1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2023 Corolla Hybrid Final Specs

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by drash, Oct 18, 2022.

1. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    2023 Toyota Corolla Hybrid jacks up the power and torque but at the cost of a mileage drop. It does have a $1,250 drop in price, probably to cover the loss in gas mileage. :D

Toyota Boosts 2023 Corolla Hybrid with All-New Infrared Edition, New Grades and Available AWD - Toyota USA Newsroom
    Download PDF

Some impressive stuff: Get an AWD option for the first time and bump in power everywhere. The rear motor is not the Prius AWD rear motor you would have expected. You are looking at a 30kW (40hp) rear motor, which incidentally is the same as the Corolla Cross Hybrid in Europe, versus the 5kW (7hp) rear motor for the Prius AWD. I would expect the rear motor to be the same as the US Corolla Cross Hybrid version when it gets the final specs. The front motor posted a jump from 53kW (71hp) to 70kW (93hp). So they want performance in their hybrids as this 2023 model posted a 11% gain of 100kW (134hp) over the 90kW (121hp) for the 2022 model. The weight hasn't changed between the 2022 and 2023 model so this will give it a nice push off the line. I'm waiting for European specs to compare the battery and specs for the European models.

Some people will be not happy with the final FWD EPA mileage specs:
    City: 50mpg (4.7L/100km)
    Highway: 43mpg (5.5L/100km):eek:
    Combined: 47mpg (5.0L/100km)

2022 EPA
    City: 53mpg
    Highway: 52mpg
    Combined: 52mpg

The big question is, is this a sign for the future Prius?

Tideland Prius likes this.
  2. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Hmm...maybe the drop in the Corolla EPA MPG spec is to make the new Prius look even better when we get the announcement. :ROFLMAO: With that said, there are a couple 2023 Corolla test drives out there on YouTube now and one of the drivers got 60 MPG...so pretty easy to beat the EPA if you know what you are doing. However, the test drive wasn't on the freeway...

alanclarkeau and drash like this.
  3. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Might be some truth to that. Makes the Prius AWD look great even though the Prius AWD outweighs Corolla Hybrid AWD by some 360lbs (163kg). Look at the Prius AWD versus the Corolla Hybrid AWD:

Prius AWD
    City: 51mpg (4.6L/100km)
    Highway: 47mpg (5.0L/100km)
    Combined: 49mpg (4.8L/100km)

Corolla Hybrid AWD
    City: 47mpg (5.0L/100km)
    Highway: 41mpg (5.7L/100km)
    Combined: 44mpg (5.4L/100km)

It probably is more of a sign of why Toyota estimated the Corolla Cross Hybrid at 37mpg. At probably around 3,300lb (1,497kg) the Corolla Cross Hybrid is probably 450lbs (204kg) more than the 2023 Corolla Hybrid AWD at 2,850lbs (1,293kg). Then you add in boxy SUV versus a sleek sedan = :eek:. Maybe the 2.0L is more efficient but I'm sure it can't cancel out the difference.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oye. Our prices didn't drop.

More Performance, More Style, More Features, Less Gas: Get More to Love with the 2023 Toyota Corolla Hybrid | Toyota Canada

$26,090 to $34,290. :eek::eek::eek:

A nearly $35,000 Corolla!! and that's before PDI and taxes.

hill and alanclarkeau like this.
  5. farmecologist

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    That 41 highway MPG though....ouch. I'm not sure if I can go back to a "just over 40 MPG on the highway" vehicle at this point. That certainly kicks the AWD model off my shortlist. (y)

Personally, I really like our 2012 Prius C ( unfortunately, now our daughter has it ). The thing is fun to drive, and is incredibly easy to get well over 50MPG nearly everywhere...even on the freeway. Actually easier than our Gen3's have been. The very low curb weight has a lot to do with it. The C is also a beast in the snow with snow tires. Our Prius V feels like a tank compared to the Prius C due to the almost *800 pound* weight difference. I'm really disappointed Toyota didn't bring the hybrid Yaris and new Aqua to the USA.

I'm holding out high hopes for the new Prius...Toyota is going the wrong way on MPG. I can understand the drop for the Corolla because they are sacrificing 'power' for efficiency a bit. However, I *really* hope they pull some efficiency tricks out of the hat with the new Prius. If they don't....why bother?

drash likes this.
  6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Any word on what battery it is using?
    The US dollar has been getting stronger. Your $35k Corolla would be $25k here, but Toyota is charging us $26.6k for the XLE FWD. In absolute dollars, the AWD price is about the same for both.

Interesting that you are getting a XSE hybrid while we'll get the XLE. For the US, the non-hybrid Corolla has XSE instead of XLE. The price increases for higher trims here are more for the hybrid than the non.
    Small cars were always a hard sell in the US. Current gas prices would justify the higher price tag a Yaris hybrid, but we would need a Yaris to come back first. The last few years of the last one in the US was a Mazda2. I now see the Mazda2 in Europe is based on the Yaris, and it is assembled in their plant in Mexico. I am still a little surprised Toyota made an actual Aqua, instead of going with a Yaris hybrid for the home market.

In order to compete with plug ins, I think Toyota is taking the Prius in a performance direction. Well, at least the Prime. If the rumors are true it will have the 2.0L engine.

7. farmecologist

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    We'll have to agree to disagree there. The Prius is the efficiency showcase car for Toyota. They have *plenty* of other hybrid models to cover the 'performance' side of things ( even the Corolla now...I guess? :ROFLMAO:). We will see when the announcement is released, which should be soon! (y)

8. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Toyota is posting better numbers for the LE AWD on their site. Those are the SE AWD, which seems to also be the Fueleconomy.gov ratings.

The LE mpg (city/highway/combined) is 53/46/50, and LE AWD 51/44/48.

drash likes this.
  9. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You're probably correct about the Prius - maybe and in the short term. The Japanese media thinks the WLTC consumption for the 2023 Prius (slated to go sale in December) should be around 40km/L (94mpg) that was written about in other threads. I have doubts because the new 1.8L looks like it's more powerful not more economical unless they use a different ECM for the Prius. The Prius Prime definitely looks to be a performance model with its 2.0L engine and unknown battery pack. Their assumption, reads more like a wish list than an actual prediction, is the next generation Prius should get 100km/L, but..... not without some enormous changes. Like the Prius will become a standard PHEV and, from the latest article, have a 1.5L 3-cylinder engine and a 10kWh bipolar nickel-metal hydride battery. :rolleyes::D:LOL::ROFLMAO: Sorry couldn't help myself on that one. Here's the link and a partial translation:
    新型プリウス今年12月発売!! トヨタしかできない!! 次期型に期待する「サプライズ」 - 自動車情報誌「ベストカー」

"If you want to improve fuel efficiency, you don't have to stick to body style
     The current Prius PHV consists of a 1.8L straight 4 gasoline engine + plug-in hybrid. The battery capacity is 8.8 kWh (RAV4 PHV is 18.1 kWh), which has been reduced as much as possible to keep vehicle prices from rising.

The author predicts that the next-generation Prius will combine a new unit based on the 1.5L 3-cylinder engine installed in Yaris and Aqua with a power battery adjusted to an appropriate capacity (predicted to be a bipolar nickel-metal hydride battery of about 10kWh). , 100 kg weight reduction (1410 kg ← current PHV is 1510 kg), and a form that further pursues aerodynamics (Cd value 0.21 ← current Prius PHV is 0.25, 0.21 is the same as Hyundai's "IONIQ 6") I predict that it will appear in

Fuel consumption is 100km/L. In order to improve fuel efficiency, I think that it is good to break away from the style between the hatchback and the sedan now. Just as the new Crown took a "big challenge" with its design, I'd love to see the next Prius focused on technology."

We're talking 2026 and up here.

farmecologist likes this.
  10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Li-Ion I believe.

Yeah I suppose. Our prices have been suppressed for nearly a decade now whilst yours has been increasing.

No 2023 gassers yet. Toyota Canada has only released the hybrids. If you go to "Build Your Own", it only gives the option for 2022 if you select "gas". Also, the Corolla homepage does mention to take a look at the 2022 while we wait for the 2023s to arrive.

11. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here in Australia ($AU) , I've been told $37613 drive-away for a mid-spec (FWD) in white after 2 price rises ($3k with updated model, $~500 on 1st January). Fuel figures haven't been published yet - but wait is supposed to be "up to 9 months" is what TOYOTA is quoting dealers. Yes, engine and electric motors are more powerful.

12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Homogenizing “improvements” is a good tact. My 2 cents: ergonomics, practicality and ease of maintenance have been neglected, from 2nd to 4th gen.

13. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well Europe has announced they are producing the 2023 Corolla for their markets which is mostly hybrid and consists of the Corolla Sedan, Hatchback and the cool Touring Sports (their version of a real Corolla wagon). They are concentrating on the 1.8L variety where the motors and electronics are produced in Poland while UK is responsible for a new 1.8L engine and assembles the final car. This is the 140hp system. We'll get final specs on the cars shortly after.

Toyota starts production of 5th generation hybrid powertrain in Europe

14. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I think the 2L hybrid Corolla's CO2 emissions just misses out on incentives in Europe, thus the 1.8L focus.

15. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah they have to meet the "Norway target 2020" of 85 g/km of CO2 which the new 1.8L meets (the old, read current, 1.8L puts out 86 g/km) but even the new Dynamic Force 2.0L puts out 92 g/km. I think that's why Toyota is starting to focus on the 1.5L 3 cylinder (3/4s of the 2.0L Dynamic Force) for future gas engines in order to meet EU target 2025 of 80.8 g/km. Probably why some Japanese scoop sites are saying this is the future engine of the 2025 Prius Prime. Curiously both the 1.8L and 2.0L meet the current EU Target 2021 of 95 g/km but of course these are fleet measurements so they probably need to get lower to make up for the RAV4 (100 g/km - hybrid), Highlander (146 g/km - hybrid) and variants of the Land Cruiser.

Tideland Prius and Trollbait like this.