1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2023 2nd key fob ?

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by mrlarrys, May 13, 2023.

1. CruisnGrrl

CruisnGrrl Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Got my second key yesterday, also had scheduled a battery test which I probably didn't need to do as the key was failing to register because the battery was so weak. so new battery and new key.

2. flim

flim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Yes, I went through a minor hassle when it was confirmed that I was eligible for the campaign but when the key fob was ready to be mailed, there was an error and the shipment was aborted. The thread below happened next and you could have the same issue. Good luck!

>My issue remains unresolved today. The dealer was frustrated with Toyota when he got an email and was given the mechanical key cut code and they closed the ticket! He actually told me he didn’t need Toyota to give the dealer a mechanical key cut code!

The parts guy was furious that Toyota didn’t even know that the campaign was for the Smart key and not the mechanical key and it was also stated in the campaign that I already received one Smart key and a second mechanical key!

3. purplePriii

purplePriii Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah this sucks! I saw the post from Nov. 30th and it is still not fixed now? Did your dealer try anything else?

The parts guy at this dealer told me he'd keep a post-it and keep trying every day until he can order it but it sounds like that might not work if it ends up like your story. Mine is only an SE so I think we have a different key (no trunk button on mine) but I'm not sure if all XSE in the US have the power trunk option

4. flim

flim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    It was fixed a week later. I forwarded my old post above when I was having the issue.

5. aforkosh

aforkosh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Steve Clifford has released a YouTube with the latest memo to Toyota dealers. Essentially, any Toyota car produced by the end of November should have a 2nd key available by the end of December.

6. Argyros

Argyros Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I just got the service campaign on my 2nd key notification- I'm going to call the dealer today, and see how long from today it will take to get the 2nd key. Starting the clock....

7. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Just going to point out that you're calling the dealer on the Friday before Christmas. Not exactly the best time for a speedy response to something like this. (Service people on vacation, dealership busy with customers trying to get service done before long trips, shipping is a nightmare, keyfob likely won't get shipped out until Tuesday at the very earliest, etc.)

I called my dealership the Monday after Thanksgiving and had my key programmed and in my hand within 36 hours. I thought about calling them the previous Friday, but I figured what was the point? They were probably operating short staffed and so was the Toyota warehouse where they'd have to order the key from. Trying to force the order through on the Friday felt like I was raising the odds of something going wrong. Maybe the person who answered the phone wouldn't understand what I wanted, maybe it would be entered into the system wrong, maybe they'd ship the wrong keyfob, etc. It just felt safer to wait until Monday when there was more likely to be a full staff. If it were me, I'd probably wait until Wednesday of next week to call. Shoot for the gap between Christmas and New Years.

Argyros likes this.
  8. srwax

srwax Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Also recieve mine yesterday. Hope I can get the key done before new year.

9. Argyros

Argyros Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    After waiting for a call back from my dealer, they said they wouldn't be able to have the key ready until next week, so I had to make an appointment for next Sat, 12/30.

10. Alan Nomoto

Alan Nomoto New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    5 months & still waiting for 2nd fob. (Just checked a couple of weeks ago during 5K service). Was given 1 fob & 1 key.

Also, fob seems to have a range of only 20 feet at best. Usually don’t bother until proximity sensor unlocks driver door.

11. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Yeah, I have noticed the range of the fob is very poor, 20 feet sounds about right. I heard these fobs are more secure with rolling codes (?) not sure if that is related to the short range; I also haven’t seen any formal information about this added security either (?).

BTW, does everybody realize there is a hidden remote start on the key fob by pressing the Lock key three times, and holding on the third press? ;) Of course, there is still that 20ft thing…. :cautious:

Regarding my second key, I got the notice in early December, called my dealer right away and booked my appointment to get the key a week later. Key programmed and received without issue on Dec 16, which is just under 4 months from when I took delivery (Aug 19).:cool:

mountaineer and flim like this.
  12. srwax

srwax Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Just got my second key fob. Made the appointment yesterday online and they are able to program it today.

Sarge likes this.
  13. Argyros

Argyros Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Also went to get my 2nd key fob this morning- it took about an hour to get it programmed, even with the service person telling us it might take over two hours because of staff calling in sick for the holiday weekend. Good on them getting it done quickly :)

Sarge likes this.
  14. Argyros

Argyros Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    One update- later on, about 2 hours later after we left the dealer, I noticed on the app that the service campaign was still uncleared; I called the dealer, and they said it may take a few more hours. I just checked it- it's been 5 hours since I called; the notification is now GONE. Finally. Hope I don't get any messages on the screen.

15. aforkosh

aforkosh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    For about 10 days, you'll see a message on your multi-information display when you get in the car that a new key has been registered. See message #130 in this topic for more details.

16. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Yeah, it seems to usually take a few days for the notification on the app to disappear, but it will.

17. CeruleanBlue

CeruleanBlue Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Reading thread here about SILENT notification in the Toyota app, and there it was. Don't know how long but I suspect from November; I purchased late July. Anyway, will call dealer tomorrow and start the order process. Thanks for the heads up!

18. stuyguy

stuyguy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Dealer couldn't get Toyota app working for me. Is that the only way you're notified of 2nd fob availability?

19. Jabog6

Jabog6 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    I was told to expect a letter from Toyota about the 2nd key fob.
    (Btw, I was also not able to connect the app to my car)

stuyguy likes this.
  20. aforkosh

aforkosh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    The dealer should be able to checkby using the serial number of the car. When I got the notification, the parts guy at my dealership verified that I was eligible via the serial number and ordered the fob.