1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2023 Prius Reviews

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by Danny, Dec 14, 2022.

1. Maxwell61

Maxwell61 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like the three step regulation in the video is not related to the Eco, N, Sp, Cust modes, but the one that the manual relates to the B shift position. So i don't really know why the guy set it for an acceleration test.

About that regen setting, i'm wondering if in HV mode "B" will not act as in the HEV, that makes run the engine, given the large recuperation that the big battery can handle. It could be then useful to have it always to the max regen setting and use the B if one wants to have some E-pedal like condition, not affecting the D regen level. It will sound smart.

2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    B 'gear' with the old model would increase the regen level, and then switch to working like it does in the hybrid when the battery charge is full. Different regen levels on B isn't exactly new. The Camry hybrid uses the same shifter as the ICE model with a sequential gear selection option. Without actual gears, the hybrid used them for different levels of B. Since the battery wasn't big enough for more regen, it meant selectability of engine braking levels. Combine that with how B works in the PHEV. I'm guessing the Rav4 Prime already does that.

The car in B may lock out some features. IIRC, you couldn't use cruise control and B at the same time.

Maxwell61 likes this.
  3. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    You NEVER have to "(SIC) wait 4hr wait for battery recharge" under normal usage conditions in a Prius PHEV. There is nothing wrong with interrupting the charge midway through. And when you reach the battery's limits, it will switch over to the hybrid mode for the next 600 miles. It uses almost the same energy either way. :)

Most people are not sure when they are using the ICE or the battery in the older cars.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  4. hyhi

hyhi Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    to clarify, my point of reference was in order to get a full charge on the battery pack I infer it may take 4 hours to complete the charge. granted that would mean the battery was fully discharged. don't know if the new prime, nor old prime for that matter, had a ev only button and to what degree it would 'move' the car (bad chose of word)...say to X mph speed for x period of time.

Thinking this new prime can go to a higher speed and keep it there for longer period of time. Thus if one could drive 40 miles under battery only, wonder at what 'top' speed one could do that; granted we are talking averages here due to stop and go traffic all of which come into play.

Point being, in general, wonder how far one could drive in battery only mode say when driving in town. Say 50mph top speed though again stop and go traffice now and then but not bumper to bumper.

I know that is a lot of dislike for saying this but my local bank has a charger that never seems to be used and is walking distance from my house. Maybe an hour top off now and then would give enough juice for some free miles of battery only driving (like a Tesla only may be better...well it is a prius lol). People love their Teslas it seems unless an accident and they total them due to how car is made and lack of easly repair it seems.

What can I say, I enjoy the feeling of battery only driving. Though currently that is not much since mine is only a 2020 highlander hybrid.

So, can the new prime but a miata mx5 hardtop replacement? lol, yes I know not the same though I did once trade in a 2nd gen mx5 for a prius IV some years back. And though the new prius/prime is a better ride then prior gen figure it is not yet a 'sports' car type ride.
    Enjoy your new prius and later prime when they hit dealer lots.
    Last, even though my 2020 ecvt is better then prior gen I do prefer the feeling of battery only travel thus the interest in a prime maybe one day

#144 hyhi, Apr 5, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2023
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the ev range is based on an epa test. people who hope to get it on the highway are usually disappointed.
    most everyones experience is a little different based on driving style, acceleration, speed topography, weather, etc., so you don't really know until you try it yourself.
    yes there has always been an ev button since 2012 pip, and prime can do highway speeds on ev. there does come a speed when it has to spin the engine without gas, but i'm not sure what that is on gen 4 or 5.

6. JoeBlack

JoeBlack Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius PHV
    Model:
    N/A
    A bunch of new reviews were just released, NDA probably ended.

telmo744 likes this.
  7. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
  8. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
  9. hyhi

hyhi Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Time for bed…will watch some in more detail tomorrow. 34 miles at 70mph (will need to watch whole video) would be great at that type of speed.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it would be shocking. too bad he didn't video the gauges during the test drive

11. Stevevee

Stevevee Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I do wish 17" wheels were a choice on higher trim levels. I know it's expected, but dumb. In northern climates where snow tires are a common thing, the price climbs steeply once you get past 17". Disappointed in the cargo space cut, but something has to give with style. I haven't seen one in person yet, but some photos make me think it's gorgeous, and some make me think it's a Dodge ;).

12. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    It seems the new prime has more cargo space than the previous version.

13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maxwell61 likes this.
  14. Stevevee

Stevevee Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I hate chasing down equipment and options that I believe most every car should have. When we went shopping around in December, age played a bigger role than before. Things we never really complained about suddenly had become very important. I found it hard to believe that a Rav4 hybrid only got power passenger seats at high levels, like a lot of cars today. Yet our new Camry XLE which is loaded, doesn't have memory seats, important in a single-car family with different heights. When I look at this new Prius Prime, like all models, I look at the mpg differences, primarily due to tire size, and some weight differences. If you dig deep into Toyota models and option packages, you'll find very reasonable package options that add what you really wanted. Unfortunately, these are hardly ever on the lot, especially so today.

I'd look at a new Prius that had 17" wheels, power hatch, premium stereo and the large screen. I don't want the fancy wheels or 19" or larger wheels, fake leather, or the huge panoramic moonroof with solar. To me, the mileage "ratings" don't look as compelling in the Prime as they once seemed to, and getting to $35 k or more makes my eyes wander to other vehicles. #1, more cargo room.

pakitt likes this.
  15. Nntw

Nntw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
  16. Stevevee

Stevevee Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    One interesting feature I noted in looks at all the new pictures.

Why on earth does the new screen have the volume control Waaaaaaay down in the far right. I also don't see any other buttons.

stavesacre03 likes this.
  17. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    As much as I like the new looks and the idea of moving to a new platform with updated tech with the Gen 5 (because my 2021 Prime does feel old in terms of interior tech, most of all the infotainment system), I am more and more inclined to wait as I see and read more reviews of both the Prime and the "normal" version.

There are starting to be compelling BEV CARS (not SUV/Crossovers and trucks) out there, like the Ioniq 6, but to get features that I don't consider "optional" anymore are only available on the most expensive trims. And that is usually about 10k$ more than what a Prime (old or new model it doesn't matter) would cost. The lower or basic trims are laughable and sometimes miss things that make no sense. Even with the new Prius - you have TSS3.0 standard, but then you don't get auto lights unless you get the mid-trim. It is a safety feature (not just pure convenience) that should be standard! I haven't driven a car without it in decades.

Also, coming from an "old" Prime, moving to the "new Prime is not compelling enough for me and almost a step back:
    • numbers at hand (I keep track of all the fuelings and electricity charges), I won't be saving significantly in terms of energy costs (fuel/electricity) as I I am not coming from a 20mpg vehicle. Even with the "50%" increase in EV miles.
    • MPG and MPGe are lower at the expense of more power and bigger wheels that I am not that interested in (you want the "punch" nowadays, you get an EV) - they should have kept the efficiency the same while increasing power, if only only a bit more - clearly they feel the pressure of what EVs can deliver
    • I still have to do maintenance every 6 months/1 year for an ICE that "never" gets used - BEVs have little to no maintenance - I HATE going to dealers, which are getting more and more desperate to make money since maintenance is getting less and less relevant on new vehicles
    • warranty is not the best, especially compared to Hyundai/Kia (and probably other manufacturers) - which now have interesting things for me to look at
    • the new Prius is, after all, still an hybrid: having the luck of a garage with a 240V plug, the next logical step for me would be a BEV. I bought the Prime in 2021 because just two years ago there wasn't really anything out there in terms of BEVs (except Tesla, which was way more expensive, and I don't like Musk...) - Toyota missed an opportunity to offer this new Prius without a BEV option. Hyundai/Kia can do it, why not Toyota?
    • I am not really happy reading here more and more about Toyota dealers not selling at MSRP, which seems to be not customary anymore at other dealers like BMW, Hyundai, KIA, Volvo/Polestar, Tesla. And the fact that I cannot simply order what I want and wait for it - no, you get what they get or what they decide to get; I was lucky with my Prime, probably because it is after all an old model that in early 2021 nobody wanted.
    • a petty thing, maybe, but there are no colors. Blue and red, and infinite shades of grey. Wth.
    My husband had to change is 10 year old BMW 428iX and the i4 came out at the right time. It is a fantastic experience to drive a full BEV. I love my Prius very much, this is my 3rd one, but I am thinking more and more this is going to be the last one, and the last Toyota too.
    I don't feel Toyota is competitive anymore (no BEVs, meh warranty, absurd trims with no choice at all), also in customer service (their dealers leave a lot to be desired - I don't know how other brands' dealers are - hopefully there is some differentiation there).

At the same time I feel the car market (in general) is moving toward no options, basic trim levels that exist only to push you even more to the highest trims, some options lacking completely for unknown reasons (head-up displays even in top trims - this for me is a safety feature - it should be at least an option), and focusing excessively on looks and top accelerations speeds (20" wheels, what for??) than a real benefit for daily driving - which is what we all do - stuck on the highway.

I feel there is less and less option from manufactures. Why, I am not too sure.
    I am checking websites of several manufactures as I try to find a BEV, and it feels like they are all in a "take it or leave it" posture, and pushing for the highest and most expensive trims to get what should be basic/common features or at least an option. And some of those, are not even available in the top trims.
    COVID is well over, including logistics and bottlenecks in production related to it, and inflation that is not really related anymore to energy prices, etc.; COVID was a real problem; not anymore - for me this is a market trend, not a side effect of COVID. And for some reason I feel it is only going to get worse with the introduction of subscriptions everywhere in the car.

End of rant.

bisco likes this.
  18. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Because "reasons". In the Japanese reviews (right-hand drive) the button is also on the opposite side of the driver. I guess they think that the driver should use the steering wheel while looking at the road and the button is for the passenger. It is a safety feature, isn't it?

dbstoo likes this.
  19. Stevevee

Stevevee Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There's a lot to complain about with new cars of all types today. But lest we forget, the NHTSA basically controls our vehicle designs today, not the manufacturers. As a result, all brands have had to scramble around trying to meet their mandates, which has made car prices soar for years. As for Toyota? Toyota typically is behind in offering new tech features, but I feel they've always wanted to be first in reliability, certainly not features. Until they prove otherwise, I'll not mention Hyundai/Kia in the same sentence. That's a company that had to make a lifetime warranty for replacing engines, but only due to a class action settlement. They have that 10 year/100k warranty for a reason. Heck, they fought consumers for years with the bad engines. They'll have to earn trust.

20. Stevevee

Stevevee Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    LOL. Having a screen effectively eliminates all safety features. I find the knob (if placed correctly) easier and less distracting than the steering wheel controls. The old cruise controls on the stick were easier to use than the new steering wheel controls, which I found myself continually looking down to see where the right little button was. Same with radio controls. The latest ones are not easier, and more distracting.

pakitt likes this.