1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured 2023 Prius spy shot

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by dctalk523, Sep 17, 2022.

1. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    2023 Corolla Cross Hybrid | Toyota.com
    The US has the corolla cross hybrid, the American verson of that era hatch hybrid.

#21 austingreen, Sep 22, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2022
  2. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As @Trollbait has stated previously in another thread, the Prius is listed as a sedan with a hatch. The Corolla Cross (and I assume the hybrid version) is listed under the Crossover/SUV banner. Purely marketing slots but that's currently what Toyota is aiming for.
    You're probably correct about the 2L since it was recently reengineered for a 41% thermal efficiency. It is a big confusing mess about the Prius Prime as I've read anything between the C-HR morphing into either part of the bZ family or the Prius family (as the Prius Prime) or both. :LOL: The Prius hybrid seems to be written in stone since we already have dimensions, powertrains and a spy shot.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So the regular Prius will continue with the 1.8 litre and the Prime/PHV with the 2.0 litre? Interesting.

It's definitely targeting Europe for the PHV for higher speed driving.

I wrote it in another thread but my guess is that the Prime will have 15.8 or 17.6kWh with a range of 65km (smaller estimate) to 77km (the larger battery estimate).

bwilson4web likes this.
  4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    That would have improved my opinion although some of the control laws drove me nuts below 55 F (13 C.) Still, I could have lived with it.

Bob Wilson

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Why would Toyota be going up to 17kWh when that's never been necessary to get the full tax deduction.

6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    They did 18kWh for the Rav4 Prime.

drash and hill like this.
  7. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Well, all that ^ and ^^, but the full tax deduction is over (in the U.S.) since they went past the 200K, and only marginal incentives continue now. The batteries won't be North American made, so that eliminates next years (U.S.) deduction as well, unless Toyota has some N.A. assembly magic they haven't announced yet. News flash: they won't.

If Toyota doesn't make the entire Prius Gen5 line PHEV (at least models for sale in North America), the reviewers will just yawn, or worse. Sedans are still losing more of their piece of the pie. So, either way, it might not make much difference what they do, since sales of the Prii are withering away. My wife doesn't even want my Prius Prime, and I'm giving it to her to replace her 2013 when my next car arrives.

#27 DavidA, Sep 23, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
  8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You know you're not the only country in the world that has incentives, right?

There are other thresholds in other countries. Ours used to be 15kWh and now it's 50km or greater range for PHEVs to qualify for the maximum rebate (otherwise it's half).

drash, Louis19 and bwilson4web like this.
  9. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Must have been because I traded in the 2017 Prius Prime, ~8 kWh, instead of the 2014 BMW i3-REx, 18 kWh. <GRINS>

It is the right direction but now I've got 81,000 miles on our 2019 Tesla Model 3 and it is not for sale. However, we may trade it in after the IRA bill becomes law for a Tesla Model Y. <WINK>

Bob Wilson

10. Prashanta

Prashanta Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    I hope the battery isn't that big. That's just adding cost and weight for range that most people won't need on a daily basis. If they intend to increase the price significantly, they should put a Lexus badge on it.

I'm hoping for about a 12 kwh battery, improved electric power and e-awd.

11. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    EV battery technology has considerably advanced since 2014 so the cost and weight gains are minimal ... if they can buy them. The mass adoption of EV technology has caught the suppliers short which drives up the manufacturer costs. But additional weight should not be an issue thanks to EV battery technology advances.

Bob Wilson

Mambo Dave likes this.
  12. dctalk523

dctalk523 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  13. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    From what I understand, the Prime is slower than the regular models now due to the way they needed to gear a part of the transmission for the battery power, so perhaps the 2L is making up for the speed loss?

14. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Is the Prime tranny much different except for the addition of the sprag clutch (which is really between the engine block and the flywheel)? my understanding was that just gives it one more operating regime the spragless version doesn't have.

15. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I don't think the North American+ supply requirements for the plug in credit go into effect next year. Looks like there is only the one of not getting them from a foreign entity 'of concern'. The NA final assembly one is already in place. Toyota might be able to move the Rav4p production here if they push it. The hybrid is already made here.

The E-awd adds cost and weight for something that people don't need on a daily basis.;)

A large research survey of current and past plug in owners returned that people want 176 miles in a PHEV. More importantly for Toyota, there is range requirements tied to incentives around the world.

Plenty of space under that hood for more battery.:p

In the EV mode, it had a slower 0 to 60 time than the Prius. Otherwise they were really close.

The 2L in the new one could be to make up for heavier weight from the battery, but I think Toyota is shifting their PHEVs to be power hybrids to compete with what most of the world's available PHEVs, and also BEVs. The Rav4p might be the fastest car the Toyota brand sells.

The Red Baron and Mambo Dave like this.
  16. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What’s the best way to follow any updates on the 2023 Prius models? I’ve been waiting for a 2022. Next allocation is occurring at my local dealership but I was hoping to see the 2023 specs before committing.

I dislike the big screen and smaller hatch area of the 2022 Prime and I’m feeling I’ll regret choosing the 2022 Prius AWD after a few years. I’m not in the position to trade in every few years.

Are there any other cars I should be looking at within this price range? : / I LOVE my 2009 as long as cat doesn’t get stolen again!
    Thanks!

17. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wasn't aware it was any different (Are you thinking Prius v? That vehicle had a shorter final drive ratio to offset its extra weight).

The Prime is also 100kg heavier (150kg?) than the regular Prius so that'll play into the acceleration times.

18. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The sprang allowed both motors to work as a single, forward motor instead of MG1 trying to turn the engine backwards. <grins>

Bob Wilson

19. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yeah, that's the regime the ECU would have to avoid going into in a non-Prime, as in that case it would end up turning the engine backwards.

20. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    It's what I garnered from watching the video tear-down of the Gen4 transmission. Perhaps I misunderstood.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  21. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ohh I see. Hmm. I don’t think I watched that Weber episode so we’ll go with what you said then

22. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Wow...I'm definitely impressed at how close it looks to the illustrations.

I've been eagerly awaiting info on this as it very well may be my next car. (y) And I've been waiting a LONG time ( I skipped the 4th gen models ).

Sarge, drash and Tideland Prius like this.