notification.

#111 flim, Nov 24, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2023
    Blizzard_Persona likes this.
  12. Blizzard_Persona

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Thank you, that does make it easier to decipher. I appreciate it.

13. thnok

thnok Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Same day and got notification. Just called the dealership parts dept about it and waiting a call back until they get the key. I made a mistake before calling service, but thanks to this post called Parts first and asked for it. It needs to be ordered in so make sure you first call parts before scheduling appointment.

14. flim

flim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    I decided to call myToyota dealer again yesterday after I made the appointment last week. I specifically asked for the parts department and it was confirmed my 2nd key fob was ordered last week. However, there was a system failure with my order when it was processed to be mailed out.

Everything checked out as far as being eligible for a 2nd key fob. Just waiting for my dealer to sort this out with Toyota to figure out the problem!

#114 flim, Nov 28, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2023
    thnok likes this.
  15. aforkosh

aforkosh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    To continue the saga:

I didn't receive a call on Friday (11/24) or Monday (11/27), so I called the dealership on Tuesday. (11/28) I was told the key was in and made an appointment to have it programmed today (11/29). I came in, and after about 90 minutes, I had my 2nd fob.

flim and otatrant like this.
  16. Gwyd

Gwyd Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Mine was manufactured in June and picked up in July. I got the notice last week and texted my salesperson, who talked to the service manager and got the key ordered.

It seems that not all dealerships require a full day to program it, I'm hoping I can just wait and hour or two and get it done.

otatrant likes this.
  17. theRob

theRob Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Here is my timeline and details. Got my notification last week (11/22). I first called the parts department and was told that I need to speak to a service advisor. So I called on Monday (11/27). Spoke to a service advisor which informed that I first I need to bring in the car so they can place the order for the 2nd key fob. I scheduled an appointment for the next day (11/28) and had the key fob ordered. Then got a call on Wednesday (11/29) saying they got the 2nd key fob already. I scheduled an appointment for today (11/30) and I’m currently waiting for them to program my 2nd fob.

I also was not told I could not wait. I had the option to wait. They said it would take about 2 hours.

#117 theRob, Nov 30, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2023
  18. flim

flim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    My issue remains unresolved today. The dealer was frustrated with Toyota when he got an email and was given the mechanical key cut code and they closed the ticket! He actually told me he didn’t need Toyota to give the dealer a mechanical key cut code!

The parts guy was furious that Toyota didn’t even know that the campaign was for the Smart key and not the mechanical key and it was also stated in the campaign that I already received one Smart key and a second mechanical key!

19. aforkosh

aforkosh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited

20. aforkosh

aforkosh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    One further note:
    The flag in the Health and Safety section of the Toyota mobile app was cleared overnight. It was still there yesterday evening but is not there today.