1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2023 Prime ?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by tedjohnson, Apr 13, 2022.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The JC08 was one the most optimistic tests in the world. Japan has been using the WLTP since 2018 though.

This over 50 mile range is very possible.

drash and Sarge like this.
  2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    note that the interior shown is the new Crown. He’s just saying that it’s possible the Prius might get a nicer interior.

My guess is that it’ll be premium compared to the compact class (not a high standard to beat) but definitely not Crown or Venza level. Toyota still treats the Prius like a Corolla class.

Current range is 68km in Japan right? So a bear 50% increase will place it around 60km EPA. Less than the RAV4 Prime but it will be more efficient.

3. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Yeah, I know the interior was from the Crown and he said that, little details (if any?) on the interior available so far.

Rumors on the range and power both seem to be varied, seems the only sure thing if they will both be increased, and that’s good with me. :)

Hopefully they also offer some other nice amenities, like a moonroof, ventilated/memory seats, etc. ;). Wireless CarPlay should be a given at this point.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  4. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, no and yes assuming they don’t have a proprietary MFD (like the current Prime).

I just want “iPod integration” continued. My current car doesn’t have it and it doesn’t recognise the iPod nano so I can’t scroll through playlists or search for albums or artists like I can in the current gen Prius.

However, I can with my iPhone because of Apple CarPlay.

Sarge likes this.
  5. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Yeah, that is a good point, given that the Prius was one of the last Toyota models to get wired CarPlay at all… and even the current “loaded” model with 11” screen doesn’t support Android Auto, which is terrible, for a 2022 “tech” vehicle… (and yes, I know Tesla does their own thing).

6. SR-71

SR-71 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Youtube is abuzz with speculation on the 2023 Prius Prime, which is suppose to debut around the December 2022 timeframe. Rumors of a new body style, new chassis, slightly larger engine with a small bump up in gas mileage and 45 to (some are saying) 62 miles of EV range. And I read earlier this year Toyota was planning on selecting one of their platforms to test a new type of EV battery. Perhaps it'll be the Prius Prime. It's a long shot and perhaps wishful thinking, but if Toyota doubles the EV range of the 2023 Prius Prime while maintaining its same fuel mileage (or better), that will be enough incentive for me to sell my '17 Prius Prime and I'll upgrade to the 2023 model.

huskers and Sarge like this.
  7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The 11.6" screen was a good idea but the execution seemed half-***ed. It looked like they just took the current software and enlarged it to fit the 11.6" screen. (even the split-screen overlay didn't seem well integrated). That's a pity. The screen was really nice and it did serve as a focal point for anyone who sat in my car but I wished it did more. I wished the backup camera took up the entire screen (or that there was a 360° setup to take up the bottom half).

I wished that CarPlay and AndroidAuto was full screen (And not half the screen) and that the USB video capability allowed use of the full width of the screen.

Those stating 62 miles are simply using the Japanese number. We've seen this every time there's a new generation of Prius. "100mpg!!!" because they used to Japanese test cycle and converted that to Imperial mpg.

As a Prius Expert, my educated guess is 38-40 miles. (Yes, less than the RAV4 Prime).

bisco and Sarge like this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Any rumors as to when Toyota might get back to full production?

9. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There are no plant closures for the rest of September. Yes they are back to making the bZ4X and Subaru Solterra so the Europeans should be happy. That being said they are currently stockpiling chips for upcoming 2023 model releases according the bestcarweb.jp so the new models will be released on time and not suffer the same plant closure issues seen this past year. Chips are not the only thing in short supply, though, many other types of products have been notoriously hard to get.

bisco and Tideland Prius like this.
  10. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well if you look at how the Japanese are calculating ranges and mileage they use WLTC which is their equivalent to the European WLTP. Here's a translation of bestcarweb.jp on another article about the Prius:
    "
     From Toyota's point of view, it seems that cars that emphasize practicality will be left to SUVs, and conventional sedans and hatchbacks will be specialized for sports models in the future. It seems to find the meaning of existence there.

However, the high fuel efficiency is a non-negotiable part for the Prius.

The current model has a WLTC mode fuel efficiency of 27.2 to 32.1km / L (FF car), but of course, it is a top priority to exceed it.

The power unit is an in-line 4-cylinder 1.8L hybrid, which is the same as the current model, but the hybrid system will switch to a new type.

In-house it is called the "5th generation hybrid system", and all electric modules including the newly developed lithium-ion battery will be renewed.

The system was first installed in the new Noah/Voxy, and the Prius will be the second due to the timing of its introduction, but the Noah/Voxy is said to have improved fuel efficiency by 23%, and by simple calculation, the next Prius WLTC mode is 35.3-39.4km/L.

If you come this far, it will be certain to display 40km / L or more."

link: 新型プリウス掴んだ!!! トヨタのエースが革新的変化で2023年春登場 - 自動車情報誌「ベストカー」

WLTP combined range for the European Rav4 PHEV is 75km (47 miles). Converting the Rav4 Prime AER EPA of 42 miles you'll get 68km which ends up being about a 12% increase for WLTP.

Converting their WLTC on the current (4th Gen) Prius is 64 mpg while the US Prius L Eco gets a combined 56 mpg so their WLTC is generous by about 14.3%. That would make the 2023 Prius Prime to be anywhere from 53 to 55 miles of AER. Their WAG is 35.3km/L for the standard 2023 Prius or 83 mpg. For a direct EPA conversion that would be about 71 mpg. They are doing better than when they used the JC08 but I would take what "@Tideland Prius" says to heart because these are still WAGs and targets in my opinion. All I would say is prove us wrong AER on the 2023 Prius Prime won't be in the high 30s to low 40s miles (low 60s km).

Sarge, Gokhan and Tideland Prius like this.
  11. 2wheeler

2wheeler New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'm looking at getting an updated Prius Prime, hopefully in 2023. I'm currently driving a 2021 Rav4 Prime and looking to see if I can exit with a profit. I would hope that the updated PP has a range greater than the current 42 miles of the R4P and amm hoping for a little more performance than the current model. This all might be wishful thinking at the moment, but I very much enjoy the RvP frugality and pep!