1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2023 Multimedia Unusable

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Audio, Electronics and Infotainment' started by Amysway00, Apr 25, 2023.

?
  1. Yes

53.8%
  2. No

46.2%
  3. Yes, but Toyota fixed it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Does it only happen trying to connect to your phone? Does it happen with your phone off? Try driving with your phone off. If the problem does not happen driving with the phone off, it is the phone, not the car.

Galaxy 8 is a fairly ancient phone. I am surprised that yours still works. Don't expect a state-of-the-art system to be compatible with a six-year-old phone. I am sure Toyota did not bother testing it with older phones.

2. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    No, don't. That requires a lot of initialization.

3. Vneck

Vneck New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    just bring it to the dealer and get a new unit for free within warranty period.

daisy555 likes this.
  4. Amysway00

Amysway00 New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Believe it or not, I have tried all of those things multiple times. I had a hard time believing that it was just going to keep shutting off no matter what I did. I installed, uninstalled, turned off, turned on, made new profiles and pin numbers on the app, tried to get to the reset screen in settings before it shuts off, held buttons, tried to make it through all the menu options before the shutdown, tried forgetting profiles and Bluetooth connections, -- All in different orders.

The only thing I can think of that I haven't done is physically connect my phone through the media port (which I've never used), disconnected the battery to try a hard reset as mentioned above (which I have come very close to doing), and set it on fire and go cry in a corner (TBD)

............Actually, I don't think I ever cleared the cache on the AA because I hated it from the start and didn't use it. But it was connected for half a day or so. -- hell, its worth a shot.
    ............Also, (I could be wrong) I don't remember seeing the DCM icon on the top right of the screen until all this started.
    ............AND every time it rebooted (every 20 seconds) my phone would alert me of everything.
    For instance, at 8:49 a.m. I got "Ready to Connect"
    at 9:02 a.m. " BLE SERVICE - HEAD UNIT CONNECTED" -- is it necessary to tell the everyday user that the head unit is connected? If I didn't have this issue I would have never known what the head unit is.

I'm trying to be positive that Toyota is going to fix this but my gut tells me I need to be educated and proactive.
    That's the plan. We will see tomorrow what happens.

Attached Files:

5. Amysway00

Amysway00 New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    https://s.amsu.ng/TRCYmINfk2rN

I think I finally got a short video to show the issue to post here.
    I have about 45 more minutes of me selecting options while it shuts down on me.

6. Amysway00

Amysway00 New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    The whole system just shuts down regardless of there is a phone connected. I think I finally got a video to post that might make more sense than me trying to explain.

7. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Bluetooth on your phone is turned on. Turn off your phone entirely before you start the car and keep it off, then see what happens. You first want to eliminate the possibility that it is your phone.

8. Amysway00

Amysway00 New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Ok. I see what you're saying.
    ......I just tried that and there was no difference. I turned my bluetooth and wifi off, turned my phone off, and left it in the house just to be sure. I am glad that possibility can now be eliminated. Thanks for the help!
    Also.. DAMN.. I didnt know my phone was that old! Clearly, so am I to not realize it lol

#28 Amysway00, Apr 28, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2023
  9. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Typically a Galaxy S8 will show battery-capacity issues by now. You might experience other issues as well.

In that case, it could be a firmware issue with the multimedia unit. Perhaps the dealer knows how to do a reset and firmware update without removing it. Since it was working fine before, it is more likely needing a reset than firmware update. The 12-V battery negative cable disconnect could do the trick after all as someone suggested it.

10. Ronnie5

Ronnie5 Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    When I picked my Prius the salesman couldn’t get wireless CarPlay to connect. We tried a few things, but nothing worked. Luckily I brought a cable. We tried the wired connection and it worked fine. I drove the car about 40 miles, tried the wireless again, and it connected right away and has worked ever since.

daisy555 and Gokhan like this.
  11. Gwyd

Gwyd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Did you disable or refuse the connected services consent? My salesman told me if I refused that option the first time I connected that it would cause all kinds of problems with the infotainment system. I don't think that's causing your issue - it sounds hardware related to me - but worth asking the dealer about if you did refuse it.

12. planetarian

planetarian Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    4500 miles in, using wireless Android Auto on my galaxy Z fold 3, I've only ever seen the infotainment system turn itself off one time, and that was within the first couple hundred miles. Restarting brought it back to normal. Otherwise, the only issue I've had is the system occasionally not connecting to my phone on the first try.

13. GGD

GGD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    What was the resolution to this problem? This just happened to our 2023 LTD that's 9 months old and has just under 15K miles on it. Never seen it before today.

Even happens with no phones in the car, just trying to get the radio to play. Constant rebooting loop.

Is it a known issue the dealer can fix, not really looking forward to stuff like this once it's out of warranty. Way too much software in cars today. Is there any easy confirmed user way to fix it? Any confirmation that dealers can fix it?

14. wrtboy168

wrtboy168 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    i have a pixel 5 and i can only connect to android auto with bluetooth but can never connect via usb cable. tried clearing cache, update android auto but still no luck connecting via usb. connecting with bluetooth works.

15. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I have a Samsung Galaxy 10.5 inch tablet mounted. Does what I want

16. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    I have to ask the stupid question first. Are you using the left USB port under the dash?

17. wrtboy168

wrtboy168 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    yep, the left usb. the right usb is only for power.

18. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Shoot, that would have been an easy solution. But I figured you were using the correct port.

Are you at least getting power through that port? Does your phone charge when it's plugged into the data port? If not, maybe the port is disconnected somewhere behind the dash.

Also, you generally have to allow permission on your phone to let the car interface. Is it possible that was denied by accident? Maybe go into permissions on your phone while it's plugged in to doublecheck the car has access?

19. wrtboy168

wrtboy168 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    the pixel 5 is getting charged via the left usb and connected to android auto via bluetooth. i'm wondering if it's a pixel 5 issue but i'm not certain unless there are other pixel 5 users who are not able to connect via usb.

20. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I think it's doing what it was designed to. It's grand price and shininess elude to more versatility. When we start using it we realize we've been taken by the glossy screen sales gimic. New cars don't do anything 10yr old cars don't do. And fuel economy doesn't seem to have improved either. Keeping my old Prius and gonna just keep right on fixing it