1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2023 Prius --- first impressions in person!

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by mountaineer, Feb 22, 2023.

1. mountaineer

mountaineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    Today I sat in the 2023 (pre-production) Prius at the Toronto AutoShow. They had the XLE in Guardian Gray for guests to step into, and some sort of unicorn solar-cell-roofed 2023 Prius Prime XSE (based on the tire size) in Supersonic Red up on a pedestal behind velvet rope. I think it was the same pre-production model they had in Montreal, based on the YouTube video I watched.

I also got to test drive the bZ4X, and the Lexus NX plug-in hybrid. Hope I didn't bury the lede.

As for the Prius, it matched my impressions from (basically every) video on YouTube I've watched. I agree with some of the Youtubers who've noted that beyond the seat and wheels coverings (whose SofTex feels very nice imho) some of the materials feel cheaper than the previous gen, like the door armrest. This might be for pre-production reasons, or that the materials being more ecologically sourced may not be able to match the rich, supple qualities of the skin of cows drenched in fossil oil byproducts.

It was extremely easy to see the main spedometer display over the steering wheel, which had a nice range of adjustability. I also loved the lumbar feature of the powered seat, which to THIS (two thumbs) middle-aged man, makes the X in the XLE well worth the markup.

The smaller trunk makes the IKEA shopper in me wince a tad, but a vehicle purchase should not be based on the needs of an annual shopping excursion that is solved with a $30 delivery fee, now should it? (steps away from lecturn)

The bZ4X was familiar due to the similarity of the dash to the 5th gen Prius. I don't have great insights to share here, but I really enjoyed both test drives, and particularly the higher regen driving mode of the bZ4X, which wasn't full one-pedal driving, but got pretty close. Still waiting for a accelerator that makes it easy to find that "coast" position that is the hypermiler's friend.

Anyway seeing the 2023 Prius has sated my curiosity, and made it easier to wait for the Prime I've had on order for 50 weeks. Maybe I'll see it in May?

drash, royrose, Mr. F and 3 others like this.
  2. mountaineer

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    IMG_3260.jpeg
    The 2023 Prius Prime at the Toronto Auto Show.

IMG_3269.jpeg
    The Prius XLE

3. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    How about headroom and ease of access?

4. mountaineer

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    Headroom is much less than current gen Prime (haven't sat in the Prius), but I'm over 180cm (5'11), and moved the seat as high as it would go and it was fine. It was, however, a little more difficult to get out of, too.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Are you saying the trunk is smaller than the gen 4 Prius?

6. Nntw

Nntw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice. Glad you were able to try one on for size and thanks for sharing your impressions.

Were you able to answer the riddle of the compact spare/repair kit?

And did the Toyota types give any hint as to when Prime pricing will actually be released? is May actually a date when they hinted the Primes might hit the streets in Canada?

AND... realize this wasn't your primary interest, but were there any hints about when the bz4x will be available in the rest of canada (currently Quebec and BC only)? the dealership I plan to buy from jokes I'm first on their bz4x list...

thanks again for the show report!

#6 Nntw, Feb 23, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2023
  7. mountaineer

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    I can only compare it to my 2019 Prime, and the trunk opening is quite a bit narrower, although now the floor is flat with the rear seats down.

I didn't ask about spare tires or repair kits. They had no idea when Prime pricing would be available. I did ask about bZ4X in the rest of Canada, and they had no idea about that either, but didn't seem too optimistic.

Several of the Toyota/Lexus reps were from Montreal, and the woman I spoke to said Ontarians COULD buy the bZ4X from a Quebec dealer; they just wouldn't get the provincial rebate of $7k. So, that would seem to be an option!

bisco and Nntw like this.
  8. Nntw

Nntw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for responding to my questions. Toyota tends to keeps its cards close to its chest, so I'm not surprised there were no revelations to be had. Some of the bz4x forums indicate that cars in the US are selling for LESS than list... and here in Ontario we don't even get the privilege (;)) of buying them at full retail pop.