1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2023 Prius Prime - official prices paid thread

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by Marine Ray, Nov 27, 2022.

1. Marine Ray

Marine Ray Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Time to start this sticky or mesh in with another sticky?

dbat23 and bisco like this.
  2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I think this should be in the gen5 forum. Toyota is no longer drawing a marked difference in the Prime from the NoPlug, there is only some color accent differences, and the cars should be out in the say year.

Or we need a new subforum here.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We'll put it in the Gen 5 for now.

4. priusmouse

priusmouse Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Dealer in NY is quoting me $36,000, including all taxes and fees, for a 2023 LE “custom” order (windchill, grey interior)

They claim that when it arrives they will be able to snag me some extras/addons and perhaps a rebate or two. But iirc this is a $29k car…

Should I bite the bullet or run?

ukulelegeek likes this.
  5. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    MSRP on that config(not including any dealer-installed accessories but including Long Island taxes and fees) is $31,900. So a $4100 markup(or 12.9% above MSRP).

Personally I think that's too much, but you do you. Shop around. I suspect there's more than one Toyota dealership in your general area.

Showing my work:
    $29,040 - MSRP including destination fees.
    +$2,577 - 8.875% combined city/county/state taxes
    + $55 - NY title fee
    + $50 - NY registration fee
    + $175 - documentation fee
    = $31,897

douglasjre and ukulelegeek like this.
  6. priusmouse

priusmouse Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Yes theyre charging a 3-4000 fee. This is what an XLE should cost not an LE right? They said they will request the color combo i stated but im not sure why they were so uncertain that the windchill pearl would be still called windchill pearl. They also said they would throw in extras, im not sure if theyre telling me my custom factory order is not really a custom factory order?

This is the largest dealer in the area—it is a huge almost airport sized complex—and has the most reviews and second highest rated on google (4.5) on Long Island. The population here has enough means to consistently buy the markups, there were dozens of people buying when I was there as well.

Do you think it would make a difference if I mentioned their markup to Toyota? Does Toyota care that its dealers are charging these markups?

At these rates I start to think why not buy a tesla?

amhouin likes this.
  7. Sue Case

Sue Case Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

8. Sue Case

Sue Case Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Car Sales/Ev Sales/Hybrid Sales all down (*big time) next year due to higher interest rates. Don't rush a car purchase because "Joe Buyer" will not be buying much in 2023, thus you will see price drops. And you know a recession is coming. Why eat a big dealer mark up - when in three to four months that "mark up" will be gone due to more cars/ev's on lots, more competition and a slowing economy.

Be patient grasshopper and you will get the worm, way cheaper well into 2023.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and tesla is already offwering larger and larger discounts as sales shrink

another_tyson and ukulelegeek like this.
  10. priusmouse

priusmouse Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    yeah youre probably right.. not to make it political but im not sure why our attorney general wont go after dealers for pandemic-shortage-related price gauging. Car markups have a much bigger effect on most folks finances than toilet paper costing a few cents more

ukulelegeek likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    they have been unable to define the term, making it difficult to prosecute. might take an act of congress in a capitalist society

12. prius16

prius16 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    American Dealerships is a massively complex topic. Actually, super mega massive, times a billion.

Super mega massive simplification:
    Today, most dealerships are part of about a dozen Mega dealership conglomerates. Automotive News (subscription) details the ~dozen dealerships that get sucked up every ~4-7 days. These conglomerates, and their massive sucking in ability, make Black Holes jealous.

In most of the South, for Toyota, one Conglomerate took a massive risk, and bought up every dealership license that Toyota offered, when Toyota first started selling in America. That one conglomerate has so much political power, they put their dealership markup directly on the factory window sticker in the MSRP section (in violation of Federal Laws).

Many Dealerships, like in Florida, blatantly, and openly violate many Federal Laws.

There are still a very few good honest, and honorable dealerships. But, as the owners get older, the dealerships very often get sold to a mega conglomerate.

That above is what you are dealing with.

For a number of reasons, in the Greater NYC area, there are a number of dealers selling at MSRP.
    You can try:
    Noemi Nunez
    Assistant Manager
    Millennium Toyota
    257 N. Franklin St
    Hempstead NY 11550

I was dealing with a handful of NY dealerships. I forget if that was the "NYC area" dealership I had an order with.
    I had orders with dealerships in VT, NY, and 2 in Mass. All within ~4 hours of driving. If/when they had a car, I would have driven to the dealership, check out the car, sign the papers, pay the dealership, and if needed, have a friend drive me back another day to pick up the car.

Do not pay over MSRP.
    Especially in this market. (Unless, it's for a Ford F150 lightning, or Hummer EV.)
    Imho, you may likely to be better if you join YAA (youtube).
    At least do the free subscription.
    Note, I never joined YAA. Even though, I have learned addition things from their videos (a friend sold new cars, to help finance her way through grad school. :)).
    However, I do still watch their videos everyday, since, to me, the car market has been interesting, since I was 16.
    For the paid premium subscription members, YAA has over a dozen professionals (most used to work at dealerships), that directly work with people. Note, do not buy the YAA car warranty. Only get an extended warranty from the Manufacture. All others, are very often worth less than the paper they are printed on.

Some YAA reviews:
    Code:
    https://www.findthebestcarprice.com/yaa-review/
    My Honest Review of YAA
    Geoff Cudd

https://www.wbaltv.com/article/yaa-your-auto-advocate-dollar42m-venture/37133091
    Father-son team's effort to simplify car-buying process grows into $4.2M venture
    YouTube channel grows into online community helping car buyers
    Jul 26, 2021  (!NOTE: OUTDATED info about the car market!)

Good Luck!

#12 prius16, Dec 30, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2022
  13. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Registration fees in Colorado for my 2021 Prime in Feb. 2021 was $840, in 2022 it was $520. It doesn't matter what type of vehicle you have, EV, hybrid, SUV @ 5mpg, you pay in the same way based on MSRP and market value of the car the following years (however that value is determined by the state).
    Gas price is at $2.5-$3 now, so maybe in NY they gauge you on something else....?

14. ukulelegeek

ukulelegeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I wouldn't buy anything from crazy boy Elon.

Defrance and moonmist like this.
  15. ukulelegeek

ukulelegeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Alexander Graham Bell invented the telephone. Later that day he got a call from an extended warranty scammer.

douglasjre likes this.
  16. ukulelegeek

ukulelegeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If Elon hadn't destroyed Twitter, and acted like a fascist fool, Tesla sales would be up, not down. He's not getting a dime from me.

Defrance and Perpetual Waffle like this.
  17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don’t think they’re down, just up 40%. Vs 50% projection

18. priusmouse

priusmouse Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Yeah I never liked him. I think if Tesla had a more respectable CEO I might not have taken the plunge and put my deposit down. But as it stands there are no alternatives lol

ukulelegeek likes this.
  19. rampante550

rampante550 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    There's a chance you're at least getting something for that $4k fee - I think my dealer tacks on $2,500 for a service package on all new hybrids

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    unfortunately, with a more respectable ceo, tesla would not be. gotta take the bad with the good