1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2023 2nd key fob ?

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by mrlarrys, May 13, 2023.

1. Downrange

Downrange Active Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    Still waiting since May. I suspect the local dealer doesn't understand the process and is not being proactive here. I have called them about this again. Very frustrating.

2. BacknBlack

BacknBlack New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    My car was delivered in late August and I picked up my 2nd fob last week. (Notified thru app)

3. converseguy

converseguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Ordered June 6
    Picked up 2024 Prius Oct. 31, Notified thru app.
    2nd key fob picked up Jan. 3

4. CeruleanBlue

CeruleanBlue Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    2nd FOB delivered today. Also., first Toyota-Care, 6 months, 2800 miles.

5. andyg

andyg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Picked up my second key fob from the dealer today. Got my Prime XSE beginning of July 2023 and forgot that I was given the second manual key along with the first key fob. Folks that are waiting for the second fob, check and make sure you received two manual keys at the time of delivery.

6. GMAccord

GMAccord Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No news on second key fob yet for me. Got the car in Aug, 23

7. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Have you checked your Toyota app? You should have been eligible over a month ago. You would have either been in the very end of phase 4 or the very beginning of phase 5. Toyota just started phase 6.

Uhcoustic likes this.
  8. GMAccord

GMAccord Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Hi…Thanks for the response! If you are referring to the Toyota MFD Display app, no message shows up there. The mobile app, I did not set up, dealer did not mention that as a requirement for getting the second fob. Really frustrating to wait so long. Been driving a Prius since 2008 but with the latest Toyota buying experience - 4 months wait to get the car, 6 months waiting for key fob, my next car is unlikely to be a Toyota.

9. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    No, the mobile app. It's not a requirement, but it shaves off the time by a month or more. The app lets you know the moment you're eligible for the 2nd key. You're eventually going to get a letter in the mail saying the same thing, but it takes around a month(give or take) for it to get printed and make it through the mail system. (and that's assuming you didn't already get the letter and throw it away thinking it was junk mail)

Or you can just call any Toyota dealer service department right now and give them your VIN(if they don't already have it). They'll run the VIN and tell you if you're eligible. I'm pretty sure you are by now. No, the dealer will not call you unprompted to let you know you're eligible. The mobile app and the letter are the ways Toyota is letting customers know.

BTW, why didn't you set up the mobile app? That's the primary autostart method and it gives you a bunch of handy info. Remote lock & unlock. The record of your service visits. Fuel, tire pressure and odometer status. Recalls and service campaigns. Quick links to the manuals. Record of your most recent trips. I'm not saying it's the best written piece of software out there, but it still has its uses.

flim likes this.
  10. GMAccord

GMAccord Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Called Toyota and got my appoint for key fob! Thanks for the tip. The mobile app - now that I need reading glasses, is not as user friendly as pre-reading glass days :)

11. wrtboy168

wrtboy168 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    i wish there is way to reduce the size of our key fob without the metal key. i find the 5th gen prius key fob a bit bulky. something like key fob lite. ;)

TwoGeeks likes this.
  12. Uhcoustic

Uhcoustic Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Right? the range is already so low on it, i don't know what they're using the space for hahah

wrtboy168 likes this.
  13. TwoGeeks

TwoGeeks Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I wasn't in a huge rush for Martha's second fob in part because the dealer is 2 hours away & I'm going to make a day trip out of it.
    two serious questions:
    1. why does it take 60-120 minutes to program they darned thing?
    2. why IS it so large?
    (bonus third question: why isn't there a trunk release button on the new fob?)
    Thanks y'all.

I do love my 2023 Prius, whom I named Martha (I bought her in Washington, NC) -- so much more than Annette, my 2012 Prius.

wrtboy168 likes this.
  14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Can you post a pic, with ruler beside it? Just curious.

15. RafaJPG

RafaJPG New Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    YEAH!!!.... I MISS THAT ONE TOO, ITS EASIER TO MAKE A 360 TURN!

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  16. aforkosh

aforkosh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited

As the qquoted email says, I got my notice of 2nd key availability in the app just before Thanksging and had the key by the end of November.

Today (March8), I received the postal mail notice of the key's availability. So the postal mail notice arrived over 3 months later than the notice in the app.

17. Jerry G

Jerry G New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    LE
    I got second fob on Jan 6. Still have not received a mailed letter.

18. Papa John

Papa John Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I just got mine today. Bought the car 9 months and 2 days ago.
    I was waiting for a letter from Toyota, but it showed up as a recall item at the 10,000 mile service and I was OK'd to make an appointment to have the key fob programmed.

19. Kevin H Tran

Kevin H Tran New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Called dealership yesterday to schedule the first maintenance (5000 miles) on the XLE, I was able to also put the request to get my second key fob programmed. Got the Prius in November of 2023.

20. purplePriii

purplePriii Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Woo, after 4 months since I got the app warning/letter, I was finally able to obtain my 2nd key fob!
    Granted I'm in a sort of atypical case with a CDN spec car getting the key in the US. First dealer had me wait 3 months while "they were working on it, can't reach Toyota, etc, etc". I tried another dealer who figured out they needed to file some paperwork and 30 min later it was ordered.

Also I can confirm there is no "proximity unlock" in the US Techstream as I remember posting elsewhere as it seemed an option on Japanese models. The tech tried finding it and couldn't see it anywhere.

#180 purplePriii, Mar 15, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2024