1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2023 2nd key fob ?

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by mrlarrys, May 13, 2023.

1. GeoJ

GeoJ Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    My key is at the dealer and appointment scheduled next week. I was told it would take an hour and 15 minutes.

Sarge and otatrant like this.
  2. GeoJ

GeoJ Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Got my second key fob today. Dealer said it would take an hour. Done in half hour!! wow. I feel whole.

Sarge and otatrant like this.
  3. ToyotaFamily

ToyotaFamily New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I got my 2nd key fob notification in the Toyota app last week. Tomorrow I get it programmed and the stealership said it would take an hour and a half to complete the process.

According to black label sticker inside driver’s side door the 2023 Prius XLE was built in June (purchased July 30). I was given a second key when I picked up the car. It took 6 months.

4. Agent337

Agent337 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    Hello fellow Prius Chatters, I just picked up my 2nd key fob today, 12/05/23. I got the "Service Campaign" notice for the 2nd Key Delivery about 2 weeks ago. I called my local dealer last and week and made an appointment for today, as they needed a few days for the key fob to be delivered to the dealer (at least, that's what they told me). Brought my car in and it took about 2 hours and then I was good to go. My 2023 Prius Prime SE was built in June 2023. All-in-all, it was a relatively smooth process, hope this helps!

Sarge likes this.
  5. Uhcoustic

Uhcoustic Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Try checking your toyota app? That's how they announced the arrival at the dealership of my second key. (2023 prime here)

6. purplePriii

purplePriii Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Damn, I'm getting jelly. My SE is March 2023 and still nothing in the app or the mail for the second key. I wonder if US is going before Canada.

7. GeoJ

GeoJ Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    So day after I got my second key I have a "system malfunction visit dealer" notice on the dash. Coincidence (dealer says so) or something related to the software sync for new key? Anyway, I will go back to the dealer tomorrow.

8. Agent337

Agent337 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    Yikes! Hope is a minor, easily-to-fix coincidence. Two days after my 2nd key fob programming, I received a notification on the MID saying something along the lines of "a new key has been programmed to this vehicle". Best of luck at the dealer and please let us know what they say.

9. GeoJ

GeoJ Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Yes. In fact as I was driving to the dealer to have it checked I noticed the notification was GONE. So I called and cancelled the appointment. I have driven quite a bit since then and no issues.

Agent337 likes this.
  10. aforkosh

aforkosh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Don't worry about that message. From page 109 of the 2023 Owner's Manual:

■ If “A New Key has been Registered Contact Your Dealer for Details” is displayed on the multi-information display
    This message will be displayed each time the driver’s door is opened when the doors are unlocked from the outside for approximately 10 days after a new electronic key has been registered. If this message is displayed but you have not had a new electronic key registered, ask your Toyota dealer to check if an unknown electronic key (other than those in your possession) has been registered.

You get the same message after adding a digital key.

Note that having a PDF version of the owner's manual on your computer allows you to use your PDF reader to quickly search the manual.

Sharol, Sarge and Agent337 like this.
  11. flarecde

flarecde Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Just got mine yesterday, took half a week to order the key, I just had them do it when I was in for the 10k service. About 30 minutes to program. Got the car in March 2023.

Now it will sit in a drawer and have a dead battery when I need it, as is tradition.

Sarge and Sedril like this.
  12. theRob

theRob Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    The service campaign alert still shows in the Toyota app for me. Does anyone know when it will clear?

13. aforkosh

aforkosh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    When the dealer updates the file. Mine took a day or two.

14. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Hmm, that is strange. I took delivery on my Prime on August 19th, and I received notification in the app on Dec 7th about my 2nd fob, called the dealer that day and have an appointment to pick it up and programmed on Saturday (Dec 16), so a bit under 4 months. I am in southern Ontario.

I have the XSE Premium, so it is a different fob with the trunk release, so it may be a difference of inventory (dealers around here seem to have more demand for the lower trims, so probably less inventory, etc.).

I am in Southern Ontario.

15. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Thanks for this… was wondering about that message. 10 days seems exceedingly long. :cautious:

16. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Car was built March 30, 2023.
    Got notification on app between Nov 21-23.
    Called dealership service dept Nov 27. (first business day after Thanksgiving holiday weekend)
    Dealership ordered the fob that morning and it was delivered the next day.
    Got the fob programmed Nov 28.

Sarge likes this.
  17. flim

flim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Mine took 8 months from 03/23 built date and it's an XSE Premium too. I think they are probably caught up with the supply issue.

18. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Could be… mostly luck of the draw, I guess.o_O

19. HacksawMark

HacksawMark Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Picked mine up today when I took it in for it's first oil change. Bought it on August 8 and received the notice on the app on November 20.

20. purplePriii

purplePriii Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    A few days after that post I got my notice in the app and then 3 days or so I got the letter in the mail. Unfortunately, I still don't have my key. Initially the dealer couldn't find me in the campaign when they looked up the VIN. I called this week and now they can find me but it doesn't pop up the parts number for my key so can't order it.

Anyone had this happened to them before?