1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2023 Prius Questions Thread: Let's see what I can get answered

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by Danny, Nov 30, 2022.

1. PhoS

PhoS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    I read it, took like 3 days.. Learned a bunch of stuff though, so many different features in this car!

2. mountaineer

mountaineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    bisco likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow, thanks for the heads up!

i'm not signed up, but if anyone asks questions and gets answers, please post them here.

i'm curious about the space under the hatch floor (if there is any)

Maxwell61 likes this.
  4. thnok

thnok Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I've placed a deposit and is planning to get one next month. Out of the extra port installed accessories for the XLE, anything that is recommended? I was curious about the dash cam, the lug nuts, and the floor liner.

5. Nntw

Nntw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    I've found the cargo liner to be a godsend in any minivan/sportute that I've ever had. But I think in the US (I'm in Canada) you have more people willing to deal on the accessories, so you may overpay at the dealer you buy the car from.

6. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    If you're comfortable with doing minor work yourself, I think you can save over $100 on the dash cam and still stay OEM. It looks like the dash cam is part number PT949-08230, which you can get for about $250 if you search around for the Toyota dealership with the best parts discount. I'm not certain if you also need the PT949-48210 integrated dash cam wiring harness for around an additional $35 or if the camera already comes with it.

Hopefully the parts.toyota.com website will be updated with the 2023 Prius soon so we can know things for certain(they added a few new models a week or so ago, but no Prius yet). You can normally save between 10% and 35% on OEM parts if you search multiple dealerships through parts.toyota.com(it's easy) and you can be guaranteed they're genuine parts and not counterfeits. Also free shipping over $75.

I'm also considering the dashcam, so that's why I had already looked it up.

Mendel Leisk and thnok like this.
  7. thnok

thnok Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    @Hammersmith
    thanks! Yes, I saw this on the website as well which was generally lower price. Let me know how it goes and if we need to get the wiring harness.

Seems like we need the wiring harness (look at the description);

8. Sammyd

Sammyd New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I see the Mustard color is available in Canada on the non Prime Limited. Is this news to anyone? I heard that was a Japan only color originally.

9. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    We discovered that here a month or two ago. Europe, Canada, and Japan are all getting Mustard; it's the US that is losing out for now. Very frustrating. I'm hoping demand for yellow in the US and worldwide is enough for Toyota to bring it to the US for the 2024 model year. I'm envying you folks in Canada enough that I actually looked into how difficult it would be to import one into the US since I only live three hours from the border and four hours from a reasonably major Canadian city. (But I doubt Winnipeg, MB is going to be allocated a bunch of Primes, so it's probably a moot point.)

10. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Thanks for linking that video; it was very helpful.

Some quick notes from the video:
    He confirms the wiring harness is needed, and I had the correct part number for that.
    His unit has a different part number than I found, but that's because his is a Lexus model and they are very slightly different. I might be interested in the Lexus model as I like the less obtrusive action button(black on Lexus, bright red on Toyota). MSRP on both models is the same($315), so I'm fairly confident my Toyota part number is correct. The trouble is going to be that Lexus dealers typically don't have as good of discounts as Toyota dealers, and that I don't know if the Lexus version can communicate with the Toyota app.
    His Lexus dealer also charged him for 4 clips. I don't know if that was because the install actually needed the clips, because the technician broke some existing clips during install, or if the dealer was just padding the bill a little. That part of the bill only came to an extra $12, so I'd probably order the clips just to be safe.

Needed parts for install:
    PT949-76220 - Dashcam(Lexus version) - $315 MSRP(best I could find was $283.50)
    PT949-08230 - Dashcam(Toyota version) - $315 MSRP(found as low as $252)
    PT949-48210 - Wiring Harness - $40 MSRP(found $34)
    90467-09245 - Clips(4) - $1.41 MSRP(found $1.13) - may or may not be needed

thnok likes this.
  11. thnok

thnok Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Similar to your case, something I'm skeptical is how to install it. It's kind of strange the person had to be close to $800 or so for installing + parts.

I saw this on Amazon and wondering if it's going to be similar to this Fitcamx.

12. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Install is super easy(barely an inconvenience). There's a video online about an install into a Tundra. I would guess two hours for a complete novice; well less than an hour for someone who's pulled down an upper console before and knows how those clips work(it's better to use a sharp tug than constant pressure). The trickiest part is getting the adhesive backing applied perfectly straight if you're an OCD type. The versions of the dashcam meant for a specific vehicle(like the Tundra) come with a paper template that you tape to the windshield to get the alignment correct. If you have a vehicle that doesn't have a specific model kit, then you're eyeballing it a bit and need to be careful.

Some models like the 2022 Tundra don't need the wiring harness. Before ordering, it would be a good idea to pull down the overhead console and look for an white connector above the headliner just on the driver's side of the overhead console opening. It's a smallish, rectangular plug, 5 pins wide. This is for the dashcam to be plugged into. If you don't have the plug preinstalled, then I think you need the wiring harness. The harness just acts like a splitter off the powered rear view mirror and creates a new plug point for the camera.

Here's the instruction sheet for a MY22 Tundra and a video of an owner installing it:
    http://toyotaparts.sparkstoyota.com/install/PT949-34220inst.pdf

edit: Heck, I just realized I probably could install that Toyota dashcam in my 2010 Prius II since I've already added an always-on power line with a standard connector for the auto-dimming rearview mirror I added a year ago.

#72 Hammersmith, Mar 30, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2023
    thnok likes this.
  13. thnok

thnok Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Nice find! yeah seems like it's a fairly simple install. My car is going to be coming towards May, I might as well DIY this one. The dash cam seems to be the same across different models, I wonder if we need to wait for the Prius 2023 model at all.

14. Maxwell61

Maxwell61 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    @Danny can you ask which are the kW instantaneous EV power limit for the EV mode and EV/HV AUTO mode?

15. Jim Call

Jim Call Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    1. I have the larger center display and it is more than adequate. The driver display is a bit small and takes some getting used to, but after a week of driving, it seems fine. Only problem is deciding what to actually display in the MID since there are so many options!
    2. I suspect that if you are over 6'2" or more, headroom might be an issue, but is perfect for me and my wife, both front and back.
    3. The center arm rest has a button under the front edge that depresses to open.
    4. No USB port that will accept and play a USB drive, at least that I'm aware of.
    Over all, I'm very impressed with my XLE and am enjoying the heck out of it!
    PriusvXLE 1.jpg

16. Chichiwood

Chichiwood Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    ‐-------------------------------
    I have the limited awd and this is my opinion:

1-. The driver display have a ton of settings and display modes (depends of your car options) sizes is good not too gig not too little. In my case the center display screen is the big one and is amaizing! For now the only problem is the disconnection of the wireless android auto. After used the car for more the 1 hour it get disconnect byself and get me a error on the screen.

2-. Im 6 feet tall and my head is really close to the roof. For my is easy to get in or out of the car because the driver seat go back byself after turn off the car.

3-. Have a button in the front

4-. Dosent have any usb in my case i have 6 type c connections in the car and im using a type c to usb adapter for my flash drive and works perfect!

17. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What kind of button?

18. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think they meant to quote @eaglesight333’s post. They’re answering the question about how to open the centre console.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    any word from danny?

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    did they ever print a response to the questions?