1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2023 Prius XLE AWD verses 2023 Corolla Cross Hybrid XSE AWD

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Fuel Economy & Prime EV Range' started by daisy555, May 16, 2023.

1. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi again,

I know I'm popping up everywhere here! : )

Anyone have the patience to give me their thoughts on my most recent quandary? I'm comparing these two because I'm realizing I might need to prioritize comfort over mpg due to low sport style seating in the Prius. Removing the purchase price from the equation I'm focusing on safety, fuel economy, maintenance and resale value (in case I end up disliking Prius).

My 40 min commute is an equal mix of highway and roads of aprox 30-40mpg. I can also take a route that is mostly 40-50 mph. I'm guessing that would still be considered highway driving. Prius gets 49 city/50 highway Cross Hybrid gets 45 city/38 highway. It's the Cross 38 mpg highway that's killing me. Gas is obviously not going to get cheaper. Tire replacement would be about the same. I'm not positive yet if Cross Hybrid XSE has exact same safety features as Prius XLE but pretty close.

I know there is probably a longer wait for a Cross Hybrid which might make the decision for me. They are starting to show up in allocations. Toyota had to put a softex/striped fabric combo on XSE seats. Ugh! It does have a leather steering wheel which was shocking to see. Reviews seem quite favorable.

Fixed income + gas price increases means I probably should go with 2023 Prius until something better comes along or backpedal to a hard to find a slightly used 2022 XLE with more comfortable seating. I don't need a faster car but I like the idea of newer styling.

Any thoughts? Did I post this in the right place? Thanks!

2. mountaineer

mountaineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    How long do you plan to hang on to the vehicle?

3. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Typically due to my financial circumstances I keep car well maintained and until it gets to a point where repairs are too expensive. My 2009 has 207k. Bought in 2015 for 11k.

If I can adjust to the 2023 Prius, I will keep it as long as I can. If not, I will drive it while hoping for compact SUV. I’m guessing hybrid technology might be maxed out at 42 mpg for a small SUV at this point due to weight and lack of aerodynamics.

#3 daisy555, May 16, 2023
    Last edited: May 16, 2023
  4. mountaineer

mountaineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    Sounds like you value the efficiency of the Prius, and have a fair bit of regular highway driving. Your monthly budget won't regret the Prius, and like you say, waits for the Corolla Cross will probably make the decision for you.

daisy555 likes this.
  5. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for the affirmation!

6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Considering the adjusted EPA rating of the gen2 Prius, you probably won't do much worse with the Cross than your current car. Depending on the specifics of the route, it might do better. The Cross and Prius both have TSS 3.0.

I assume AWD isn't a must have, and AWD Prius is what is being shipped to your region. Is Toyota a must have? The new Niro can match the XLE Prius mpg in the city, and its cabin is more spacious.

7. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes only AWD being shipped. I would prefer FWD but not going to travel for it. I tested the Niro and it didn’t feel as solid as Toyota. I was surprised to see Toyota wasn’t able to build the Cross Hybrid to match Niro’s fuel economy.

Alessandro_Ibi likes this.
  8. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The Cross has a larger engine and is heavier. The Niro's drag coefficient is 0.29, which is around that of a typical sedan. The Cross's is likely higher.

daisy555 likes this.
  9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Trollbait likes this.
  10. bison3

bison3 New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I was looking to buy a 2022 Prius and was actually on the waiting list since mid 2022. I think I preferred the interior and the general look of the 2022 over the 2023 (I know that is not a popular opinion but Idk I like the look of the gen 4s). Last week I finally got to pick up my new 2023 and I really do enjoy it. This is my first car and I kind of always knew it would be a Prius and despite my preference of the gen 4 over the gen 5 I really do enjoy my Prius so far. The interior is a little small but from a financial perspective getting a used gen 4 for basically the same price as my brand new gen 5 made it a no brainer and I definitely do not regret it. Plus the wireless apple car play and the TSS 3.0 is magnificent.

Hope this helps, I did get a 2023 LE Prius so if you have any questions I'd be happy to answer them.

drash, bisco and daisy555 like this.
  11. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. Nice to hear you are enjoying your new and first car. Must be exciting!

I also don’t mind the look of the Gen 4 except maybe the info screen area of dashboard. I will miss not having the Gen 4 cargo space but the improved safety features are important.

How is the low entry for you? Not hitting your head? : } I really won’t know if it’s going to work for me until I get a chance to take one for a drive. The height adjustments I need (seat and steering wheel) will potentially cause a need to crouch when getting in an out.

I saw the post about your great fuel economy. I would get an LE but I need the XLE for the seat comfort plus I recently found out the cloth seats are coated with something that trigger my chemical sensitivities. Softex doesn’t seem to bother me as much. Wish local dealer could get an XLE with FWD. We get maybe one or two snow storms per year. I guess AWD helps in the rain too. Will miss the 15 in tires of my 2009 Prius.

12. bison3

bison3 New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    The low entry is definitely not the best, I'm 6' 2'' so I have the hunch over to get into the car. Not ideal but it is something I personally can look past with this car. I've not hit my head (yet) but I had a passenger on the front side that did so If it's something that you're concerned about I agree it would probably be best to try to see if you can sit in one before you buy.

I wish you the best on getting a new Prius!!

13. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi it’s me again!

I drove a friend’s 2021 Forester on a long road trip over the past week. Love the car and cabin (not the 27mpg) but noticed while driving on some majorly curvy highway areas that my body was tensing up. I know I was a tad nervous driving someone else’s car but there was something else going on. Taking curves in an SUV felt a bit uncomfortable.

Body roll and center of gravity issue? Prius being lower to the ground feels more secure? I’m asking in case I test drive the 2023 Prius and the seat and display placement don’t work for me. I might have to get Corolla Cross Hybrid. Ironically a Corolla Cross Hybrid will be arriving around the same time as my Prius but for another customer. Exact specifications I would want. : /

14. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    You will never feel nervous taking the new Prius through the curves... :cool:

Yes, SUV's have high center's of gravity. Push some of them too hard and they'll even roll.

I sit down in the seat just like I would a chair, then rotate my feet around. I also put a hand up next to my head with my fingers pointing slightly back (towards the car). They slightly brush the top of the entry as I sit down and act as a guide.

Most people can bend enough at the waist while sitting to touch their chest to their legs. This is far more flexibility than is required to enter the Prius without striking the head. :)

#14 Preebee, Jun 24, 2023
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2023
    daisy555 likes this.
  15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Forester definitely has a higher centre of gravity. I'm almost 6' tall and the seat of the Forester is practically at hip height so I slide right in. It also has good ground clearance and a taller roof for better headroom. It's a safe car but I have seen it rollover in a t-bone collision (low city speeds... like 35mph. To be fair, the other vehicle was wedge-shaped - Suzuki Aerio)

daisy555 likes this.
  16. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The owner of this Forester bought it for ground clearance. She wants to be safer in storm flooded streets. Being 5’ 3 it felt like I was climbing into it compared to my 2009 Prius. : }

Tideland Prius likes this.
  17. Stevevee

Stevevee Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm in a wait and see mode. My driving time hasn't increased much, and my GTI only has 13k miles on it, so no rush. In December we wanted a new car, so we enthusiastically went down to take out a Rav4Hybrid. Hated it. Between the engine noise and no possibility of a power passenger seat, we were ready to walk. No Venzas to be seen either. We were headed to Florida for several months, and no way even I was going to do that in my car. So we ended up in a new AWD Camry XLE, not a hybrid, they had none. Camry was comfortable, packed like a mule, and achieved great mileage, 37-40 mostly. I never expected this mileage out of the Camry, but it all calculated spot on. It has almost 6,000 miles now from zero, but mostly the Florida trip. With around town and a few shorter trips it averages a steady 27 plus. But again, fill the tank every 5 weeks or so? LOL. Basically we need one car.

I thought of the Cross hybrid as well, the non hybrid is just.no.fun. Again, no power passenger seat. The new Prius, of which I've never seen one in all this time, doesn't have the cargo room or set height I want.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we've been taking a camry or hycam to florida for 20 years. very quiet and comfortable. the 2013 hycam gets low 40's highway and around town. i want to get a new one but nothing available