1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2023 Prius XLE AWD First Drive

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by Downrange, May 25, 2023.

1. Downrange

Downrange Active Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    Wifey and I picked up her new 23 Prius AWD today, and I took it out later for a short drive to check it out. It was rainy all day, so I drove pretty mildly, but it is quite peppy, more like my old WRX than my 22 Prius Prime. The 19 inch wheels and factory tires had a lot of grip, but I didn't want to test it too far, but certainly confidence-inspiring! Surprisingly, my 6.6 frame fit very well in the front seats. I had about 3/4 inch clearance above my head, which is just adequate. The seats are comfortable, but nothing really special. But the overall feeling is that the interior is a huge upgrade over my Base Prime. Controls are generally better placed and operation is more intuitive. I do feel I'm riding pretty low to the ground, but the overall driving visibility was as good as my Prime. The rear view is a bit truncated due to the redesign and I can see why some might opt for the rear view camera available here in the Limited trim, but I don't consider it essential.

A couple of observations about the ride quality: I appreciated the firm handling and road feel, but I think there is about 10 per cent more road noise coming from those huge wheels and tires. Ride quality on bumpy roads was not much different overall though from the Prime with the smaller wheels. Handling was good with very crisp turn-in and only mild understeering. Midrange torque of the new 2.0L Atkinson cycle engine is quite good. Mashing the accelerator pedal down about one third climbing a small hill produces a (new for a Prius) quite satisfying feeling of getting up the hill without a wound out engine and disconcerting sounds from the valves like the older engine usually produced for me. In all, the 2L is more civilized, and, unless you insist on a long run at WOT, the sounds emitted are not so unpleasant. I can only imagine how the new Prime will be with more even more available HP from the battery.

The basic sound system is very adequate, but not a lot better than the six speaker system in my Prime. The 8 inch display is a nice improvement on the smaller (7 inch?) screen in my car. There are some standard features like blind spot and rear crossing alerts that were only available in 2022 on the top Prime trim (+5K). I'm looking forward to testing more in the coming days, but it's already a big hit here with both of us!

Attached Files:

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats, and all the best!

Downrange likes this.
  3. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for sharing your first impressions. Hope your wife enjoys her new car!

Downrange likes this.
  4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sweet! Congrats! Thanks for the first impressions and comparo!

5. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    That is freaking crazy you fit in the new Prius at 6'6". You must have legs like a grasshopper! If your head clearance is 3/4 inches, you're definitely looking through the top of the windshield and almost into the visor area. I have about 1.5 inches of clearance at 6'3" and I'm near the top of the windshield. Reclining my seat a notch really helped. Did you do that? And you say visibility is as good as your 22 Prime??!!! In what universe?? My 2019 feels cavernous compared to the "sporty" feel of the 2023. At my torso height, I feel like I am at the very limit of fit.

Downrange likes this.
  6. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was thinking the same but didn’t say it. : } I’m 5’3 and the Gen 4 felt spacious compared to the Gen 5. How do you tall guys deal with your head being so close to the headliner. I’ll need to adjust to this in order to have a comfortable view out the windshield. I don’t like feeling like I’m sitting on the floor or about to hit my head. I guess tall people are used to this feeling.

Preebee and Downrange like this.
  7. Downrange

Downrange Active Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    Ha ha ha, I'm pretty used to being crammed in cars! My wife is 5-9 and has to raise the seat after I drive. I drop it all the way to the floor, and recline it a bit to fit. My legs are only 34" so most of my height is torso. But it's not hard to get used to ducking under the visor to see the light turn green overhead if I pull up too far! I had a sports car that was really challenging, but I found a company that made an adapter that removes the entire seat forward/back assembly and bolts the seat to the floor! The things we do to enjoy our toys!
    I wouldn't want to say the Gen 5 has as much room or visibility as the 4, but it's adequate for me.

bisco, daisy555 and Preebee like this.
  8. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I actually looked at getting a Prius back in the day... I'm guessing it was a Gen3. When I sat in the car I was looking out the top of the windshield. I rejected it outright and never looked again until 2019 which felt wayyyy roomier. I am sure I had the seat down on the Gen3 also. Perhaps they lowered the seat in the Gen4's?

Reclining the seat a notch from full upright really helped in the 2023. Got my eyes more in the top-middle area of the windshield, instead of the top. And no, I can't see out the sides or back lol. It's basically a sports car now. You can't have spacious and roomy + sexy styling at the same time it seems. I'm ready to experience the wild side of the Prius for a few years LOL.

I just hope the hypermiling ability is still intact. I can get 650 miles on a tank in my 2019 LE (that's without driving like a 'tard). I'd like to try and extend that on the 2023. But if it's just comparable, I'll be happy.

Downrange likes this.
  9. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Being tall, dark, and handsome comes at a price... :LOL:

I'm glad you found a way to make it work. I was really sad when I first sat in the 2023 that it wasn't going to. Then after a few sit down visits (and a million walks around the car lol), I resigned myself to exotic fitting methods because I WANTED THIS CAR! :giggle:

My inseam is 33, but I wear a 44-46 long jacket. You sir deserve the official "Can o' Sardines" award. (y)

Downrange and daisy555 like this.
  10. SupersonicPrius

SupersonicPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Your experience tracks with mine - congrats on the new car.

Downrange likes this.
  11. Bob P.

Bob P. New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    I've been driving our 2023 LE AWD for about two weeks and am quite happy with the purchase. The seats are comfortable for me at 6 feet and 240 lbs. The speedometer display has not been a problem for my wife (5 ft. 6 in.) or myself, with the seat height kept at a happy medium position that we are both satisfied with. We just slide the seat forward or back and are ready to go.

We are averaging 51 mpg with no concessions made from our normal driving styles. The headlights are good. The sound system is OK, not great and not bad.

Handling is great. The A-pillars do get in the way at times. Power is good but I'll find out more about that after the break-in (1k miles).

It's a very stylish machine.