1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2023 Prius Canadian Information

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by Tideland Prius, Dec 14, 2022.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

A Stunner is Born: All-New 2023 Toyota Prius Arrives This Winter | Toyota Canada

In Canada, the 2023 Prius will be offered in two grades, XLE AWD and Limited AWD. With a wide selection of available colours including the all-new Cutting Edge and Guardian Gray, as well as Wind Chill Pearl, Black, Supersonic Red or Reservoir Blue. AWD will be standard on both grades.

The 2023 Toyota Prius XLE AWD (starting MSRP: $36,490) comes standard with 19-inch alloy wheels, an 8-inch Toyota Multimedia touchscreen, an 8-way adjustable heated power driver’s seat, SofTex seating and a heated steering wheel. Additional standard features include 6 USB-c ports, Electronic Parking Brake (EPB), SofTex steering wheel, rain-sensing wipers, smart key, wireless charger and Blind Spot Monitor (BSM) with Rear Cross-Traffic Alert (RCTA).

The 2023 Toyota Prius Limited AWD (starting MSRP: $42,990) includes all standard XLE AWD features and adds a 12.3-inch Toyota multimedia touchscreen, JBL Premium Audio system with 8 speakers, a fixed glass roof, heated and ventilated front seats, a power back door, a Digital Key, a Panoramic View Monitor, Digital Rearview Mirror, heated rear seats, Advanced Park, and Front and Rear Parking Assist with Automatic Braking (PA w/AB).

New to Toyota, the Advanced Park system executes necessary steering and braking controls and helps drivers navigate the vehicle into a selected parking space. It’s capable of parallel parking and backing up into a perpendicular space. It can even offer assistance in exiting a space.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  2. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Basically prices are up $6,000-$10,000 for the Canadian model.

In fairness, do you get a lot more equipment that was never available in the old Prius.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Wow, very limited selection. No 17" rims, only two options, both AWD. I'm guessing no chance of a spare then. Seems like Prius has "moved on"?

4. mountaineer

mountaineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    Looks like the price of the top configuration Prius has gone up close to C$7,000 on the nose, but as you say, Tideland Prius, lots more equipment and features. Seems prices have jumped a lot more in this country than in the US – due to the strong USD?

I was hoping the top configuration Prime wouldn't jump much more than that, but with battery going from 8.8 to 13.6 kWh, hopes are fading. Having had one on order >10 months, choosing to take delivery will be a tough call if used values drop.

Climbing into the $5000 rebate category from $2500 will help!

Prashanta and moonmist like this.
  5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No. Only LE models have that and we’re not getting it.

Well it’s moving upmarket with Camry-like equipment.

Oh right. I forgot about the Technology Package.

Yes you’re right, it’s $7,000, not $10,000.

Yeah which means the Prime is easily >$45k, dare I say $48k? (Before incentives)

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Digesting this a bit more... I think Toyota's made it impossible for me to buy. It's ticking ALL my boxes, except it in the deal breaker list. Maybe I'll be back to eat these words, but I doubt it.

Probably for the best, a good "cold shower": our 2010 garage queen will carry on getting us around.

#6 Mendel Leisk, Dec 15, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2022
    icyrius and Tideland Prius like this.
  7. mountaineer

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    What's your deal-breaker?

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Availability of a spare tire and smaller rims.

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe wait for the Prime? With the extra incentives (qualifies for the $5k federal) plus $4k BC if you qualify, that might end up being cheaper than the regular Prius.

Still no spare though.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    And the AWD. It's interesting, but not sure I'd need it, and don't like it being non-negotiable. Fourth gen started this trend I think; weren't levels severely limited once you got a away from a few major urban locations?

My "best" option would be to buy a US base model, the one with a spare. But I'm not going there, and Toyota stripped out the 3-door touch-to-lock/unlock on that level.

It's too bad, guess I'll just have to carry on with my low-km, well maintained 2010 Touring, with LED headlights, Touring suspension/steering, 17" alloys, fogs (useless but pretty), Homelink mirror, JBL 6-CD system, and oh yeah: a spare. :LOL:

#10 Mendel Leisk, Dec 15, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2022
    Tideland Prius likes this.
  11. MalachyNG

MalachyNG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    watch out, the first year for the Gen 4 had no way to switch between miles and km.

Tideland Prius and Mendel Leisk like this.
  12. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    He's Canadian, he doesn't use Freedom Units!

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Only for 2016 and part of 2017. And it was any model with the Li-Ion battery (so Touring and Technology trim levels)

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    From the US 2023 price thread, that level is $32,295 USD, which converting to CDN currently is $44,132 (32295/.731781).

The US price is almost $8k CDN more? Is there some apples/oranges going on, or my math jumped the rails?

15. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The currency market could be a factor. Or just plain marketing, the US Prius has a higher starting price to differentiate it more from the Corolla, and increase its desirability.
    Your lower selection of trims and options also lowers costs for Toyota. For example, they don't have to pay to certify the LE's fuel economy.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  16. mountaineer

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    Car companies usually don't sell their cars in Canada at the same price they do in the US, doing a straight conversion on the current conversion rate. In the last few years, cars have been a bit cheaper on this side of the border, when you convert and compare list prices. That may be why, like in this case, Toyota offers fewer trims & options on the Prius in Canada, focusing on the higher-margin configurations.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  17. Prashanta

Prashanta Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    The top trim of Kia Sportage PHEV is $48k in Canada. It has AWD and a form factor that more people tend to prefer. It's more a competitor to the RAV4 Prime. Surely the Prius Prime will have to cost less. But I don't see Kia keeping the PHEV price low for much longer.

18. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Car companies don't usually use the current exchange rate due to fluctuations (Exception being Tesla). With the current exchange rates, I've noticed it's around 1.2x or about 84 cents to the loonie. That'll place it around CDN$38,500 which is a bit closer.

As far as I can tell, the equipment is nearly identical. The US version has the ability to add the pano roof, digital key and 12.2" multimedia display but the standard features look identical to me at first glance.

Does the US still get 2-years of Toyota Care? (that's included service/maintenance). Canada doesn't.

I hope so. But you'd have to imagine Toyota is balancing MSRP with incentives. Lopping off $5k federal at $48k, places it the same as the Prius Limited AWD and below at $45k. Then add in province rebates and Toyota will be handcuffing the regular Prius. The only reason to go the regular Prius route is because you want AWD or you don't have provincial rebates to bring the price lower.

No. Especially since the RAV4 Prime went up by $3,000 (XSE w/ Tech Pack is now $59,740 and loses embedded navigation and power passenger seat). It'll give Kia some wiggle room to increase their price but still say below the RAV4 Prime.

#18 Tideland Prius, Dec 16, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2022
    Mendel Leisk likes this.