1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2023 Prius Reviews

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by Danny, Dec 14, 2022.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Funny thing about being over 6'-4½" in height .... short people may call that height super tall .... while the tall person considers their self average, & considers the short person 'super short'.
    it's all about perspective
    ;)

daisy555 and HacksawMark like this.
  2. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes! I often do feel super short. :love: I just thought the initial view in this video was so interesting. It looked like the Prius was so tiny.

hill likes this.
  3. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am still mesmerized by the red. Wish I could deal with a flashy color. Makes it look like a much more exciting purchase. Oh well…silver will bring less attention to a shiny new car.

MyPriusMarvin and HacksawMark like this.
  4. HacksawMark

HacksawMark Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I'm with you about the Red. It's nice to look at but I rather own a more conservative color like silver or gray.

daisy555 likes this.
  5. AndersOne

AndersOne Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is why we settled for gray - despite loving the yellow one. I dont really need attention all the time.

daisy555 likes this.
  6. MyPriusMarvin

MyPriusMarvin Member

I’m the opposite. I would usually go for a silver or gray (and I love the cutting edge color) but the red just got stuck in my head. And I notice now that all cars seem to be some shade of gray so I decided to go against the grain for once.

bisco and daisy555 like this.
  7. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    of course, he doesn't talk about how the prius went from a great utility vehicle to a sports car.

while i don't disagree with him (and many others) about phevs, it is a fallacy that lithium is rare.

tesla has no problem sourcing batteries, but toyota does, because they never planned on it.

setting up a supply chain takes time and money.

the other problem is that toyota isn't making enough plug in models, nor are they making enough of the two models they have to satisfy demand.

Maxwell61 likes this.
  9. tovli

tovli 2023 Prius Prime replaced 09 Prius

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Apparently "setting up a key chain" takes more time and money than the battery supply chain.

10. priusmouse

priusmouse Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Toyota is not making enough of either model to satisfy the premise that HEVs are good for the planet.

After all, if you want to have an effect savings fuel, you need to sell a lot of them.. Just like Tesla, they are trying to make it seem like a luxury. Neither of them is trying to make a practical, accessible, economic vehicle that is good for the planet anymore.

In terms of utility, look at how there is STILL no roof rack available for the new Prius. Because they don’t want the sexy sports lines ruined by a bunch of users with roof bars. I doubt theyll have one until the 2024 models are out. This year’s experience is a real PITA

Yvrdriver and bisco like this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we've been waiting for a camry phev since we bought our first hycam in 2008. i don't think phev's are really in their plans. hybrids seem to be the focus, period

#412 bisco, Aug 19, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2023
  12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    ... & yet with HEV's ... how many years & years has it that HEV sales have continually crept ever downward? Regular hybrids are great but it seems most buyers in the know are transitioning to ever higher mileage forms of transportation. Isn't that why Amazon is now running fleets of electric delivery vans? It wouldn't be too big a stretch to presume the reason a plug in Prius wasn't the bare minimum - was because they didn't have battery supply chains set up yet. It was Toyota leadership that pointed out you can make a ton of hybrids compared to a few plugins. Well yeah, if you never prepared for a massive uptick in traction packs.

#413 hill, Aug 19, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2023
  13. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here’s a nice review from Canada.

14. Yvrdriver

Yvrdriver Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A follow up to his original review of a pre-production model. It passes the panel gap test.

MyPriusMarvin, daisy555 and AndersOne like this.
  15. tovli

tovli 2023 Prius Prime replaced 09 Prius

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Redline Review: The 2023 Toyota Prius Limited Is Proof That Toyota Can Build A Cool Hybrid Vehicle

16. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A couple of new Prime reviews

daisy555 likes this.
  17. AndersOne

AndersOne Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I think its a kinda fair comparison - interesting is the part where they are going uphill on a twisty road and the prius prime is struggling alot with squeaky tires while not being able to keep up with the tesla at all.

I expected a little bit more power from the prime to be honest - as for the tires, thats kinda expected.

bisco likes this.
  18. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    LoL! The Prime didn't look like it was struggling uphill to me. It was accelerating quite nicely. Not has nicely as a 271 HP, 310 ft-lb torque, 0-60 in 5.8 sec base Model 3. I mean, why not compare the 220 HP Prius to a Corvette if you really wanna see it get beat. :rolleyes:

The Prius has an enormously increased fun-factor. And it literally DOUBLES the driving range of the Model 3.

Racing two cars with one having almost a full second advantage in the 0-60 time is a fanboy propaganda trap.

19. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    And LMAO! He said he had to stop and charge the Tesla in order to make it back home.

He also ran the test with the Prime at zero battery charge.............. (but still made the driving cost comparison)

Then he says the Tesla "arguably" looks better. Wow.

leftbrarian likes this.